• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

First long distance trip in our ER Lightning - Texas to Kansas and Back Temps @ -10 degrees

powercatnewt

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning, Bronco Badlands, 1968 Mustang
Occupation
MD Director of Technology
Ok we started a long distance trip from Texas to Kansas (literally in the middle of nowhere) We will be over a 125 Miles from the nearest fast charger and the temps tonight are set to fall to -6 Degrees with a high below zero tomorrow. We will post some videos along the way here is the first ever fast charge for us. The experience was great but it did stop once and have to restart. All in all seamless. We are planning to use and RV 50 amp plug to charge. Hope it all works out.

Leave a comment on the video if you have a Lightning and post videos I will follow your channel. Thanks,
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

powercatnewt

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Update on our trip yesterday we got to our first destination a small town in Western Kansas about an hour from Dodge City (yes after last night's storm we are ready to get the hell out of Dodge) The town of Lewis has some of the best people you will ever meet. We are charging at a very small RV Hookup park. The owners said just charge and pay us what you use. This was te calm before the storm now that we have power back I will work on the video from last night.

thecoloradokid

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 PORSCHE TAYCAN and '22 Ford F-150 Lightning
If you were an hour west of Dodge like in Garden City or closer to Ulysses, then I would be concerned. At least you could get enough charge at that stop to where you could make it up to Salina or back to Wichita if you needed. I have heard there is a 50kW charger in Reno County in Hutch, but I have never used that one.

After seeing your user name I am super motivated now to put an extra large KU NCAA basketball champs sticker on my Lighting!!!!!!!!!! Jokes!!!!

From the last part of your user name are you a Harvey County guy? I have done the Denver to Lawrence and Denver to Wichita drive more than a few times in an EV and it is pretty simple, I have never had the guts to venture too far off I-70 or I-35, so hoping the best for you out there in that cold.

Be safe!!

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Are you planning on a brand new thread for each day of your trip?

Toby57

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F-150 XL 101A
Occupation
retired
Don't know where you are going and don't care. BE CAREFUL.
There was talk of closing US 54/400 in Sedgwick and Kingman counties.. They did not to my knowledge.
Neg 50 degree wind chills out there. Take care.
Air temp -2

Lightning Rod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
CNC PROGRAMMER/MACHINIST
I always said that the Rivian's headlights makes the truck look like a mouse ha ha.

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5, BMW 528, Porsche 928
Occupation
Sales Leader
I always said that the Rivian's headlights makes the truck look like a mouse ha ha.
I'm not a fan of the headlights either...though the rest of the truck is interesting. They are clearly not out of the "start-up" woods yet. I would imagine someone may acquire them at some point.

Sponsored
OP
OP

powercatnewt

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
If you were an hour west of Dodge like in Garden City or closer to Ulysses, then I would be concerned. At least you could get enough charge at that stop to where you could make it up to Salina or back to Wichita if you needed. I have heard there is a 50kW charger in Reno County in Hutch, but I have never used that one.

After seeing your user name I am super motivated now to put an extra large KU NCAA basketball champs sticker on my Lighting!!!!!!!!!! Jokes!!!!

From the last part of your user name are you a Harvey County guy? I have done the Denver to Lawrence and Denver to Wichita drive more than a few times in an EV and it is pretty simple, I have never had the guts to venture too far off I-70 or I-35, so hoping the best for you out there in that cold.

Be safe!!
We live in Texas now my wife is from Lewis KS and I am from Arkansas City south of Wichita. I see the charger in hutch but hopefully we don't need it. I added the Lewis RV station to plug share they were awesome and now that we have power can get a full charge over night there. My 110 charge cord seems to be failing which scares me.

Surf KS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning
You are braver than me. I’m taking the Escape to Iowa tomorrow over the Lightning. I’ll try in January if I can have consistent temperatures above 10°F.

OP
OP

powercatnewt

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Night 2 on our 1000 mile trip with the lightning the big storm hits. Temps dropped down to -10 with -40 windchill. I recorded this about 15 min after the front hit it was crazy the whole town lost power and we had winds sustained around 50 mph.
Sponsored