• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

F150 Lightning Audio Builds (Anybody Done One?) Why Not?

ragj1976

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Are you using the rear speakers? I have mine disconnected (originally b and o 8 speaker).

so when pulling forward I hear the proximity beeps . But when in reverse, I don’t.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Greased Lightning

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat
So I finally gave up on the JL Fix86 and ordered Nav TV Zen. It arrived today and I was checking it out and the harness it came with is just a hair off on the largest plug that you remove from the factory amp. It looks like I could cut the center guide inside the plug and it would work, just wondering if anybody else had to do that or did they send me the wrong harness. @GDN you have this in your setup, right?

ragj1976

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
So I finally gave up on the JL Fix86 and ordered Nav TV Zen. It arrived today and I was checking it out and the harness it came with is just a hair off on the largest plug that you remove from the factory amp. It looks like I could cut the center guide inside the plug and it would work, just wondering if anybody else had to do that or did they send me the wrong harness. @GDN you have this in your setup, right?
Yes, I had to do the same thing.. Just snip that locating tab.. Works perfect.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
I do correct - got mine as part of a package and yes when I tried plugging them together it was not a perfect fit. All the pins lined up but the guide didn't align, I actually just forced them together and was able to make it work. It would be nice if they would get that plug updated.

OP
OP

Greased Lightning

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat
So I got the JL fix swapped for the Nav TV today. I listened for about two hours driving around the island. See my thoughts below and let me know if any of you with the Nav TV experience the same thing.
  1. Biggest issue so far is at one point I lost all left channels. My brain ran through a list of possible issues and I decided the only thing I could do without pulling over and checking connections was reset the infotainment system. That worked. I never experienced this with 15k miles of driving with the JL Fix.
  2. I get random artifacts and signal loss (fractions of a second). Again never experienced this with the JL Fix.
  3. The parking sensor beeps are way quieter which I thing I like, but wondering if can be adjusted?
  4. I no longer have the tuneability I had with the Fix, can anybody recommend a cheap stand alone sound processor that they have actually used?
  5. The issue I wanted to correct by switching to the Nav TV of lost frequencies and variation of signal based on volume have been corrected, so that’s great. The bottom end is full and deep now where as it was frustratingly lacking with the JL Fix.

Sponsored

SoundsGoodStereo

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
soundsgoodstereo.com
Vehicles
F-150
If you plug in the ZEN USB, then disconnect from the internet, type in ZEN into your browser and you can adjust the chimes.

The weird artifacts sound like something with the factory infotainment. Did you run a ground from the battery and ensure the ZEN, amplifiers, etc only use that power/ground? Do not use the factory wire harness power/ground

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
So I got the JL fix swapped for the Nav TV today. I listened for about two hours driving around the island. See my thoughts below and let me know if any of you with the Nav TV experience the same thing.
  1. Biggest issue so far is at one point I lost all left channels. My brain ran through a list of possible issues and I decided the only thing I could do without pulling over and checking connections was reset the infotainment system. That worked. I never experienced this with 15k miles of driving with the JL Fix.
  2. I get random artifacts and signal loss (fractions of a second). Again never experienced this with the JL Fix.
  3. The parking sensor beeps are way quieter which I thing I like, but wondering if can be adjusted?
  4. I no longer have the tuneability I had with the Fix, can anybody recommend a cheap stand alone sound processor that they have actually used?
  5. The issue I wanted to correct by switching to the Nav TV of lost frequencies and variation of signal based on volume have been corrected, so that’s great. The bottom end is full and deep now where as it was frustratingly lacking with the JL Fix.
I have not experienced any of what you mention, at least not consistently. One day I lost some speakers, but a 2 button reboot fixed it, so I blamed Ford. Parking sensor beeps are fixable, as noted by SGS, connect with a laptop.

As far as tenability, outside my scope. I went down the rabbit hole and have the JLAudio VX600/6i. I don't regret it and absolutely love the stereo now, but wonder if I'll ever get a fraction of my money back out of it should I decide to sell the truck.

Lightning Rod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
CNC PROGRAMMER/MACHINIST
I wasn't going to post what I'm going to do in detail but, what the hell. I will have this Installed in my Lariat ER in late July. Yes it is a bit much but I tend to go all out in my vehicles with my audiophile installs but I've never went this crazy. I've always been a true SQ nut, in the home AND in my main vehicle.

Please don't judge. 🤫

Conversion Audiophile System Focal Utopia M / Mosconi Pro (3 way Active)

- Helix DSP Ultra
- Helix Conductor
- Helix HEC-BT
- Focal Utopia M 8” Midbass
- Focal Utopia M TBM Tweeters
- Focal Utopia M 3.5 Midrange
- Focal Utopia M 10” Subwoofer (2)
- Mosconi Pro 2/10 Amplifier
- Mosconi Pro 4/10 Amplifier
- Mosconi Pro 1/10 Amplifier
- Mosconi Pico 2
- Wiring And Distribution
- Stinger 9000 Series RCA (6 sets)
- Materials (Birch / PVC / Acrylic / OEM Carpet) / Alcantara
- Hushmat Bulk Kit
- Soundshield Acoustic Foam Treatment (Tube) x6
- Audioquest 3.5 mini to RCA
- XS Power Lithium Ion Battery RSV-S5 x2
- Nav-TV OEM Amplifier Interface

- Custom Stealth Downfiring Subwoofer Enclosure (Sealed)
- Custom Pillars and Sail Panels to house Mid-range and tweeters
- Custom Amp Rack
- Sound Treat Front & Rear Doors
- Sound Treat Full Floor install
- Install Front 3 Ways
- A Pillars for front 3 way
- Amplifier/ DSP Integration
- Tune 3 Presets -
- Director Controller Integration

*Astell & Kern SP2000

Last edited:

TX_Gator

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 F150 Lariat
Finally got my setup installed. I went with the Metra Axxess AXDSPX A2B2 DSP, 2 AudioControl ACM 4.300 amps, Focal Slim Sub 10 Slim, focal 2 way active components up front and focal coaxial in the rear doors. The sub box and amp rack are a custom DIY from MDF and spray bed liner that fits behind the back seat, allowing full fold up and fold down. It’s all wired up with knukonceptz wire wrapped in tech flex and heat shrink from wirecare.

Ford F-150 Lightning F150 Lightning Audio Builds (Anybody Done One?) Why Not? 0E8189D1-EC32-4CAF-BA94-8AB8AA0953CB

Ford F-150 Lightning F150 Lightning Audio Builds (Anybody Done One?) Why Not? 801B0B99-9C80-4DEE-B73F-B87719A91DC9

Metra Axxess AXDSPX-A2B2: This unit is a solid DSP that quickly integrated with the truck. I was only able to set it up via android (iOS app does not work), but the android app is pretty self explanatory. It does have a few drawbacks relative to the the stock setup and appears to come up short relative to the NAV-TV Zen. It routes all of the chimes through the front, so you lose the directional notifications. It does not attenuate the base audio when presenting a chime/notificatio, so it is easy to miss them. It also seems to struggle to volume balance across sources (FM is way louder than XM). If I was doing it again, I would probably go with the NAV-TV unit. Having said that, the Metra team has been very supportive in a few exchanges while I have been getting it set up and I have sent them a list of suggestions to see if they can improve their software.

Focal Sub 10 Slim: Still breaking the sub in, so may be too early to issue a verdict here. I am not trying to rattle the neighborhood and it’s clear that this is not a sub that could. It does seem to be pretty responsive to the modest power I am pushing and it rounds out the lower end relative to the rest of the Focal speakers. It fits nicely in the shallow/small volume sealed box that I was able to fabricate behind the seat.

AudioControl ACM 4.300: These little guys are fantastic and sound like they probably put out well more power than they are labeled for. Nice amps in a compact package.

Sponsored

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Finally got my setup installed. I went with the Metra Axxess AXDSPX A2B2 DSP, 2 AudioControl ACM 4.300 amps, Focal Slim Sub 10 Slim, focal 2 way active components up front and focal coaxial in the rear doors. The sub box and amp rack are a custom DIY from MDF and spray bed liner that fits behind the back seat, allowing full fold up and fold down. It’s all wired up with knukonceptz wire wrapped in tech flex and heat shrink from wirecare.

0E8189D1-EC32-4CAF-BA94-8AB8AA0953CB.jpeg

801B0B99-9C80-4DEE-B73F-B87719A91DC9.jpeg

Metra Axxess AXDSPX-A2B2: This unit is a solid DSP that quickly integrated with the truck. I was only able to set it up via android (iOS app does not work), but the android app is pretty self explanatory. It does have a few drawbacks relative to the the stock setup and appears to come up short relative to the NAV-TV Zen. It routes all of the chimes through the front, so you lose the directional notifications. It does not attenuate the base audio when presenting a chime/notificatio, so it is easy to miss them. It also seems to struggle to volume balance across sources (FM is way louder than XM). If I was doing it again, I would probably go with the NAV-TV unit. Having said that, the Metra team has been very supportive in a few exchanges while I have been getting it set up and I have sent them a list of suggestions to see if they can improve their software.

Focal Sub 10 Slim: Still breaking the sub in, so may be too early to issue a verdict here. I am not trying to rattle the neighborhood and it’s clear that this is not a sub that could. It does seem to be pretty responsive to the modest power I am pushing and it rounds out the lower end relative to the rest of the Focal speakers. It fits nicely in the shallow/small volume sealed box that I was able to fabricate behind the seat.

AudioControl ACM 4.300: These little guys are fantastic and sound like they probably put out well more power than they are labeled for. Nice amps in a compact package.
Congrats - looks great. Looks like a job well done. Hoping you are able to tweak and get out of it what you want. I've got Focal speakers and am very happy with them so far.

zack

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'd be really interested to hear some of these builds. Obviously the stock BO system sucks, but the Kicker Key 500.1 amp and your choice of subwoofer configuration seems to be about all you need to get it not to sound completely gutless on the low end.

I'll probably make a post soon with what I did, but so far I've just got the Kicker amp connected via high levels from the factory leads (of course ran the Key setup). It's hooked up to 4x Exodus Audio Anarchy 704s I had laying around in 2x boxes I built to fit in the lay flat under seat storage. Tuned to probably 38-40hz. I can't imagine wanting too much more for a daily driver. It'll kick you straight in the chest, and I haven't really had to fight with any issues on factory roll off after running Key.

I can see wanting some better door speakers and less center focus.

Prior truck (raptor) I did all the behind the seat shenanigans, but seems like a lot of overkill going on in these threads.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
I'd be really interested to hear some of these builds. Obviously the stock BO system sucks, but the Kicker Key 500.1 amp and your choice of subwoofer configuration seems to be about all you need to get it not to sound completely gutless on the low end.

I'll probably make a post soon with what I did, but so far I've just got the Kicker amp connected via high levels from the factory leads (of course ran the Key setup). It's hooked up to 4x Exodus Audio Anarchy 704s I had laying around in 2x boxes I built to fit in the lay flat under seat storage. Tuned to probably 38-40hz. I can't imagine wanting too much more for a daily driver. It'll kick you straight in the chest, and I haven't really had to fight with any issues on factory roll off after running Key.

I can see wanting some better door speakers and less center focus.

Prior truck (raptor) I did all the behind the seat shenanigans, but seems like a lot of overkill going on in these threads.
Make a trip to DFW and I'll share the sound.

Lightning Rod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CNC PROGRAMMER/MACHINIST
Here is my truck at the beginning of my audio overhaul. The floor and doors will be dampened. I think the roof will be dampened as well. I will check with them tomorrow to make sure.

Ford F-150 Lightning F150 Lightning Audio Builds (Anybody Done One?) Why Not? 60902

zack

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Drove a few hundred miles today with the audio at a decent clip. Dampening like that definitely isn't out of line with some vibrations I was noticing. Looks good.
Sponsored