• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Ford equivalent to Tesla mobile connector?

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
It looks like the Ford mobile charger (connector) includes interchangeable plugs for both 5-15 and 14-50 receptacles. That's nice, but none of my family members have those. I charge my Model S on either a 6-20 or a 14-30 in their garages. I'm curious if anyone knows about planned availability for other Ford connectors beyond the 5-15 and 14-50.

Alternatively I wonder if you can use the Lectron Tesla to J1772 adapter and connect with a Tesla UMC. The Gen2 UMC has several adapters already available and provides up to 32A @ 240v. A gen1 Tesla UMC could provide up to 40A @ 240v. The Lectron adapter would also come in handy at hotels and some parking garages that only have Tesla HPWCs.
Sponsored

Sklith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance, Energica Ego
I don't see any issues with using the Tesla to J-plug adapter. It'll definitely come in handy when staying in hotels. Most of the Tesla destination chargers are much more powerful than the J1772 ones.

OP
OP
beatle

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Well, I should have also stated that a 5-15 is basically useless for charging unless you only need to add a few percentage points overnight, so I don't consider that a viable option when traveling.

OP
OP
beatle

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I don't see any issues with using the Tesla to J-plug adapter. It'll definitely come in handy when staying in hotels. Most of the Tesla destination chargers are much more powerful than the J1772 ones.
I can't find the info now, but I though I'd read somewhere that not all EVs are "smart" enough to negotiate the charging current when plugged into the adapter and Tesla UMC. Basically they would always attempt to draw at the UMC's maximum output which could be 32A. If you're plugged into a 6-20 or a 14-30, you'd want it to negotiate to 16A or 24A, respectively. I did read somewhere that the MME does not allow the user to limit the amperage the car's charger will draw, so you're left to the connector to autonegotiate properly.

Sponsored

DoomTrain

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sierra, Model S
Well, I should have also stated that a 5-15 is basically useless for charging unless you only need to add a few percentage points overnight, so I don't consider that a viable option when traveling.
It did come in handy staying in the middle of georgia nowhere. Chattanooga was the closest supercharger, stayed in the hills at a resort for 3 days it charged it enough to get it to knoxville.

Sklith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance, Energica Ego
It did come in handy staying in the middle of georgia nowhere. Chattanooga was the closest supercharger, stayed in the hills at a resort for 3 days it charged it enough to get it to knoxville.
Even charging a 131 kWh Lightning for 3 days on a 5-15 can add more than half the capacity so I agree. It's impractical but doable.

OP
OP
beatle

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have used a 5-15 when available, but It's not something I can rely on, especially with a battery that is close to 2x the usable capacity of my S.

Regardless, this thread isn't about what a 5-15 or 14-50 can do since those come with the Ford connector already. This is about being able to charge on a variety of other receptacle types that Ford doesn't (yet?) provide.

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium 4X, 2018 Ford F150xlt Sport
If you run across an outlet that doesn't fit Fords supplied connectors you can buy a plug adapter. Amazon is full of them

OP
OP
beatle

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Specifically for Ford? Like these, but for connecting to the Ford adapter? I don't think those are available, but would love to be wrong.

https://shop.tesla.com/product/gen-2-nema-adapters

Or do you mean something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/CircleCord-C...+14-30+to+14-50+adapter&qid=1641396690&sr=8-3

The latter would allow someone to plug the Ford 14-50P into a 14-30R, but if the charger's draw cannot be reduced to below 24A, it will attempt to pull 32A and will blow the breaker at best, or cause a fire at worst.

Sponsored

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium 4X, 2018 Ford F150xlt Sport
Specifically for Ford? Like these, but for connecting to the Ford adapter? I don't think those are available, but would love to be wrong.

https://shop.tesla.com/product/gen-2-nema-adapters

Or do you mean something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/CircleCord-C...+14-30+to+14-50+adapter&qid=1641396690&sr=8-3

The latter would allow someone to plug the Ford 14-50P into a 14-30R, but if the charger's draw cannot be reduced to below 24A, it will attempt to pull 32A and will blow the breaker at best, or cause a fire at worst.
Was referring to the latter, but I am no electrical expert so..........

tbinmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 KR F150
Wife bought an EV last month and we have been waiting to get the 50amp circuit installed into the garage. In the meantime, we have used 5-15, which charges fast enough when she does a run, maybe uses about 20% of charge. But for heavier battery use, we are using the 30amp dryer plug with this adapater.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B086SSNKJP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The charger runs at 100% amperage when on the 5-15 (pulls 12 amps). But when I plug it in to the dryer outlet, I change the setting to 50%, so it only pulls 22 amps.

For the electrical load, you don't want to exceed 80% of the rated circuit, since it's a continuous load.

OP
OP
beatle

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The charger runs at 100% amperage when on the 5-15 (pulls 12 amps). But when I plug it in to the dryer outlet, I change the setting to 50%, so it only pulls 22 amps.
That seems to be the catch. From what I've read on the MME forums, they don't have the ability to reduce the draw. If they did, I could actually make my own adapters and plug the Ford 14-50P into any 240v receptacle and just adjust from the truck. Instead, I think we need to have the wall connector properly identify its maximum current so the truck autonegotiates to the proper draw. The Tesla UMC does this when plugging into a Tesla, but I'm not sure about when you use the Lectron adapter. I don't think it is that smart.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
I have a TeslaTap adaptor that allows my Mach-E to connect to Destination chargers. I have the 60A mini.
http://www.umc-j1772.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=146

You are correct in that you cannot simply adapt the Ford Mobile Charger to a less than 40A receptacle. Unless the Lightning has the capability to limit the charge current (unlike the MME).

OP
OP
beatle

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
That's pretty disappointing, but thanks for confirming. With the connector being modular I would think it's only a matter of time before Ford sells connectors that allow you to plug the mobile connector into different receptacles and adjust the current based on the receptacle's respective rating. That said, the MME has been out how long now?

Truthfully I have not needed to adjust the charging amps on my car, but it was nice to have the option in case I needed to jerry rig something for some obscure plug that Tesla doesn't offer.
Sponsored