• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Ford Charge Station Pro cutting on and off

djherron

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
My Charge station Pro has starting cutting on and off. When it is charging the blue light is flashing on and off like it should. Then I can hear a relay and it will stop charging. It will start charging after a while and repeat. It will eventually charge to 100% but it takes a lot longer. I also do not see the WIFI from the charger. Has anyone else had this issue? I have turned the breaker off and let the system reboot to no avail.
Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
What is the SOC when the cycling occurs ie. above a certain SOC like 90 or 95% or at any lower value?

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
Since I charge late at night/early morning I'm not usually awake or in the garage while it's charging. I also only charge to 85% so I can't say I've seen anything like that. Do you get any notifications in the FordPass app?

OP
OP

djherron

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
It does not seem to matter what the SOC is. It does it t 30% as well as 80%. The Ford Pass app does say that it is plugged in but not charging when it is in the off cycle.

Sponsored

Tommy Holt

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning ER Lariat
Mine does the same. I’ve explored this topic on other forums and the consensus is that it is overheating. Suggestions include turning the amperage down to 64 from 80. I’ve yet to do that but with my charger mounted inside my garage with 110 degree temperature outside, I can see how that is a likely suspect.

Nikos

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F 150 Lightning
Occupation
Aircraft Mechanic
My Charge station Pro has starting cutting on and off. When it is charging the blue light is flashing on and off like it should. Then I can hear a relay and it will stop charging. It will start charging after a while and repeat. It will eventually charge to 100% but it takes a lot longer. I also do not see the WIFI from the charger. Has anyone else had this issue? I have turned the breaker off and let the system reboot to no avail.
It is a normal occurrence for the station to stop charging when it detects overheating.
In the winter months you don't see this case occuring constantly. If you live in the South, you will see the station shutting down. When you see this happening, walk out to where your station is placed and check your LED color. If it is amber, it means overheating. Touch/handle the charging cord, you see is soft and flexible and quite warm.
Another thing to watch, if you set the schedule of charging level to 85-90% and you want to charge to 100%, you going to have to reinitiate the charging to 100%, every time it cuts off charging above your scheduled charging level.
The Power Pro app needs more work from Ford to operate 100% all the time. I have raised the issue before in these forum discussions. Sometimes it works and sometimes is useless. At least the wallbox is charging. Your FordPass in the vehicle page will display the charge rate while you using the wallbox.
The wallbox may say Ford on the outside but it is manufactured by Siemens in the Philippines. Third party equipment. Tesla makes their own wallboxes for their vehicles. This is what happens when you have to depend on someone else to build and upgrade charging infrastructure(wallbox), to meet your charging needs at home. In the future, we may have to use the Tesla Cybertruck wallbox charger. NACS receptacle ready. In the meantime, what we have will do the job. It really charges at a higher level.

FirstF150InCasco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Yes, I'm having this problem now. I had no problems for a year, and now suddenly this is happening consistently.

FirstF150InCasco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
It is a normal occurrence for the station to stop charging when it detects overheating.
In the winter months you don't see this case occuring constantly. If you live in the South, you will see the station shutting down. When you see this happening, walk out to where your station is placed and check your LED color. If it is amber, it means overheating. Touch/handle the charging cord, you see is soft and flexible and quite warm.
Another thing to watch, if you set the schedule of charging level to 85-90% and you want to charge to 100%, you going to have to reinitiate the charging to 100%, every time it cuts off charging above your scheduled charging level.
The Power Pro app needs more work from Ford to operate 100% all the time. I have raised the issue before in these forum discussions. Sometimes it works and sometimes is useless. At least the wallbox is charging. Your FordPass in the vehicle page will display the charge rate while you using the wallbox.
The wallbox may say Ford on the outside but it is manufactured by Siemens in the Philippines. Third party equipment. Tesla makes their own wallboxes for their vehicles. This is what happens when you have to depend on someone else to build and upgrade charging infrastructure(wallbox), to meet your charging needs at home. In the future, we may have to use the Tesla Cybertruck wallbox charger. NACS receptacle ready. In the meantime, what we have will do the job. It really charges at a higher level.
What do you mean by the last sentance, "It really charges at a higher level". What does the word "It" refer to? Thanks.

Nikos

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F 150 Lightning
Occupation
Aircraft Mechanic
What do you mean by the last sentance, "It really charges at a higher level". What does the word "It" refer to? Thanks.
I have two EVs. A Mach E and a Lightning.
I use a ChargePoint Flex Home wallbox at 48amps and a Ford Power Pro station at 80amps. The Power Pro wallbox really draws 80 amps. You can hear the electrons flowing from your distribution box, to your wallbox and into your Lightning. This is what I mean by "it" on my last sentence.
If I need a quick charge for my Mach E, I use the Power Pro wallbox. It really works faster charging my Mach E.

Sponsored

FirstF150InCasco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
I use a ChargePoint Flex Home wallbox at 48amps and a Ford Power Pro station at 80amps. The Power Pro wallbox really draws 80 amps. You can hear the electrons flowing from your distribution box, to your wallbox and into your Lightning. This is what I mean by "it" on my last sentence.
If I need a quick charge for my Mach E, I use the Power Pro wallbox. It really works faster charging my Mach E.
Nice to hear! I've just the 80 amp Charge Station Pro and I love it. It's at our camp in Maine. It's so easy to plug the Lightning in and charge. And it's quite fast. (My apartment building in Boston has 30 amp chargers which take forever!!) Plus the Charge Station Pro is loved by my wife who as an Audi eTron.

Nikos

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F 150 Lightning
Occupation
Aircraft Mechanic
Nice to hear! I've just the 80 amp Charge Station Pro and I love it. It's at our camp in Maine. It's so easy to plug the Lightning in and charge. And it's quite fast. (My apartment building in Boston has 30 amp chargers which take forever!!) Plus the Charge Station Pro is loved by my wife who as an Audi eTron.
No worries. Win...Win situation.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
A Mach-E cannot AC charge over 48A.

Refactoringdr

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 2023 Lightning Platinum (ER)
Yes, I'm having this problem now. I had no problems for a year, and now suddenly this is happening consistently.
Same experience. I haven't had it a year, but I never had any overheating problems. It's in my garage where it is rarely over 90F. The app shows that there's firmware pending (Mine updated initially after install in January, so should have never had the thermal issues the earlier ones did). I wonder if they changed the firmware recently and it reverted to the previous behavior for all of us.
Sponsored