• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Ford 80A Charge Station Pro

RLXXI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F 150, 2014 Escape, 2011 Suzuki DR 650SE
Occupation
Auto tech
I have a solar panel array connected to an inverter.
Will I be able to use this for the Lightning?
Thank you.

BHUn1kFCfJsrI22Wq10iEot65NUHMIF4RTBDhs=w500-no-tmp.jpg

br6W77HfItuFKo4iTgOCzNqEuNRKDSG8UEKsQq=w500-no-tmp.jpg
Looks like you have a grid array like I do and if the grid goes down, the inverter shuts the array off. While the grid is alive and the sun is shining your array will feed the truck and the rest of your home before it sends any juice into the grid as per normal operation.
Sponsored

aeroengineer

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Reservation Holder
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
Anyone know if you will need a 100A circuit to use this 80A charger or can it be limited to lower current? IE: 40/50A?
This is a question I have too. Right now I have a Tesla wall connector hard wired on a 60A circuit inside my garage. I’m trying to plan what modifications will be needed, especially since the Lightning probably won’t fit in the garage. The easiest solution would be to install the charger included with the extended range battery model in place of the Tesla charger if it can be set to “only” charge to 48A. I assume this solution - if possible - might also eliminate the backup power function too.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
This is a question I have too. Right now I have a Tesla wall connector hard wired on a 60A circuit inside my garage. I’m trying to plan what modifications will be needed, especially since the Lightning probably won’t fit in the garage. The easiest solution would be to install the charger included with the extended range battery model in place of the Tesla charger if it can be set to “only” charge to 48A. I assume this solution - if possible - might also eliminate the backup power function too.
I've no idea whether putting it on a 60A circuit would eliminate ability to use it for backup power (without any evidence, I suspect that it would not), but if that's the case, wouldn't the simplest solution be to sell the pro charger and invest in a tesla tap adapter?

aeroengineer

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Reservation Holder
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
I've no idea whether putting it on a 60A circuit would eliminate ability to use it for backup power (without any evidence, I suspect that it would not), but if that's the case, wouldn't the simplest solution be to sell the pro charger and invest in a tesla tap adapter?
Probably. It would likely be the easiest/cheapest option. I’d just need to settle on a good way to run the cable/adapter combo out from the garage and close the door for overnight charging. I still might look into relocating the charger to the outside wall of the house near the garage. If I do that, I’d probably install a different EVSE so an adapter is no longer needed (Ford or other 3rd party brand) as long as the cost is reasonable. The electrician basically said I was using all the panel space I had when he put in the 60A circuit for the Tesla charger, so I doubt a 100A will be doable.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
Probably. It would likely be the easiest/cheapest option. I’d just need to settle on a good way to run the cable/adapter combo out from the garage and close the door for overnight charging. I still might look into relocating the charger to the outside wall of the house near the garage. If I do that, I’d probably install a different EVSE so an adapter is no longer needed (Ford or other 3rd party brand) as long as the cost is reasonable. The electrician basically said I was using all the panel space I had when he put in the 60A circuit for the Tesla charger, so I doubt a 100A will be doable.
So do you no longer have a tesla? And don't need to charge 2 vehicles? For a single vehicle charging I would recommend chargepoint flex. For multiple vehicles wallbox pulsar+ has gotten very good reviews and you can install multiple chargers that can share a single circuit.

Sponsored

Jer1983

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord
Occupation
Electrician
100 amp circuit USA - #1 aluminum or #3 copper, period. Rated using the 75 degree column because it’s a branch circuit not a service entrance cable.
Your best option is to pull #1 aluminum ser to wherever the charger is going to be located. Copper is outrageously expensive right now. If you don’t have a 200 amp service forget it. Also the Tesla chargers I’ve felt with had adjustable settings so you could install on lesser circuits but I doubt this will be the case since it can power your house.

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
I have 200 amp service into the house with a gas dryer and gas furnace. The dryer uses 110 service. Am I good to go?

Jer1983

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord
Occupation
Electrician
110? Never heard of such a thing. 30amp for dryers and 30-60 for electric ranges.

look I need to be real with all you guys here. If you can not afford to have an electrician come out and do a load calculation on your house (should be free, you can probably find a calculator online) then pull a wire to your garage, probably between 1-5k depending on opening walls whatever, how are you paying for a 50-90k truck that a main feature relies on said charger? How do you not see the value in it.

Last edited:

Sponsored

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ah yes. Whoooosh
I can thank my engineer wife for that decision when we were having the house built 25 years ago. But who knew we would have EVs. Should of had the 240 volt line run anyways. Hindsight is always 20-20.

Jer1983

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord
Occupation
Electrician
I can thank my engineer wife for that decision when we were having the house built 25 years ago. But who knew we would have EVs. Should of had the 240 volt line run anyways. Hindsight is always 20-20.
Have never looked into gas dryers. I’ve never seen one. I’m an electrician and have worked in residential. Something in my brain has always told me hey those are gonna start fires but that’s probably about as true as cold water boiling faster than warm water. So it didn’t even register to me what you were talking about. Hey you should tell your engineer wife to look into how they’re banning gas everything in California

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Have never looked into gas dryers. I’ve never seen one. I’m an electrician and have worked in residential. Something in my brain has always told me hey those are gonna start fires but that’s probably about as true as cold water boiling faster than warm water. So it didn’t even register to me what you were talking about. Hey you should tell your engineer wife to look into how they’re banning gas everything in California
I’m also with a fire dept, and we have run plenty of electric dryer fires over the years. Cause is generally a build up of lint.

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Now that I had the electrician out, hindsight is not 20-20 in this case. He advised that if we had a 240 circuit run to the laundry room next to the garage, the wiring still would not have been sufficient since a 100 amp circuit requires a more capable wire than what would otherwise have been run.

The county we live in is one of the more strict counties and requires actual load calculations. Apparently, there was an electrician who messed up and the load calculations are designed to prevent errors in the future that upset customers (our county treats the public as customers) and/or the electric utilities. By getting things correct upfront, the customer can make informed decisions.
Sponsored