• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Fifth Wheel towing with the Lightning

rtk11226

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning/1991 Chev 1500/1976 Corvette
Occupation
Retired IT/Engineer
I will never for the life of me understand the folks who try to 5th wheel tow with a half ton truck (not just EV's-any half ton). There is quite simply not enough payload to make it work and you will most definitely be exceeding your trucks capacities to try and tow that. I assure you you will be shocked how much additional weight goes on the pin once you start loading up the trailer.

Beyond payload-putting a giant 10K sail behind a 1/2 ton truck is asking for trouble.

If you are only going to be using this once a year-why such a large trailer (or a trailer at all)?
I've got an all aluminum horse trailer that I've had for almost 20 years. I bought a GMC 2400 HD to pull it and that truck has done a wonderful job... but it's time to upgrade that vehicle. I'm retired and the horses are feeling their age too and the chances are becoming less and less likely that I'll ever have to take them to the vet using this trailer, but I need to have the option. I haven't had to use the trailer for at least 5 years but it's still a really nice trailer and I might only have to tow it one or two more times before the need for a trailer disappears. Thus, the question about the goose neck and the need for options. I found this hitch vendor that seems to know what they are talking about considering the 5.5' Lightning bed.

https://pullrite.com/supershortbed_HIW
Sponsored

OP
OP
Easycamper

Easycamper

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F-150 XLT 5.0L, 2018 PacHy, 2013 Volt
Thought I'd close this out. Ended up replacing the 2015 F-150 in my profile pic with a crew cab 2023 Silverado 2500HD. Gotta say this had nothing to do with the capabilities of the Lightning, it had to do with the price increase for 2023 and the fact that my use case has changed. We'll be starting to go on some longer trips now, and my wife was not keen on the idea of dealing with fast charging while towing.

I see some comments above about why anyone would "try" to tow a fifth wheel with a half-ton. As someone who's been not only trying but doing it safely for over 20 years, the simple answer is that not all fifth wheels are the same, and not all half-tons are the same. People see "fifth wheel" and automatically assume a giant trailer, but that's not always the case.

All the best folks.

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
price increase
Ya, regardless of price, the 3/4 ton will always be better for towing.

5th wheel on a half ton isn't worth it. Sure it can be done but it's not comfortable and would be disastrous on the lightning.

less likely that I'll ever have to take them to the vet using this trailer, but I need to have the option.
For even a once a year trip, hiring is cheaper. If you think you still need a gooseneck trailer then the lightning is not for you.

OP
OP
Easycamper

Easycamper

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ya, regardless of price, the 3/4 ton will always be better for towing.

5th wheel on a half ton isn't worth it. Sure it can be done but it's not comfortable and would be disastrous on the lightning.
Well as I said I've been towing fifth wheels with half tons for many years, and it's quite comfortable. The Lightning is heaver and it would do fine.

The 3/4 ton has more capability for larger trailers sure, but it doesn't actually do much better with this particular trailer than the F-150 did. YMMV.

ExCivilian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 RAM 2500 5.9L Cummins; '22 Lariat ER
The 3/4 ton has more capability for larger trailers sure, but it doesn't actually do much better with this particular trailer than the F-150 did.
The 1/2 ton is capable of pulling that trailer no doubt -- the differences shine in emergency conditions. Thankfully most people will not have to worry about an emergency situation with their TT but if (when) they do need the 3/4 ton the differences will be significant, obvious, and welcome.

It's like the exhaust brake on my RAM. I guess one way to look at is it that I've never needed it...but another way to look at is that I've never needed it because I always have it activated and haven't had any runaways.

That said, the far greater safety concern for me has always been the people towing these long/heavy trailers with their short wheelbase vehicles like the pictures you showed in the beginning of the thread.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Easycamper

Easycamper

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The 1/2 ton is capable of pulling that trailer no doubt -- the differences shine in emergency conditions. Thankfully most people will not have to worry about an emergency situation with their TT but if (when) they do need the 3/4 ton the differences will be significant, obvious, and welcome.
This thread is about fifth wheels, not TTs. Totally different animal.

ExCivilian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This thread is about fifth wheels, not TTs. Totally different animal.
My contribution was about safety.

So in a thread, wherein you posted pictures of two vehicles bumper pulling RVs, you were considering installing a 5th wheel on a vehicle the manufacturer stated should not be done, and someone else considering a gooseneck...well I abbreviated all that absurdity down to "TT" instead of a paragraph listing out all the ways people try and kill themselves and others on our public roadways.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Easycamper

Easycamper

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
My contribution was about safety.

So in a thread, wherein you posted pictures of two vehicles bumper pulling RVs, you were considering installing a 5th wheel on a vehicle the manufacturer stated should not be done, and someone else considering a gooseneck...well I abbreviated all that absurdity down to "TT" instead of a paragraph listing out all the ways people try and kill themselves and others on our public roadways.
Sure. Let's just ignore the context of both your comment about TTs and of the photos of TTs in a thread entitled "Fifth Wheel towing with the Lightning."

Obviously you have your opinions and I'm not going to change them. Enjoy the day.

ExCivilian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sure. Let's just ignore the context of both your comment about TTs and of the photos of TTs in a thread entitled "Fifth Wheel towing with the Lightning."

Obviously you have your opinions and I'm not going to change them. Enjoy the day.
If they aren't relevant to the thread you started why did you post those pictures and why did you write they were an example of someone knowing what they're doing? I mean really this is the most ridiculous argument you want to have with me but go no with yourself and have it if it means that much to you.

Sure, we can sum it up as my "opinion" is that just because one can pull something doesn't mean the frame/body is built to tow it or stop it safely if that will appease you.

Like what even is the argument here? Everything I wrote applies to differences between a 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton truck pulling a 5th wheel, too, which is why I didn't bother listing all the different types of vessels one can pull. A 3/4 ton truck is more capable and better built in every single way imaginable--it's not even a question--so what's the point of you nitpicking my brevity?
Sponsored

Last edited: