• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

speedracercjr

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat EB
Occupation
O&G
Is there a certain order that the modules should be updated in? I'm still stuck on failed 1.7.1 and I swear I thought I saw on one of the many threads someone saying you have to update the gateway module before everything else or something like that.
Sponsored

OP
OP

iceman77

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Platinum
Is there a certain order that the modules should be updated in? I'm still stuck on failed 1.7.1 and I swear I thought I saw on one of the many threads someone saying you have to update the gateway module before everything else or something like that.
That is correct. There is TSB out there that instructs to update GWM in FDRS prior updating APIM. In my case GWM was up to date so I could skip this step. For all other modules it did not matter what order I chose to update.

For the latest, 2.3.0 OTA equivalent, you need to update both TCU and APIM. The order which to do first does not matter, but both modules need to be updated, but FDRS will force you to do both

OP
OP

iceman77

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Platinum
NOTICE: If you updated the DDM/PDM modules, you need to run the 'Power Door Window Initialization' for both modules. This can be found in each of the module task window (on the right hand side). This is needed for your windows auto open/close to work

OP
OP

iceman77

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Platinum
NOTICE: Your truck may exhibit a Reverse Brake Assist Unavailable message after module programming has been completed. This may be due to a network interruption from programming or configuring modules, which can cause steering center find to be reset. When the steering center find is reset, this causes various features to become disabled. The steering center find can be relearned by driving the vehicle approximately 5 minutes above 18 mph (30 km/h) straight ahead on a flat surface with no steering inputs for a few seconds. When Steering center is found the Reverse Brake Assist Unavailable message will go away.

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Powerboost
Anybody have any experience with certain completed module updates not being reflected in FDRS? For most module updates, once the update has been completed, it disappears from the update tab. For me, two don’t do that. I have tried to update ABS and GSM a couple of times. Each time, the update appears to complete normally—no failure notices. But the update isn’t deleted from FDRS. Logging out, logging back in and performing a fresh network scan has no effect.

Sponsored
OP
OP

iceman77

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Platinum
Anybody have any experience with certain completed module updates not being reflected in FDRS? For most module updates, once the update has been completed, it disappears from the update tab. For me, two don’t do that. I have tried to update ABS and GSM a couple of times. Each time, the update appears to complete normally—no failure notices. But the update isn’t deleted from FDRS. Logging out, logging back in and performing a fresh network scan has no effect.
Yep, when I run network scan, sometimes it offers SW update for modules that I have updated previously. If I try to subsequently update it, the update process just skips the procedure and finishes with reconfiguring the module. Then subsequent network scan shows nothing. The GSM module particularly does not want to disappear from my SW updates tab. I have updated it already, but FDRS is still showing as SW update available. I am sure it has the latest software. Seems to be bug either on FDRS side or on Ford's database side.

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yep, when I run network scan, sometimes it offers SW update for modules that I have updated previously. If I try to subsequently update it, the update process just skips the procedure and finishes with reconfiguring the module. Then subsequent network scan shows nothing. The GSM module particularly does not want to disappear from my SW updates tab. I have updated it already, but FDRS is still showing as SW update available. I am sure it has the latest software. Seems to be bug either on FDRS side or on Ford's database side.
Thanks. That helps.

Darkjeep

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, CR-V
Occupation
God of Tech
So is everyone using their own license for FDRS, or can I find a login online?

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
So is everyone using their own license for FDRS, or can I find a login online?
The license is registered to the computer when activated. You can’t use the same license on more than one machine. So, you’ll need your own.

BHunted1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford-150 Platinum Hybrid
Occupation
Retired
I had the same issue with my APIM stuck with the 1.7.1 OTA update. The truck has recognized the USB flash drive was inserted but for the love of God it would not kick off the SW update. I have struggled with this for a full day and then I gave up and left the USB flash drive plugged in. On 2nd or 3rd day, I pulled in to my driveway and notification saying “Don Not Remove USB drive” popped up on my SYNC screen. I followed the USB update instructions and all went well from there.

This issue is typical for APIM modules stuck with the 1.7.1 OTA update. Several other users reported this glitch on the forum here, you just have to be patient. It will eventually kick in.

NOTE: I even tried to Hard Reset my SYNC, perhaps out of desperation. Not sure if that helped to get the update going. Note though, hard reset will knock your truck out from FordPass and you will have to re-register it
OK, got their flash drive and dumped it to a new faster one I got. Also made copies of the files and stowed them on my laptop. Went cruising around for a while and tried multiple time outs. NG. So I'm just leaving it in there as you have.

IF by some crazy reason it starts in the next day or so and completes, does it have to go back onto an frds at the dealer or will it run as is? Just don't want to stuck and have to tow the dang truck.
In the mean time, they ordered a new APIM.... they have no idea how long to get it. Ugh. Kind of hope this solves the prob without it.

Sponsored

Darkjeep

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, CR-V
Occupation
God of Tech
So I either wait for updates, or befriend a local Ford tech so they can be distracted while I download every update they have. Twin cities Ford peeps I need you.

OP
OP

iceman77

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Platinum
OK, got their flash drive and dumped it to a new faster one I got. Also made copies of the files and stowed them on my laptop. Went cruising around for a while and tried multiple time outs. NG. So I'm just leaving it in there as you have.

IF by some crazy reason it starts in the next day or so and completes, does it have to go back onto an frds at the dealer or will it run as is? Just don't want to stuck and have to tow the dang truck.
In the mean time, they ordered a new APIM.... they have no idea how long to get it. Ugh. Kind of hope this solves the prob without it.
I feel your pain, I went through this stuck 1.7.1 OTA nightmare myself. I did master reset my APIM multiple times, hoping this will kick off the SW update, but it did not. At least not right away. I left the USB drive connected and went on with my life. The next day afternoon I re-entered my parked truck and when I turned on the ignition, the APIM SW update popped up on my SYNC screen. It went smooth from there. You don't need FDRS to finish the APIM (or any other) module SW update that runs from the USB flash drive. The truck will eventually report the updated SW versions for your modules to the "mothership".

In fact, by the time I finally managed to update my APIM, my FDRS license expired, so I could not report the APIM SW update was successful. But the truck did it itself, and two days later I received the 2.1.0 OTA.

Last edited:

BHunted1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
I feel your pain, I went through this stuck 1.7.1 OTA nightmare myself. I did master reset my APIM multiple times, hoping this will kick off the SW update, but it did not. At least not right away. I left the USB drive connected and went on with my life. The next day afternoon I re-entered my parked truck and when I turned on the ignition, the APIM SW update popped up on my SYNC screen. It went smooth from there. You don't need FDRS to finish the APIM (or any other) module SW update that runs from the USB flash drive. The truck will eventually report the updated SW versions for your modules to the "mothership".

In fact, by the time I finally managed to update my APIM, my FDRS license expired, so I could not report the APIM SW update was successful. But the truck did it itself, and two days later I received the 2.1.0 OTA.
Fantastic! This has been going on since Nov21… cross fingers, toes and anything else I have in pairs. ?????

OP
OP

iceman77

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Platinum
The good news is, once you get past this doomed 1.7.1 OTA update, any subsequent USB based updates work fine. I have updated this way my APIM, TCU and GWM

BHunted1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
The good news is, once you get past this doomed 1.7.1 OTA update, any subsequent USB based updates work fine. I have updated this way my APIM, TCU and GWM
What about future OTA updates?
I’m tired of going to the dealer for everything.
Sponsored