• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Adventureboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
How much with Musk charge for the NACS to CCS adapter capable of a couple of hundred KW? I expect that will be a pricey option for us and Musk will be lining his pockets.

Hope Ford makes a retrofit connector if this takes off.
Sponsored

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
How much with Musk charge for the NACS to CCS adapter capable of a couple of hundred KW? I expect that will be a pricey option for us and Musk will be lining his pockets.

Farley said all current Ford EV customers will be mailed the adaptor.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT

Well for the nerfed charging Ford gave us to start with he doesn't need a "couple of hundred kW" because our trucks with huge batteries can't take advantage of that. They need 170.

Second you don't need the adapter nor to spend money for it, nor do you need to worry about Musk's money as you can continue to use all the wonderful chargers you have access today - no one is asking you to use Tesla's network.

Third - it has already been noted by Farley this morning and reported in this thread - it sounds truly as if the adapter will be sent to all existing owners when they are ready free of charge.

It has already taken off - no looking back and likely the best thing Ford could have ever done for their EV sales.

Sponsored

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Well for the nerfed charging Ford gave us to start with he doesn't need a "couple of hundred kW" because our trucks with huge batteries can't take advantage of that. They need 170.

Second you don't need the adapter nor to spend money for it, nor do you need to worry about Musk's money as you can continue to use all the wonderful chargers you have access today - no one is asking you to use Tesla's network.

Third - it has already been noted by Farley this morning and reported in this thread - it sounds truly as if the adapter will be sent to all existing owners when they are ready free of charge.

It has already taken off - no looking back and likely the best thing Ford could have ever done for their EV sales.
Agreed, there really is no CON for Ford owners. It’s just more options with more ease of charging.

I mean we could even start talking about Tesla also making the FCSP instead of Siemens……

Software Improvements was also talked about, OTA update help from Tesla…..

Reactions: GDN

BoomerRocco

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F-150 5.0, 2023 Lightning Pro
Yep, I saw that. I tried to be clear that my comment was based on Farley's wording - and his preference - but I guess I missed the tone. But I wasn't saying this is definitely the way it is going to happen. If Ford was definitely keeping both, he would not have repeatedly mentioned adapters for future vehicles.

Unfortunately, this tweet is just as noncommittal one way or the other, though I hope they keep both.

Prime8

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Colorado
Occupation
Construction
Farley said all current Ford EV customers will be mailed the adaptor.
No company is perfect and Ford has had its missteps with the Lightning for sure but my overall experience has been fantastic. Ford making this move with doubling charging access in 6 months is a game changer. If they give us that added capability for free {which it looks like they will} then they deserve even more kudos imo.

PatchesPal

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model y, Lexus RX300
I'll believe it when it happens. Musk has a history of over promising and under delivering.
Agreed but hopefully Farley was smart enough to get a signed contract before announcing.
This should take a lot of the anxiety out of road trips.
I assume the adapter will also be an extension cord because the Tesla cords will not reach the lightning port now.

ivan256

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER
It seems to be taken for granted that NACS is better…. But it’s a worse connector electrically, and is rapidly becoming the less common.

This is a big win for Tesla, who were looking to be stuck with an otherwise proprietary connector in a standards based world. But I’m not sure it’s as great as people seem to think for future Ford customers. In fact I think this is really bad for everybody except current Tesla owners, as now we should expect the charging market to be fragmented for a longer period.

Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
No, they opened it up in November of 2022.

Long long after either model was designed, built and sold.
I thought it was earlier in 22, but your point stands nevertheless.

ivan256

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER
Agreed, there really is no CON for Ford owners. It’s just more options with more ease of charging.

I mean we could even start talking about Tesla also making the FCSP instead of Siemens……

Software Improvements was also talked about, OTA update help from Tesla…..
The con will be that CCS chargers will be the majority of the stations and Ford owners will require an adapter to use the most common chargers. As of now nobody but Tesla is planning to make an NACS charging network. But multiple competitors will have larger networks than Tesla in the next 5-10 years.

queuewho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat SR
I think this is really bad for everybody except current Tesla owners, as now we should expect the charging market to be fragmented for a longer period.
It all depends on how the rest of the industry reacts to today's news.

ivan256

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER
It all depends on how the rest of the industry reacts to today's news.
That's true.

Though I'll be shocked if VW/EA changes course. And that's who will be the biggest impediment to unifying on NACS.
Sponsored