• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
Thanks @LUXMAN for the heads up (I also see I have an email from Tesla) but there is a new Universal WC announced today. $595 - has NACS and J1772 built in - works similar to the Magic Dock.

This is a great value for Wifi connectivity, no need for a Tesla Tap which would cost a few hundred more. Unfortunately I've already invested in that set up.

https://shop.tesla.com/product/univ...onnector_launch&utm_content=universal_charger

Looks like @tommolog has his hands on one and maybe one of the first or only with a unit delivered to a reviewer.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
Just saw his video. Very cool tech. I might opt for one when we eventually replace the pilot with an EV. Good chance it will have NACS but it'll be nice that it could also serve as a back up to the FCSP. Brilliant move/design by Tesla.

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
These are one of the few chargers capable of load sharing, so it's perfect for multi-EV households.

COrocket

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Seems like the best way to install a future-proof charger that is still reasonably easy to use with todays J1772 cars. Really the only reason I havenā€™t bothered installing a hardwired J1772 charger is I know Iā€™d eventually want a NACS one and donā€™t want to do the install again down the road

Sponsored

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
While this unit has a reasonable price of $600, it is typically not eligible for utility discount/rebate. The 2 utility companies in the Phoenix area have the units from Chargepoint and EnelX at $250 off.

OP
OP
GDN

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Waiting for the V2G backfeed capable wall connectorā€¦
That will be interesting to see what comes from Tesla and the Cybertruck, but we don't know if it will have that feature. If it does, it'll be interesting to see how Tesla implements that, they have a different way of doing things. For backfeed you'll obvious have to have additional hardware like HIS from Ford or maybe this charger would handle the job and just hard wire downstream from the additional HIS type equipment.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
Thanks @LUXMAN for the heads up (I also see I have an email from Tesla) but there is a new Universal WC announced today. $595 - has NACS and J1772 built in - works similar to the Magic Dock.

This is a great value for Wifi connectivity, no need for a Tesla Tap which would cost a few hundred more. Unfortunately I've already invested in that set up.

https://shop.tesla.com/product/univ...onnector_launch&utm_content=universal_charger

Looks like @tommolog has his hands on one and maybe one of the first or only with a unit delivered to a reviewer.
For ER folks, might still be better to go with TeslaTap and a Gen 2 wall charger to be able to get 80A. w/load sharing.

I'm ok with 48A (heck even 32A) the majority of the time. But the couple of times I've needed it, 80A was REALLY nice.

Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
For ER folks, might still be better to go with TeslaTap and a Gen 2 wall charger to be able to get 80A. w/load sharing.

I'm ok with 48A (heck even 32A) the majority of the time. But the couple of times I've needed it, 80A was REALLY nice.
The gen 2 is 48A max. Only the original gen 1 was capable of 80.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Smart Ass
The gen 2 is 48A max. Only the original gen 1 was capable of 80.
Nope, my Gen 2s are 80A. Gen 3s is when they were reduced.

I've got 2 installed in my garage, load sharing and both capable of 80A.

Here you go straight from the source:
https://www.tesla.com/support/charging/gen-2-wall-connector

Scroll down to the bottom for the Gen 2 installation guide and click on it and you'll see a nice big 80A single phase label too.

*Edit are you thinking Gen2 mobile connector? They reduced the amperage compared to the Gen1 mobile connectors, but that was a reduction of 32A from 48A.

OP
OP
GDN

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Agree @Yellow Buddy - Gen 2 is capable of 80 amp, so truly could be nice to have long term. I do have mine on a 60 amp breaker dialed to 48 amp.

I also have a 14-50 for a mobile charger. Used to use them both at the same time when we had two model 3's. The 14-50 plug is still in the garage, but we truly have no need to charge both at once now. So one night the truck and then later in the week the Y both using the WC Just whoever needs more juice.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Nope, my Gen 2s are 80A. Gen 3s is when they were reduced.

I've got 2 installed in my garage, load sharing and both capable of 80A.

Here you go straight from the source:
https://www.tesla.com/support/charging/gen-2-wall-connector

Scroll down to the bottom for the Gen 2 installation guide and click on it and you'll see a nice big 80A single phase label too.

*Edit are you thinking Gen2 mobile connector? They reduced the amperage compared to the Gen1 mobile connectors, but that was a reduction of 32A from 48A.
Iā€˜m familiar with that link. This is what led me to make that conclusion:
Ford F-150 Lightning NACS + J1772 Home Charger -- Tesla Universal Wall Connector launched IMG_0592

I know older Teslas had 19 KW chargers. I suppose they could still charge at that rate with a gen 2, and the current modelsk internal Charger limits the rate to 48A?

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Smart Ass
Iā€˜m familiar with that link. This is what led me to make that conclusion:
IMG_0592.jpeg

I know older Teslas had 19 KW chargers. I suppose they could still charge at that rate with a gen 2, and the current modelsk internal Charger limits the rate to 48A?
Thatā€™s correct.

The charger adjusts to whatā€™s plugged into it. And it can be dialed down just like the FCSP but for a maximum between the two.

If I plug my 48A MS in, itā€™ll charge at 48A. If I plug the Lightning in, itā€™ll pull 80A. If both are plugged in, itā€™ll drop the Lightning down to 60A and keep pumping 20A the the Model S.

I also have a 14-50 like @GDN and if I plug the Lightning in, the Model S in, the Model X in the 14-50, Iā€™ll pull 128A from my garage panel. But the reality is 90% of the time Iā€™m pulling less than 48A between all three cars. My Teslas typically get turned down to 12A. My Ford chargers at 32A on the 14-50 and itā€™s rare that even 2 cars are plugged in at the same time.
Sponsored