• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Ford 80A Charge Station Pro

JayKay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco
We’re starting our house build soon and I’d like to have it wired to support the Lightning and Charge Station Pro.

What do I need to have the electrician include…200a panel? NEMA 14-50 receptacle?
Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
We’re starting our house build soon and I’d like to have it wired to support the Lightning and Charge Station Pro.

What do I need to have the electrician include…200a panel? NEMA 14-50 receptacle?
We all wish we knew. Hopefully at least a wiring diagram will come out soon.

At a minimum I would run a 100A circuit to where ever you want to put the charge station and probably leave extra length of wire for whatever is needed.

biers

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf
We all wish we knew. Hopefully at least a wiring diagram will come out soon.

At a minimum I would run a 100A circuit to where ever you want to put the charge station and probably leave extra length of wire for whatever is needed.
I would have the 100A circuit (2 gauge wire) run from the panel to a service box near the panel, and then to where you want your EVSE. The Sunrun box will likely be between your panel and the EVSE - on the same circuit.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E, 2016 Leaf, 2003 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
retired oceanographer
the 1st question is a yes. That charger will charge anything with a J1772 (the top part of a CCS) plug. (basically anything not tesla).

The 2nd question is a really good one. Hardware-wise, it should theoretically be able to do the same with any vehicle; The question is whether or not they lock that feature down through software or not.
I think the 1st question is "probably". We need to get clarification on this from Ford as the presence of the other two connectors could potentially confuse some BEVs that are expecting DCFC. I hope your "yes" is correct.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E, 2016 Leaf, 2003 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
retired oceanographer
The 2nd question is a really good one. Hardware-wise, it should theoretically be able to do the same with any vehicle; The question is whether or not they lock that feature down through software or not.
This goes back to the discussion of Char-In above (https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/ford-80a-charge-station-pro.4139/post-74634). The question is if the BEV in question has both hardware connections and software to enable activation of the Char-In standards. It is likely to work for future BEVs. I hope the Mustang Mach E has the required hardware for this as well. The software will have to be added on the vehicle side for any BEV to serve as emergency power (V2H or vehicle to home).

Sponsored

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
Ford being able to push an ota and enable v2g on the currently built mach-e vehicles would be amazing.

Tonicart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Mazda 6
Anyone know if you will need a 100A circuit to use this 80A charger or can it be limited to lower current? IE: 40/50A?

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Anyone know if you will need a 100A circuit to use this 80A charger or can it be limited to lower current? IE: 40/50A?
Everything I have seen says that it will require the 100A circuit for the 80A charger. The 48A charger would need a 60A circuit.

Sdctcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Ford Escape, 2022 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
EV Gypsy
As we get closer to the launch of the Lightning, some of us are planning our charging solutions. I may be wrong in some of my assumptions so please correct me. The Extended Range Battery Option comes with an 80 amp Ford Charge Station Pro (which I would have to pay to have installed).

The cost of power to charge with the 80 amp vs. the 48 amp charger I assume would be less per charging session (on a 240 volt circuit).

My installation of the Ford Charge Station Pro (80 amp) would be from a 200 amp service panel with a two pole 100 amp breaker (assuming previous posts are correct). In my case it is in a commercial building with very low useage on the other circuits and available space in the box. The charger would be mounted just feet away from the panel on the exterior wall opposite the panel which is on the interior wall.

I believe all Lightning models come with the puny 32 amp charger with an option to purchase the 48 amp.

Any comments or corrections would be appreciated. Getting information on this subject is difficult.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
The cost of power to charge with the 80 amp vs. the 48 amp charger I assume would be less per charging session (on a 240 volt circuit).
Why would it be less? The cost would be based per kWh, not per session.
I believe all Lightning models come with the puny 32 amp charger with an option to purchase the 48 amp.
32A isn't so puny, but yes, the mobile charge comes with every trim. If you're driving less than 100 miles per day 32A may be plenty. If you aren't getting or installing 80A charger, there are many choices of 3rd party chargers available. Yo can also get a charger that plugs into an outlet (such 14-50 or 6-50). In that case you would be limited to 40A charger. Many people seem to think that plug in charger gives them additional flexibility.

Sponsored

Brian Head Yankee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Sport, Chevy Colorado 4x4
Why would it be less? The cost would be based per kWh, not per session.

32A isn't so puny, but yes, the mobile charge comes with every trim. If you're driving less than 100 miles per day 32A may be plenty. If you aren't getting or installing 80A charger, there are many choices of 3rd party chargers available. Yo can also get a charger that plugs into an outlet (such 14-50 or 6-50). In that case you would be limited to 40A charger. Many people seem to think that plug in charger gives them additional flexibility.

Finally, a voice of reason. The portable charger will give you 80 to 100 miles of range every night charging from 10 PM to 6 AM during off peak time with no dryer, no oven, no hot tub running.

Ford F-150 Lightning Ford 80A Charge Station Pro calm-down-everybody-meme

Kiggulak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Volt, 2013 Focus EV, 2019 Model 3LR
Finally, a voice of reason. The portable charger will give you 80 to 100 miles of range every night charging from 10 PM to 6 AM during off peak time with no dryer, no oven, no hot tub running.
I totally agree even my 2013 110 portable EVSE for my Electric Focus recovers 80 miles range in 8 hours overnight on a 15 amp breaker.

Sdctcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Ford Escape, 2022 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
EV Gypsy
I want to point members to a couple of recent URLs that I found useful on this subject.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/fords-charge-station-pro-first-vehicle-to-grid-charger/

Motortrend News
["Using All The Pins
These Charge Station Pro chargers are therefore among the very first to utilize all seven pins in the CCS1 type charging cord. As you may know, the three big pins in the upper circular part of the charger deliver AC current, while the smaller pins (4
and 5) handle communication between vehicle and charger. The two big pins (6 and 7) are typically used only for DC fast charging."]

https://www.designnews.com/automoti...n-pro-cuts-lightning-recharge-time-40-percent
***This is a great site with high quality news of EV interest.

Design News
[The use of a solar array in concert with the new Lightning makes them the mobile equivalent of Tesla’s Power Wall Home Battery Bank.]

["The battery, we can provide a bigger one,” observed F-150 Lightning chief engineer Linda Zhang, “But if you can’t charge it overnight, what’s the point?"]

I also have a question. I noticed a pic a member had taken of an 80 Amp Charger mounted in a dealership. It looked to me like there was a 1/2 inch conduit running along the wall to the box. I had understood that #2 or #3 wire should be used on a 100 amp circuit. Hardly seems possible that three wires that size could fit into that conduit - or am I wrong?

SteffanG

First Name
Steffan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Audi Q5 (written off), 2008 F150 XLT HDPP
Occupation
Electrician
I want to point members to a couple of recent URLs that I found useful on this subject.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/fords-charge-station-pro-first-vehicle-to-grid-charger/

Motortrend News
["Using All The Pins
These Charge Station Pro chargers are therefore among the very first to utilize all seven pins in the CCS1 type charging cord. As you may know, the three big pins in the upper circular part of the charger deliver AC current, while the smaller pins (4
and 5) handle communication between vehicle and charger. The two big pins (6 and 7) are typically used only for DC fast charging."]

https://www.designnews.com/automoti...n-pro-cuts-lightning-recharge-time-40-percent
***This is a great site with high quality news of EV interest.

Design News
[The use of a solar array in concert with the new Lightning makes them the mobile equivalent of Tesla’s Power Wall Home Battery Bank.]

["The battery, we can provide a bigger one,” observed F-150 Lightning chief engineer Linda Zhang, “But if you can’t charge it overnight, what’s the point?"]

I also have a question. I noticed a pic a member had taken of an 80 Amp Charger mounted in a dealership. It looked to me like there was a 1/2 inch conduit running along the wall to the box. I had understood that #2 or #3 wire should be used on a 100 amp circuit. Hardly seems possible that three wires that size could fit into that conduit - or am I wrong?
I am an electrician in Canada but I believe the US would have the same ampacities and conduit fill..
The minimum conductor size would be #3. The minimum conduit size is a 1" conduit.