• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Toby57

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F-150 XL 101A
Occupation
retired
That’s not plug n charge. You still have to activate it in the app.

Plug n charge is when you pull up, plug in and it starts charging without any further interaction. No app required.
With no app, how are you billed? Are you inserting a debit card like a gas pump? Please tell me yes. I have not heard or read of a charge station that has a debit card slot.
Sponsored

data003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Computer Nerd
With no app, how are you billed? Are you inserting a debit card like a gas pump? Please tell me yes. I have not heard or read of a charge station that has a debit card slot.
It’s done via V2G (vehicle to grid) ISO 15118. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_15118

Ford issues a certificate to your vehicle to uniquely identify it. You provide Ford a method of payment through FordPass. Ford then ties the two together in its systems.

Then when you pull up to a charger the vehicle’s certificate is provided to the charger. The charger then contacts Ford to get the payment details using the certificate details.

It’s more complicated than this because of security issues but that’s the general idea.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
EV Go AutoCharge + is a true plug and charge with no phone / app or card needed.

You do have to put your card info in the app to get charged for the session.

Toby57

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F-150 XL 101A
Occupation
retired
It’s done via V2G (vehicle to grid) ISO 15118. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_15118

Ford issues a certificate to your vehicle to uniquely identify it. You provide Ford a method of payment through FordPass. Ford then ties the two together in its systems.

Then when you pull up to a charger the vehicle’s certificate is provided to the charger. The charger then contacts Ford to get the payment details using the certificate details.

It’s more complicated than this because of security issues but that’s the general idea.
Thank you. I take that to mean FordPass is on or through the truck, not your phone.

Toby57

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F-150 XL 101A
Occupation
retired
EV Go AutoCharge + is a true plug and charge with no phone / app or card needed.

You do have to put your card info in the app to get charged for the session.
I'm not following this. Quote no phone/app or card needed. put your card info in the app. Unquote.
Too anyone. Where is card info? Truck? Fordpass? another app?
Thanks

Sponsored

Toby57

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F-150 XL 101A
Occupation
retired
Read the link data003 posted. That explains a lot. Thank you.

Toby57

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F-150 XL 101A
Occupation
retired
In my Opinion, info in that link is a selling point. That info should be better known and explained to non EV owners. Not that I am blaming anyone here.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
I'm not following this. Quote no phone/app or card needed. put your card info in the app. Unquote.
Thanks
Here's what I did in sequence:

1. Download EV GO app to your mobile device.
2. Register your info using the app.
3. Load credit or debit card info to EV Go app.
4. Enter your VIN # into the AutoCharge + enrollment page and wait for VIN verification.
5. Wait to receive info on how to activate AutoCharge + for the first time.
6. Drive your EV to an EV Go L3 (DCFC) station, open the app, select the charger, then plug in to start charging.
7. After the initial session, you no longer need your phone or app to start charging. You just plug and charge!

Toby57

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F-150 XL 101A
Occupation
retired

gsquirrel02

First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Pathfinder
Thanks
Once you've registered your vehicle info in AutoCharge+ in the EVgo app, you don't need to use the app anymore to charge. The charge station will recognize your vehicle when you plug it in, and EVgo will send info about the session to Ford.

Sponsored

Toby57

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F-150 XL 101A
Occupation
retired
Once you've registered your vehicle info in AutoCharge+ in the EVgo app, you don't need to use the app anymore to charge. The charge station will recognize your vehicle when you plug it in, and EVgo will send info about the session to Ford.
That is the way I understand it, thanks.
I don't like it.
To charge there two apps have my banking info and Ford?
Seems to me the Rube Goldberg way of doing it.
I truly don't understand why they can't put a debit card slot and do it like gas pumps do.
People already trust that.

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
That is the way I understand it, thanks.
I don't like it.
To charge there two apps have my banking info and Ford?
Seems to me the Rube Goldberg way of doing it.
I truly don't understand why they can't put a debit card slot and do it like gas pumps do.
People already trust that.
That's WAY more dangerous and susceptible to theft. Numbers get lifted all the time at gas pumps. Not with auto-pay apps, which do NOT know your credit card number after being set up intially. They are like ApplePay, which is super-secure. When you plug in, the only info exchanged is the vehicle handshake, no financial data at all. You CAN still pay at most pylons with only a credit card - but you don't put it in a slot or swipe, you just hold it at the right spot and it reads the chip. Both EVGo and EA work this way if you wish, but it's old-school.

Toby57

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F-150 XL 101A
Occupation
retired
Did not know that. Thanks. I would much rather use that chip than have my info on an app.
If that makes me old school that is not a problem for me.
Apps can change at any time and if the user wishes to keep using the app the user must accept these changes/updates.

Ffxdude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning
Used Autocharge+ and one of the new Ultium chargers for the first time tonight. It was such a seamless experience. The location was great too, had a canopy, trash cans, and wide spaces. If this is the future count me in!
Ford F-150 Lightning EVGo adds Lightning to AutoCharge + Plug and Charge PXL_20231103_231032934_Original

Texas Dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'04 Envoy XL 4WD, '15 Fusion Energi, '19 Niro EV
Occupation
Engineer
Plug and charge works great for me at EA on my Lightning. It's activated and managed via the FordPass app. And includes the same 30% discount as Pass+ as far as I can tell, but for free instead of $4 per month.
No, you can’t get the Pass+ rate if you Plug-n-Charge with EA. The only way to get the Pass+ rate with EA chargers is if you activate with the app BEFORE you plug in. This been talked about many times.
Sponsored