• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

First trip after switching from Tesla.

TomB985

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT ER
I drove my truck from Minnesota to my parents' house in New Hampshire this week, which gave me the first real opportunity to get to know its travel manners. I wrote this for another forum that doesn't have many EV owners, so much of this may be a bit redundant in a group of Lightning owners. I've had four F150s in the past, but I've been driving a 2022 Model Y for the year before getting my Lightning, which frames my thoughts at the moment.

It was really comfortable. It's a completely different experience from the Model Y with its stiff, sports car-like suspension that beats you to death on trips. The regular F150 has morphed into being a comfortable family cruiser over the lanlst two decades, and the Lightning takes that a step further with a smoother ride and silent powertrain. Unlike my other EVs, I can't even hear an inverter whine when I jump on the throttle. The only powertrain noise comes from a pedestrian alert speaker that activates below 25 MPH and when backing up. I got a good comparison with a Powerboost rental truck last week while mine was in for recalls last week, and the Lightning rides noticeably better with its greater heft and independent rear suspension. I've had one car that's ridden better, but nothing has been this quiet and tranquil at highway speeds. Ford did a great job with this.

The driver assist features were really helpful. My XLT ER has their mid-level Copilot360 Assist, which offers everything but their hands-free BlueCruise. When enabled, it activates whenever the truck sees clear lane markers and automatically keeps the truck centered in its lane. It functions similar to Tesla's autopilot, but it's not as capable on sharp turns, and it'll send you into a guardrail if you're not paying attention when it gets twisty. It will operate for about ten seconds if you take your hands off the wheel before giving you a warning chime, and eventually deactivating with loud warning buzzers and flashing lights. I thought it was useful for when I was adjusting settings on the infotainment system and reaching for my coffee. It also made for a more relaxing drive as the truck mostly drove itself along those straight midwestern freeways with my close supervision.

It allows me to provide enough steering input to adjust the truck’s position in the lane, but will eventually disengage if I push harder to override its guidance. This is a much better implementation than Tesla’s Autopilot, which sharply disengages before letting you adjust lane position an inch. The adaptive cruise control is also much more consistent than Tesla’s vision-only system, presumably because Ford uses radar sensors to determine distance.

It’s not very efficient. Most EVs measure efficiency in terms of miles per kilowatt-hour of energy. The truck is rated for of 2.1 mi/kWh on the EPA test cycle, and most reviews suggest it’s capable of nearly that on the highway. I’ve never seen anything close to those numbers, and this trip was no exception. Conditions weren’t great with a moderate headwind and 25-40º temperature for the entire trip, but I could only manage 1.5-1.8 at speeds of 65-70 MPH. Gas prices have been dropping, but fast charging rates have stayed relatively constant, and this thing is one of the least-efficient EVs on the road.

Part of my lousy efficiency may be the tires. I had the dealer install Firestone Destination A/T2s because of their great ratings in snow, but their aggressive siping will make them less efficient than the highway tread on the factory rubber. The Lightning also relies on a resistive heater to keep the cabin warm instead of a much more efficient heat pump that other EVs use. My Model Y and EV6 would draw between 1-1.5 kW to keep me warm at those temperatures, but the truck was drawing between 3-4 kW from its immersion heater that warms coolant piped into a heater core in the dash. This is going to be an even bigger drop as the temperatures get cooler, but the 2024 models will be much better.

Electrify America is the most prolific EV charging network, so I subscribed to their Pass+ program which bought me a 25% rate reduction for a $7 monthly fee. That lowered my cost to $0.36/kWh at their stations, but the cost was still significant.

At 1.5 mi/kWh, my Extended Range 130 kWh battery would take me only 195 miles if it were fully charged. Going from empty to full would cost me 130*0.36 = $46.80. That’s a lot of money for less than 200 miles of range. Fortunately(for me) the state of Wisconsin doesn’t permit non-utilities to sell electricity by the kilowatt-hour, so their fast chargers operate on a per-minute basis. The Lightning charges fast enough to make it significantly cheaper, but people with smaller and less-expensive EVs pay a lot more because they can’t charge as fast.

My total charging cost was $180 for the 1,450-mile trip. That’s a lot less than it would have been if I were paying $0.36 for every kilowatt I burned, but I was able to start from a full charge and stay at a hotel with an EV charger on the way.

Charging was less of a hassle than I expected. The Lightning has a peak rate of 150 kW on paper, so I was expecting significantly longer charge times than my Model Y. I was pleasantly surprised to see it consistently charge at 170-180 kW at EA’s high-powered charge stations. EV batteries usually see peak rates when they are deeply discharged, but the Lightning’s big pack has a better charge curve than anything I’ve owned. It would spike to over 160 kW if you plug in as high as 60%, and held higher rates much longer than anything I’ve had before. Most of my charge stops were between 25-40 minutes, and it was often ready to go before I was.
Electrify America’s awful reliability was a big factor behind dumping my EV6 for my Model Y. The world is turning inside-out because EA’s chargers were flawless for me. I was 6/6 with their stations, but my two stops on the Shell Recharge network gave me nothing but problems.

Most infuriating was at the Madison charging hub, which is operated by their local utility company. I plugged in to Unit 2 and started charging normally, so I went inside the gas station to use the bathroom. I came out to find it shut down after 10 kWh, so I moved over to Unit 1, and it wouldn’t recognize the truck. Unit 3 was offline, Unit 4 gave me an error, and Units 5 and 6 gave me payment glitches from their app. A ten-minute call to customer service later, I was charging at a reduced rate of 70 kW. It doesn’t take a math wizard to realize how much longer it takes to fill my 130 kWh tank at that rate. The Tesla drivers at the adjoining Supercharger station must have found my problems funny, but I was laughing on the inside with the insanely cheap rate I got from these finicky chargers. All of that frustration got me a nearly-full charge for under $5.

For the entire trip, I had less charging trouble than I’ve seen with non-Tesla stations in the past. There are significantly more stations, and my concerns will disappear next year when Tesla’s network opens up.

Overall, I’m really happy with it. I switched to the Lightning from a Model Y because I wanted an EV with better towing range for my 3,000-lb folding camper. I love the comfortable ride, and the driver assistance features are easier to live with than Tesla’s inflexible Autopilot. The Lightning is a much less fatiguing highway cruiser that makes up for lower efficiency with a much larger battery pack. It seems to have a bit longer real-world range than the Model Y, but I pay for that at the charging stop.

Ford F-150 Lightning First trip after switching from Tesla. PXL_20231120_144855974_Original.JPG
Ford F-150 Lightning First trip after switching from Tesla. IMG_1729 (1)
Ford F-150 Lightning First trip after switching from Tesla. IMG_1740 (1)
Ford F-150 Lightning First trip after switching from Tesla. IMG_1744 (1)
Ford F-150 Lightning First trip after switching from Tesla. IMG_1746
Sponsored

JRT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
Good trip report! I'll be making a full family trip the week before Christmas from Huntsville AL to Flagler Beach FL. All pre-planning is done, my biggest issue is a lack of charging between Jacksonville and Ormond Beach right now. Plug share shows a lot of comments on congestion at EA and horrible FPL experience.

OP
OP

TomB985

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT ER
Good trip report! I'll be making a full family trip the week before Christmas from Huntsville AL to Flagler Beach FL. All pre-planning is done, my biggest issue is a lack of charging between Jacksonville and Ormond Beach right now. Plug share shows a lot of comments on congestion at EA and horrible FPL experience.
I believe that. There are corridors along the east and west coasts that don't have enough charging for the holiday surge. It seems to be getting better from my experience, but things won't meaningfully improve until Tesla opens up their network. That combined with all of the new DCFC stations in the pipeline should make 2024 a heckuva lot better than 2023.

I was seriously impressed with EA, though. That network was a big reason I traded my EV6 after only 6 months and returned to Tesla, but my experience this time was flawless. I was only willing to consider Ford when they announced NACS support, and I'm really looking forward to having more competition for EA and the others.

johnnyonetime

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
I found the EA chargers in Jacksonville to be issue free a few months ago.
I had problems in Ormond and you’ll probably have to wait in line. Parking is very tight and many of the chargers were out of service. Safe travels!

swajames

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Technology and software development
Great report! I've also had no issues with EA. To the point about efficiency, my truck is at 2.1 mi/kWh since new, so roughly EPA numbers are definitely doable. With that said, we don't get cold weather here, so we never have to deal with that and the cold weather impact on range etc. I don't drive conservatively, if I did I'd easily exceed the 2.1. So I think this truck is reasonably efficient all things considered. It's no Tesla, but they're not doing what our trucks can do.

Sponsored
OP
OP

TomB985

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT ER
Great report! I've also had no issues with EA. To the point about efficiency, my truck is at 2.1 mi/kWh since new, so roughly EPA numbers are definitely doable. With that said, we don't get cold weather here, so we never have to deal with that and the cold weather impact on range etc. I don't drive conservatively, if I did I'd easily exceed the 2.1. So I think this truck is reasonably efficient all things considered. It's no Tesla, but they're not doing what our trucks can do.
I believe that. I've seen other reports that suggest they're relatively efficient for something this size. I think cold weather hits worse because of the inefficient resistive heater, though. I was amazed at how much of an improvement I saw with my EV6 and Model Y over my 2019 Model 3 that had a resistive heater. I'm not worried because I won't be travelling as much during the colder months, and off-peak charging is cheap at home.

eRockBoon

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Pro (extended range)
My efficiency also took a big hit when I swapped to 3-peak snow tires as well… particularly on wet roads at interstate speeds. I feel like the extra siping makes them very sticky. Traction vs efficiency is such a game of tug-o-war.

Toyo and Nokian both have EV approved 3-peak AT tires. I am looking forward to hearing more about those over the next year or so… but at the end of the day you still have to play by the laws of physics.

RedLightning86

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning (Lariat). 2009 Escape Hybrid.
Unfortunate that the Madison charge stations were that way; I've used those twice, but worked well both times.

Living in rural Wisconsin, I am paying $0.08 per kwh to charge my Lariat ER at home, and loving that. But even better is free charging at work!

I have the Hand's Free Blue Cruise. And tried a Tesla model Y in Europe in August. Blue Cruise beats Autopilot all around the ring. I found Autopilot to swerve dangerously. And hands free is awesome - once I get on the highway, hands come off wheel, I can eat and drink whatever I have, tension goes down, life is good!

So yep - we got us some good trucks!

I drove my truck from Minnesota to my parents' house in New Hampshire this week, which gave me the first real opportunity to get to know its travel manners. I wrote this for another forum that doesn't have many EV owners, so much of this may be a bit redundant in a group of Lightning owners. I've had four F150s in the past, but I've been driving a 2022 Model Y for the year before getting my Lightning, which frames my thoughts at the moment.

It was really comfortable. It's a completely different experience from the Model Y with its stiff, sports car-like suspension that beats you to death on trips. The regular F150 has morphed into being a comfortable family cruiser over the lanlst two decades, and the Lightning takes that a step further with a smoother ride and silent powertrain. Unlike my other EVs, I can't even hear an inverter whine when I jump on the throttle. The only powertrain noise comes from a pedestrian alert speaker that activates below 25 MPH and when backing up. I got a good comparison with a Powerboost rental truck last week while mine was in for recalls last week, and the Lightning rides noticeably better with its greater heft and independent rear suspension. I've had one car that's ridden better, but nothing has been this quiet and tranquil at highway speeds. Ford did a great job with this.

The driver assist features were really helpful. My XLT ER has their mid-level Copilot360 Assist, which offers everything but their hands-free BlueCruise. When enabled, it activates whenever the truck sees clear lane markers and automatically keeps the truck centered in its lane. It functions similar to Tesla's autopilot, but it's not as capable on sharp turns, and it'll send you into a guardrail if you're not paying attention when it gets twisty. It will operate for about ten seconds if you take your hands off the wheel before giving you a warning chime, and eventually deactivating with loud warning buzzers and flashing lights. I thought it was useful for when I was adjusting settings on the infotainment system and reaching for my coffee. It also made for a more relaxing drive as the truck mostly drove itself along those straight midwestern freeways with my close supervision.

It allows me to provide enough steering input to adjust the truck’s position in the lane, but will eventually disengage if I push harder to override its guidance. This is a much better implementation than Tesla’s Autopilot, which sharply disengages before letting you adjust lane position an inch. The adaptive cruise control is also much more consistent than Tesla’s vision-only system, presumably because Ford uses radar sensors to determine distance.

It’s not very efficient. Most EVs measure efficiency in terms of miles per kilowatt-hour of energy. The truck is rated for of 2.1 mi/kWh on the EPA test cycle, and most reviews suggest it’s capable of nearly that on the highway. I’ve never seen anything close to those numbers, and this trip was no exception. Conditions weren’t great with a moderate headwind and 25-40º temperature for the entire trip, but I could only manage 1.5-1.8 at speeds of 65-70 MPH. Gas prices have been dropping, but fast charging rates have stayed relatively constant, and this thing is one of the least-efficient EVs on the road.

Part of my lousy efficiency may be the tires. I had the dealer install Firestone Destination A/T2s because of their great ratings in snow, but their aggressive siping will make them less efficient than the highway tread on the factory rubber. The Lightning also relies on a resistive heater to keep the cabin warm instead of a much more efficient heat pump that other EVs use. My Model Y and EV6 would draw between 1-1.5 kW to keep me warm at those temperatures, but the truck was drawing between 3-4 kW from its immersion heater that warms coolant piped into a heater core in the dash. This is going to be an even bigger drop as the temperatures get cooler, but the 2024 models will be much better.

Electrify America is the most prolific EV charging network, so I subscribed to their Pass+ program which bought me a 25% rate reduction for a $7 monthly fee. That lowered my cost to $0.36/kWh at their stations, but the cost was still significant.

At 1.5 mi/kWh, my Extended Range 130 kWh battery would take me only 195 miles if it were fully charged. Going from empty to full would cost me 130*0.36 = $46.80. That’s a lot of money for less than 200 miles of range. Fortunately(for me) the state of Wisconsin doesn’t permit non-utilities to sell electricity by the kilowatt-hour, so their fast chargers operate on a per-minute basis. The Lightning charges fast enough to make it significantly cheaper, but people with smaller and less-expensive EVs pay a lot more because they can’t charge as fast.

My total charging cost was $180 for the 1,450-mile trip. That’s a lot less than it would have been if I were paying $0.36 for every kilowatt I burned, but I was able to start from a full charge and stay at a hotel with an EV charger on the way.

Charging was less of a hassle than I expected. The Lightning has a peak rate of 150 kW on paper, so I was expecting significantly longer charge times than my Model Y. I was pleasantly surprised to see it consistently charge at 170-180 kW at EA’s high-powered charge stations. EV batteries usually see peak rates when they are deeply discharged, but the Lightning’s big pack has a better charge curve than anything I’ve owned. It would spike to over 160 kW if you plug in as high as 60%, and held higher rates much longer than anything I’ve had before. Most of my charge stops were between 25-40 minutes, and it was often ready to go before I was.
Electrify America’s awful reliability was a big factor behind dumping my EV6 for my Model Y. The world is turning inside-out because EA’s chargers were flawless for me. I was 6/6 with their stations, but my two stops on the Shell Recharge network gave me nothing but problems.

Most infuriating was at the Madison charging hub, which is operated by their local utility company. I plugged in to Unit 2 and started charging normally, so I went inside the gas station to use the bathroom. I came out to find it shut down after 10 kWh, so I moved over to Unit 1, and it wouldn’t recognize the truck. Unit 3 was offline, Unit 4 gave me an error, and Units 5 and 6 gave me payment glitches from their app. A ten-minute call to customer service later, I was charging at a reduced rate of 70 kW. It doesn’t take a math wizard to realize how much longer it takes to fill my 130 kWh tank at that rate. The Tesla drivers at the adjoining Supercharger station must have found my problems funny, but I was laughing on the inside with the insanely cheap rate I got from these finicky chargers. All of that frustration got me a nearly-full charge for under $5.

For the entire trip, I had less charging trouble than I’ve seen with non-Tesla stations in the past. There are significantly more stations, and my concerns will disappear next year when Tesla’s network opens up.

Overall, I’m really happy with it. I switched to the Lightning from a Model Y because I wanted an EV with better towing range for my 3,000-lb folding camper. I love the comfortable ride, and the driver assistance features are easier to live with than Tesla’s inflexible Autopilot. The Lightning is a much less fatiguing highway cruiser that makes up for lower efficiency with a much larger battery pack. It seems to have a bit longer real-world range than the Model Y, but I pay for that at the charging stop.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
We'll be traveling the 28th from west central Georgia(Plains, GA, home of the Carters), to the Tampa/StPeteBeach area for a conference... I'll probably average 2.5 or so in my PRO, but I'll not be in any hurry, and will be traveling over two days... yes, there are relatively few charging options along this less-traveled US19/Alt19 path, almost the WHOLE 361 mile distance ...
Ford F-150 Lightning First trip after switching from Tesla. 361 miles

chances are, I will not be relying on a 'single' charging point along the way, which the truck could do, but more likely several.... just in case. I've not traveled this path with an EV, so 'knowing' what charge options are either operational or have the speed I'd like won't be truly known until then.
I've traveled about 37,000 miles, much of that with a 3,000lb camper, so my experience prepares me for almost any situation or scenario...

JRT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
We'll be traveling the 28th from west central Georgia(Plains, GA, home of the Carters), to the Tampa/StPeteBeach area for a conference... I'll probably average 2.5 or so in my PRO, but I'll not be in any hurry, and will be traveling over two days... yes, there are relatively few charging options along this less-traveled US19/Alt19 path, almost the WHOLE 361 mile distance ...
361 miles.png

chances are, I will not be relying on a 'single' charging point along the way, which the truck could do, but more likely several.... just in case. I've not traveled this path with an EV, so 'knowing' what charge options are either operational or have the speed I'd like won't be truly known until then.
I've traveled about 37,000 miles, much of that with a 3,000lb camper, so my experience prepares me for almost any situation or scenario...
You probably already know this but FPL has their own app you need for their stations. Reports are not great, but I've got them mapped. My stops are about 80 miles south of Atlanta now, I'll see how I'm doing and judge if to stop or skip. ER XLT with 4 of us and loaded for a week will be interesting

Sponsored

gregoryhcain

First Name
Gregory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota 4Runner, Nissan Pickup
Occupation
Physician
Thanks for the report. My experience on the stock General Grabber tires in Summer staying at 58-60 I get 2.1. But every bit of speed above that pays a wind price that goes up geometrically. I’m retired so I don’t care about getting places fast anymore as everyday is vacation. But when I had to be back in the office Monday my time did matter.

Ventorum94

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chev Avalanche, BMW 550i, Tesla MY, Tesla M3
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Thanks for pointing that out. I’m always amazed when I read efficiency comparisons between Teslas and Lightnings. The issue is physics, not necessarily drivetrain design- simply, the Lightning pushes a lot more air than a Tesla, and that’s what highway efficiency is mainly about. Would a Lightning with a Tesla drivetrain get a lot more than 2.1mi/kWh? We’ll probably never find out, but 2.1 is state-of-the-art efficiency for an EV the height and shape of the Lightning, and there’s a lot that Ford did to make even that 2.1 happen (like an active air dam- how many vehicles go to that much trouble to eke out a little more highway efficiency?)
Ever notice that your highway efficiency improves significantly when driving at steady high speed in heavy traffic, as opposed to only-truck-on-the-road? (helps to have an OBD monitor to see real-time efficiency). The other vehicles create a space of moving air, kind of like the middle of a river, and there’s less air to push out of the way, because it’s already moving in the same direction because of the cars around you. I’ve never tried it, but theoretically, driving fast in heavy traffic in a long tunnel should achieve greater efficiency than driving in the open ever could.

Last edited:

Joneii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla MY
We have a Tesla model y and a lighting. When it comes to road trips we pick the Lightning hands down for everything with the exception of charging infrastructure reliability. As the OP pointed out the Lightning’s ride and driver assist are far superior to the Model Y’s. But the Lightning also has more creature comforts: a much roomier cabin, multiple power supply options for front and rear passengers, and loads of useful storage and proper cup holders! While the Model Y is no slouch when it comes to cargo storage, it can’t match the Lightning. Right now we are on a trip where we loaded 4 passengers, 4 sets of downhill skis, the boots, 4 sets of X-country skis and boots, all our luggage with cold weather gear, and two coolers containing our entire precooked Thanksgiving meal. While the charging situation is usually the dim light compared to our Model Y, the fact that this trip was PA to NH means that we could actually use Superchargers for two of three charge stops due to decent deployment of Magic Dock in NY/CT.

OP
OP

TomB985

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT ER
Thanks for pointing that out. I’m always amazed when I read efficiency comparisons between Teslas and Lightnings. The issue is physics, not necessarily drivetrain design- simply, the Lightning pushes a lot more air than a Tesla, and that’s what highway efficiency is mainly about. Would a Lightning with a Tesla drivetrain get a lot more than 2.1mi/kWh? We’ll probably never find out, but 2.1 is state-of-the-art efficiency for an EV the height and shape of the Lightning, and there’s a lot that Ford did to make even that 2.1 happen (like an active air dam- how many vehicles go to that much trouble to eke out a little more highway efficiency?)
I agree with most of that. I was shocked when I got down underneath my dad‘s 2023, 2.7 L F150 and saw the same active air dam my lightning has. Active aero be more common on newer trucks than we think.

Ford uses two permanent magnet motors which are always engaged because they can’t freewheel like an induction motor. Tesla uses an induction motor upfront that’s only powered when needed to increase efficiency. I had a Kia EV6 for six months that had permanent magnet motors, but the front had a mechanical disconnect that let the motor spin to a halt above 40 mph.

If I have one other powertrain gripe, it would be the front-biased power distribution. The front almost always sees more power than the rear on the power distribution screen, and my OBD scanner shows the same. I wish it were the other way around.

Bwanapete

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning, 2017 Tesla MS90d, 1941 Lincoln V12
I greatly prefer Tesla Autopilot over Blue Cruise. One BC annoyance is how often BC Handsfree switches off, and another is that when I am in the right lane and pass an exit, the truck wants to slow down in response to the post that has the turn arrow and ramp speed. Then I have to reset it. I miss how my Tesla can change lanes to pass.
Sponsored