• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Failed attempt at using Tesla DCFC

kwalt21

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
This weekend I traveled to Rochester, NY to visit with some friends and had an opportunity to try out the Tesla DCFC in Batavia, NY. Well, it didn't go too well unfortunately. I pulled up the station on the Tesla app, selected the "charge your non-Tesla vehicle" and then clicked on the charger number I was planning to use. Once selected, I got out of the truck and followed the instructions to push up on the charger handle and pull down. The CCS adapter came out and I plugged into the truck. As soon as I plugged in, the truck acted as if it was already charging (pulsing blue). After about 30 seconds the ring of death appeared and the truck stated there was an external charging fault. I tried 4 different chargers and had the same result.

To make matters worse I had 3 Tesla owners watch me fumble around and ultimately fail to charge! One guy tried to tell me I couldn't use the chargers on a non tesla and then was blown away when I showed him the CCS adapter.

On my way home I passed by the Fredonia, NY Tesla chargers and attempted to charge there and also ran into the same issues I did in Batavia.

Anyone else have a similar experience?
Sponsored

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
Watching. I forget which one @tommolog used in his video. After the initial opening I haven't heard much about Lightning or other non-Tesla's using the magic dock. Maybe Tom has heard something on the grapevine?

OP
OP
kwalt21

kwalt21

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Watching. I forget which one @tommolog used in his video. After the initial opening I haven't heard much about Lightning or other non-Tesla's using the magic dock. Maybe Tom has heard something on the grapevine?
Select chargers in CA and NY have the ability to charge non-tesla vehicles so I didn't supply the adapter. They have the adapters installed on the chargers.

OP
OP
kwalt21

kwalt21

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I haven't heard of anyone with a Lightning having issues. I also haven't been to one since that first day when I made the video.
I was so pumped to charge too! I have no idea what the problem was..

I even DCFC at an Evolve - NY station in Victor, NY and had no issues. Peaked at 174KW so I assume it wasn't the truck that was causing the issue!

Sponsored

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
I haven't heard of anyone with a Lightning having issues. I also haven't been to one since that first day when I made the video.
Thanks for checking in Tom!

@kwalt21 Best suggestion off the top of my head is to contact Tesla and let them know that their docks failed. I'm really hoping they put one in at the SC in west El Paso. Would make visiting the grandparents a lot nicer and there's a sizeable gap between Deming, NM and the next EA station in east El Paso for anyone traveling through the city.

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
This weekend I traveled to Rochester, NY to visit with some friends and had an opportunity to try out the Tesla DCFC in Batavia, NY. Well, it didn't go too well unfortunately. I pulled up the station on the Tesla app, selected the "charge your non-Tesla vehicle" and then clicked on the charger number I was planning to use. Once selected, I got out of the truck and followed the instructions to push up on the charger handle and pull down. The CCS adapter came out and I plugged into the truck. As soon as I plugged in, the truck acted as if it was already charging (pulsing blue). After about 30 seconds the ring of death appeared and the truck stated there was an external charging fault. I tried 4 different chargers and had the same result.

To make matters worse I had 3 Tesla owners watch me fumble around and ultimately fail to charge! One guy tried to tell me I couldn't use the chargers on a non tesla and then was blown away when I showed him the CCS adapter.

On my way home I passed by the Fredonia, NY Tesla chargers and attempted to charge there and also ran into the same issues I did in Batavia.

Most chargers start with a communication event, then an Isolation Test, then turning on the juice. Appears the Isolation test may have failed. Hard to say without being there.

laselvasurf

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning XLT, 13 Raptor, 13 X5M, 03 Excursion
I've had no issues with the Tesla chargers/Magic Dock. I haven't used one in a couple weeks, but before that they were 100% reliable on my lightning.

BoltUp

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F-150 Lightning XLT
I used that Tesla DCFC in Batavia, NY on April 23rd to charge my Lightning and had no issues with the charge session.

OP
OP
kwalt21

kwalt21

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I used that Tesla DCFC in Batavia, NY on April 23rd to charge my Lightning and had no issues with the charge session.
I am starting to think it was something to do with my phone. It never gave me a failure message on the Tesla app, just the truck itself. I have an android

Sponsored

ChrisCon

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Carbonized Grey Lightning Lariat ER
I got the red ring of death initially and then realized I had my finger pushing down on the button between the tesla charger and the magic dock part . I also used an iPhone and had no problem with the app . I’ve charged a few times at the Mastic New York Tesla station .
Also the price is so expensive and the charger is slower than an EA 350 so I see almost no reason to use a Tesla supercharger. Probably cheaper per mile with an ICE vehicle than paying Tesla prices for electricity.

Nick503955

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat, 2021 Tesla Model Y
I was able to use one a week ago in Placerville, CA. No issues except the price.

jimfigler

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Lariat ER, 21 Corvette Convertible

I know a guy posted about a month ago on FB that he used the Batavia chargers. His only issue was he had to block multiple spots to get the cord to reach. I drove past Fredonia last weekend and thought about trying them but it was rainy and I had poorly covered furniture in the bed.

FordLightningMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I was out in Batavia and was able to use the charger, no connection issues. The issue was it seems impossible to pull into a single spot and us a charger. I had to block 3 stalls, 1 of which was out of order, to charge the truck. It was the evening and only one other guy was there, so it didn't cause any trouble. If you were there during a busy time, charging could be a real challenge without picking a fight. The other issue is the place you could pull to use only one stall is labeled as handicap. So for the one spot that would work without being obnoxious, is using it a ticketable offense?

If the charge port opened the opposite way, so it popped toward you, MAYBE you could pull in and charge in one stall. As is, the charge port door essentially is a shield to the cable.
Sponsored