• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
Day 1: Dallas to Amarillo
  • In an ICE there is a direct route via 287 and has a driving time of 5 hours. Unfortunately, there is only one CCS DCFC along .... I opted to take a much safer route via I35 to I40 using Electrify America DCFC sites exclusively.
We make trips from DFW to Albuquerque a couple of times a year and this is what is preventing me from taking my truck. TxDoT's plan suggests a charger in Wichita Falls at some point I think. In looking at the Tesla network, there is only one V3 supercharger on this route. It's in Quanah and would be perfect to charge enough to get you to Amarillo. There are other superchargers on US287 but they are not 250 kW which I understand means they are not V3 and thus will not be open to us. @GDN or others more in the know on Tesla can correct me. I'm using the info from this site: https://supercharge.info/map
Sponsored

OP
OP
Wsl346

Wsl346

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Volvo XC60 T8, Many Bicycles
We make trips from DFW to Albuquerque a couple of times a year and this is what is preventing me from taking my truck. TxDoT's plan suggests a charger in Wichita Falls at some point I think. In looking at the Tesla network, there is only one V3 supercharger on this route. It's in Quanah and would be perfect to charge enough to get you to Amarillo. There are other superchargers on US287 but they are not 250 kW which I understand means they are not V3 and thus will not be open to us. @GDN or others more in the know on Tesla can correct me. I'm using the info from this site: https://supercharge.info/map
Oh. Shoot. I put Weatherford in my original post but I meant Wichita Falls. That’s where the 50kW charger is at.

GM - Foundation Automotive of Wichita Falls
315 Central Freeway E. , Wichita Falls, TX 76301, USA

https://www.plugshare.com/location/411042

Last edited:

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
"voices from the unknown..."

early on, one voice was from someone in another EV leaving an EA charging station, who saw me pulling in, perpendicular to the last charger, with my Camper:
"hey, Wow!, is THAT a Ford Lightning?? They CAN'T tow, Can they?? !"

later, during the more 'middle' of my camping excursion travels, someone shouted from across a walmart parking lot, while I was charging, with my camper:
"EVs SUCK !" ... as they left in a hurry, with black smoke pouring suddenly from their screaming tailpipe, on their jacked-up off-road-tired diesel-laden turbo-spooled 'truck'...

another friend, who drives his gas-guzzling jeep and motorhome, was amazed when I drove up to his business the other day - he just stared at my truck, pointed at it, and looked at me while he said: "I heard that FORD recalled all those 'trucks', they were 'catching on fire', and were braking down for everybody!"....
"oh really?"
I asked, slighly, "I guess me and my Lightning didn't get the message..." oh well.
I drove off while he still looked perplexed.

some other catchy questions come from many, many who 'look' at the truck for the first time:
"what are you gonna do when the battery dies??" and "how much are you gonna have to pay when you have to REPLACE that battery??" I just respond with: "how often do you enjoy having to stop and fuel up on $3.50 per gallon gas?" and, "how much is it gonna be when you have to replace your ENGINE??" : )

the most obvious one is:
"how far can you go in that thang??"

it seems that no one asks these same questions about the Tesla sitting right next door...

my brother-in-law, a big 'gas/diesel' engine proponent, always teases me with "those trucks, they'll never work..." .... While I've enjoyed over 29,000 miles so far, more than 1/2 of that while towing, it doesn't seem to matter to any nay-sayer - they will believe what they believe : /

Oh well....

fun times : )

azypather

First Name
Azy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Merc GLe 350, 2018 VW Golf SE, 2023 F150 - L
Occupation
IT Consultant
Thanks for the detailed write-up! I have a Lariat SR and am still very firmly in the "ICE for road trips" camp. My Merc GLe is the perfect road tripping car. No range anxiety and no additional planning required. That's the point we need to get to in order for EVs to become truly viable. It's only a matter of time before we have 500+ mile range EVs available. Until then I'll keep an ICE vehicle handy. But boy do I love my truck!

Texas Dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'04 Envoy XL 4WD, '15 Fusion Energi, '19 Niro EV
Occupation
Engineer
I’ve been driving round trip between Texas and Colorado about every two months since I picked my Lightning up in February. My Lightning is my fifth EV and I’ve made the round trip with every one of my EVs except for one. Knowing that I would be using the Lightning for Texas to Colorado round trips did have a significant influence on my decision to buy the Lightning.

I have not been disappointed by the truck but I have been challenged by the charging infrastructure between Texas and Colorado. Some of my favorite EA stations performed poorly the last couple of trips. I’m not a Tesla fan but I’m really looking forward to getting that NACS to CCS1 adapter so I can charge at Supercharger stations.

For some reason many CCS chargers in Oklahoma have restricted power. I have had a lot of frustrating experiences traveling between DFW and Amarillo by way of Oklahoma. The Francis Energy chargers at Hobart, OK are supposed to be working better than others, I’m planning to route through Hobart on my next trip.

Going from Amarillo to Trinidad, CO, I have been bypassing Tucumcari and charging at Wagon Mound, NM. There’s no cell phone service in Wagon Mound so the Plug & Charge feature really comes in handy. I also might mention that I’m a huge Santa Fe Trail buff and my trips to Colorado allow me to explore the Trail.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Wsl346

Wsl346

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I’ve been driving round trip between Texas and Colorado about every two months since I picked my Lightning up in February. My Lightning is my fifth EV and I’ve made the round trip with every one of my EVs except for one. Knowing that I would be using the Lightning for Texas to Colorado round trips did have a significant influence on my decision to buy the Lightning.

I have not been disappointed by the truck but I have been challenged by the charging infrastructure between Texas and Colorado. Some of my favorite EA stations performed poorly the last couple of trips. I’m not a Tesla fan but I’m really looking forward to getting that NACS to CCS1 adapter so I can charge at Supercharger stations.

For some reason many CCS chargers in Oklahoma have restricted power. I have had a lot of frustrating experiences traveling between DFW and Amarillo by way of Oklahoma. The Francis Energy chargers at Hobart, OK are supposed to be working better than others, I’m planning to route through Hobart on my next trip.

Going from Amarillo to Trinidad, CO, I have been bypassing Tucumcari and charging at Wagon Mound, NM. There’s no cell phone service in Wagon Mound so the Plug & Charge feature really comes in handy. I also might mention that I’m a huge Santa Fe Trail buff and my trips to Colorado allow me to explore the Trail.
Both the Lubbock and Clayton, NM super chargers at V3 sites. Looking forward to being able to start taking the direct route next year!

I will say though that NM State Highways 39 and 120 was a cool drive. Driving up that escarpment then driving in and out of the Canadian River Canyon was an experience I would have never gotten if I had taken the normal route via 87 to Raton.

I didn’t have issues using the EA app in Wagon Mound to take advantage of my pass + membership but that Conoco didn’t have the greatest amenities and there are next to no restaurants.

Texas Dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'04 Envoy XL 4WD, '15 Fusion Energi, '19 Niro EV
Occupation
Engineer
With new CCS chargers going up in Roswell, NM and with the Superchargers in Lubbock, by the end of next year I should be able to drive my Lightning from Roswell to Lubbock across the Llano Estacado. The Llano is several hundred miles flat barren land that the non-Indians were afraid to cross for centuries. It’s amazing how being able to drive my Lightning across the Llano makes this trip an adventure I’m looking forward to.

Jimbalf

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
Thank you for the detailed trip report. I’ve been looking at doing that Austin to Denver route and your experience confirmed what I was thinking. i am finding these hot temps in Texas are giving some EA chargers fits. I got stuck with one giving me 32kw because of cable temperature. i have hope for the spring as I gaze at the rows of shiny new Tesla chargers at many Buc-ees in Texas.

derm

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 F-150 Sport 4x4; Ordered F-150 Lighting Larit
Great write-up. Thanks.

Sorry if this is an uneducated question but what does this mean?

• Always navigate to the next charger using the Ford NAV. About 20 miles to the charger you can see the temperature bar start to drop back to the mid way mark. While Ford didn't put it in the update notes, about 6 months ago they sent out an update which gave us preconditioning. I forgot to use it once and I noticed the difference in charging speed.
I'll try and clarify my question.
  • My assumption ("Assume") was Preconditioning was used for cold days where you prepare the car before departure by having the batteries warmed up before a drive (Either while plugged in(preferably) or by battery).
  • I apologies, I do not understand the reading of the two temperature charge bars (Motor and Battery) in the upper dash. please realize, I have only had my truck since the end of June and our first long trip from Southern VA to Bar Harbor Maine is coming in October. My understanding of your paragraph, does the Ford NAV map, know you are going to hit a specific charger in 20 miles and starts preparing the battery in advance of a fast charger?
    • If this is a yes, and I have mapped in detail my route in ABRP. Do I need to do something to integrate ARBP and Ford Nav?
As always, Thanks for any info on this. I'm still learning - but am all in and want the challenge.

If anyone wants to do a sanity check on my Route Planner.....
https://abetterrouteplanner.com/?plan_uuid=5847aebc-5462-4208-b6a2-ea5b64453b45

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wsl346

Wsl346

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Great write-up. Thanks.

Sorry if this is an uneducated question but what does this mean?

• Always navigate to the next charger using the Ford NAV. About 20 miles to the charger you can see the temperature bar start to drop back to the mid way mark. While Ford didn't put it in the update notes, about 6 months ago they sent out an update which gave us preconditioning. I forgot to use it once and I noticed the difference in charging speed.
I'll try and clarify my question.
  • My assumption ("Assume") was Preconditioning was used for cold days where you prepare the car before departure by having the batteries warmed up before a drive (Either while plugged in(preferably) or by battery).
  • I apologies, I do not understand the reading of the two temperature charge bars (Motor and Battery) in the upper dash. please realize, I have only had my truck since the end of June and our first long trip from Southern VA to Bar Harbor Maine is coming in October. My understanding of your paragraph, does the Ford NAV map, know you are going to hit a specific charger in 20 miles and starts preparing the battery in advance of a fast charger?
    • If this is a yes, and I have mapped in detail my route in ABRP. Do I need to do something to integrate ARBP and Ford Nav?
As always, Thanks for any info on this. I'm still learning - but am all in and want the challenge.

If anyone wants to do a sanity check on my Route Planner.....
https://abetterrouteplanner.com/?plan_uuid=5847aebc-5462-4208-b6a2-ea5b64453b45
There are two types of battery conditioning. The first is conditioning the battery for driving. This would be the preconditioning feature you are familiar with and helps the truck get better efficiency by putting the battery in an optimal temperature for driving. The second is conditioning the battery for charging. There is absolutely no transparency around the feature but if you set your destination in the Ford NAV to a DC fast charger, the truck will condition the battery so it is the optimal temperature to receive a charge.

At this time, Ford doesn't allow you to create custom routes in their NAV. You are at the mercy of their algorithm to pick your charging stops which I don't trust. What I did during my trip is not set my final destination in the Ford NAV, but would manually set the destination as my next charging stop based on the proposed route created in ABRP. If you click the search bar in the NAV, there is an option for charging. Once you click the charging option, there is an option to only look for high powered DCFC. Most of the time, that is how I would find the next charger along my route. Since I was almost exclusively stopping at Electrify America's, I would also type "Electrify" into the search to filter down on EA fast chargers only.

Last edited:

Sponsored

derm

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 F-150 Sport 4x4; Ordered F-150 Lighting Larit
That helps alot...Thanks

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
That's exactly what I do, as far as telling the truck to navigate to the next charger. I have some screenshots somewhere (I forget the thread I put them in) showing the temp gauge prior to and once at the charger. It definitely cooled the pack a bit so I could charge in 100F+ temps at a decent rate (assuming the DCFC was at full speed).

@derm The two bars are temperature meters for the battery and motor. The inner box is the "I'm ok with this temp" zone. Outside that, you probably want to seek service as something went wrong.

LancerBoom

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariet ER
Occupation
Farm
Wsl346 - You’ve inspired me. I’m taking early retirement in January and have been thinking about a trip in February/March to celebrate - was between visiting Hawaii again or fly down to Arizona which would be mostly new and have some family to visit. Your trip must been stewing in the back of my mind. Last night out to eat with my wife we started discussing driving to AZ and NM since we had time and want to visit several National parks and have 2-3 cousins we could stay at along the way.

Then we discussed which vehicle. Her 2023 Traverse she got last Nov or my new Lariat. We figured the Lightning would be cheaper to drive and the BlueCruise would be nice on a long trip.

So I mapped out a loop trip from Iowa > Colorado Springs > Santa Fe > Flagstaff > Phoenix > Tucson > Roswell > Dallas > Iowa. It is 3500 miles plus day excursions so I figure 4500 miles in 16-17 days. Seems doable. Figure 6 days will be long driving days. Otherwise most days would be shorter drives or local excursions so only need overnight charging.

Thinking about having 2 of our 20-something daughters join for a week on their spring break. They could fly home from Phoenix. Seems plenty of room in truck for 4 adults. Would probably get a tonneau cover to keep stuff in the bed. Also have a plug in cooler to bring food/drinks.

Fun to start planning. I used ABRP to plan trip. Was thinking it would be nice if Ford’s trip planner would maximize charging AND BlueCruise. Oh, well. Will have a few months to plan this out.
Sponsored