• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Ford EV Software and Customer Service Woes

Grease Lightning

First Name
Johnathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT
At the risk of being “one of those guys,” my naïveté has been conditioned by the manufacturer of my two other vehicles. OTA updates are frequent, universal, beneficial and timely. Usually in a matter of days to a couple of weeks, every vehicle on the road has received the same update (tailored to its particular hardware set). Completely satisfied with the delivery and management of OTA updates, from that manufacturer.
So your expectations is your own based on your experience with an EV manufacturer that has been around for more than a decade and current name to fame is a utilitarian and basic designed car with kick ass software?

Then trying to transcribe that to a company that never set those expectations and has been around for over a century as an traditional automotive manufacturer?

See how your expectation that Ford will pivot and become a software focused EV manufacturer in three years has about the same amount of luck as the Titanic had pivoting to avoid that Iceberg🤷‍♂️
Sponsored

Grease Lightning

First Name
Johnathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT
The “reality” of satisfactory OTA update practices was established before Ford ever made a MME or F150L. It doesn’t have to be that way, for Ford owners.
Yep and the OTA updates sucked before they made the MME and the Lightning too.

So how is it you expected them to be better with even more modules doing more computing 🤷‍♂️

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
The “reality” of satisfactory OTA update practices was established before Ford ever made a MME or F150L. It doesn’t have to be that way, for Ford owners.
Then you should have bought a fugly car from him.

I owned vehicles from Ford prior to my 2021 Mach-E. Based on my experience, I expected exactly what we've received in the past 3 years. Met my expectations.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
Some vehicles, Mach-Es and Lightnings, have gotten stuck at some point. Clearly you were one of those. Also, when a dealer does updates, they may, or may not, get all of them. If you got 2 in a week, it is likely they were other modules the dealer didn't do. They may have done a crucial module (Gateway?) to break the logjam.
I seem to be in that boat at the moment, still on 4.X with most recent update being the owner's manual on Oct 4, 2023. I don't think it is a reasonable deployment of OTA's if people are getting stuck with no update when every peer (trucks built around the same time) are on the leading edge of updates. I've done everything on their PR page for updates and yet here I sit, twiddling my thumbs.

The vast majority of updates I don't mind, but when BC 1.4 comes out...that's another story. Ford ain't gonna get my business if I'm not able to test it out before my trial expires. At the rate things are released to my truck... my 10 year extended warranty will expire before I get the Tesla super charger update. :cautious:

OP
OP
Keanen

Keanen

First Name
Keanen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Software Engineering
By any chance, do you have any open recalls or customer satisfaction program items? 23B70 seemed like it really made a difference.
My sensor was replaced before I took delivery. I have been getting steady updates, but I wonder if that's because they are pushing me to the Super Charger update, which I received yesterday, OR they are changing their ways and trying to keep vehicles more current on updates.

Sponsored

TheWoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Platinum, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Plenty of people seem to be linking criticism of the way Ford is handling OTA updates with the idea we don't think the vehicle is amazing. Both can be true. My Lightning is my favorite vehicle I've ever driven, I love it, it's fantastic. AND Ford's approach to software for this vehicle is disjointed and disappointing. I know why it's the way it is, but I don't agree it needs to be and I don't like it.

Sure they did. Their strategy is to make us sit, wait, grown, and moan….🤣😂

Like me I can now P&C on Tesla (yet my adapter will be here in May), but still can’t see percentage on my gauge. I would have rather they pushed that update over the Tesla P&C. 🤷‍♂️
I have the same non-update of my SOC. Would love that one.

Disagree Ford has made it clear other than making it clear that it's completely and totally unclear.
It was and is a great EV. If we never got an update, it was still a great EV.
100% agree

Go back to the 1990’s and see how many “added features” came to your truck after the initial sale.
Completely irrelevant.

Do you really think they are going to publish a document that says on Tuesday at 12:00 pm PST we drop all softwares updates?
Rivian has said they're going to issue monthly updates and they do. All sorts of technology providers give a framework for releases.

Hell, Ford simply sharing when updates are coming as they're coming would be an improvement, but they also aren't going to do that because not everyone receives updates. And now they don't even keep a history of what updates we've received. I personally disagree with that strategy and don't mind telling them so.
Yep and the OTA updates sucked before they made the MME and the Lightning too.

So how is it you expected them to be better with even more modules doing more computing 🤷‍♂️
I expected them to be better because they said so in their marketing. They promised OTAs on a regular basis. So I expect them to do that.

And all that said, I love my truck and wouldn't trade it.

Grease Lightning

First Name
Johnathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT
Completely irrelevant.
It isn’t though. The reference was relevant as intended.

You used to buy a truck and take it in for an oil change and service. You didn’t get any “added features” or OTA of even the ecm at that point.

So even though I am not old enough to have bought in that range, I remember those days of you bought something and just accepted what the manufacturer provided.

Such simpler days….Will Smith as the Fresh Prince…..The Rachel….Hammer pants….and no stinking OTA updates to complain about🤷‍♂️

BTW since I am now getting OTA updates at least weekly, Ford is doing them regularly you just have to wait in line for your ticket to be drawn for the process to start.

TheWoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
It isn’t though. The reference was relevant as intended.

You used to buy a truck and take it in for an oil change and service. You didn’t get any “added features” or OTA of even the ecm at that point.

So even though I am not old enough to have bought in that range, I remember those days of you bought something and just accepted what the manufacturer provided.

Such simpler days….Will Smith as the Fresh Prince…..The Rachel….Hammer pants….and no stinking OTA updates to complain about🤷‍♂️

BTW since I am now getting OTA updates at least weekly, Ford is doing them regularly you just have to wait in line for your ticket to be drawn for the process to start.
No. What I bought in the 90s (because I'm old enough to have had a pickup truck then) is of no relevance to the expectations I have of a modern vehicle.

And I'm glad you're getting OTAs regularly now. I'm not. I did for a while once. Haven't had one for a couple months. You are. I'm in line, I guess, but Ford has never clarified how the line works or why. Which is ALL the point of the original thread.

Ford's OTA strategy sucks for customers.

Grease Lightning

First Name
Johnathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT
No. What I bought in the 90s (because I'm old enough to have had a pickup truck then) is of no relevance to the expectations I have of a modern vehicle.

And I'm glad you're getting OTAs regularly now. I'm not. I did for a while once. Haven't had one for a couple months. You are. I'm in line, I guess, but Ford has never clarified how the line works or why. Which is ALL the point of the original thread.

Ford's OTA strategy sucks for customers.
So you admit you have your own expectations that Ford never set, but you are still mad?

Sounds like you should reflect inward on your own disappointment for setting expectations for others. 😉😂🤣

TheWoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
So you admit you have your own expectations that Ford never set, but you are still mad?

Sounds like you should reflect inward on your own disappointment for setting expectations for others. 😉😂🤣
Not feeling very reflective. Just sharing experiences that others seem to share.

Everyone's expectations are their own. I'm not mad. I just think Ford's approach to OTAs sucks for customers. I don't believe they're handling it as well as they could. And I don't believe there's anything wrong with people voicing their displeasure over it.

I'm not sure why you care. Maybe you just like going back and forth on a message board? I know I do sometimes.

And, Ford's marketing and its CEOs words have implied plenty of things. That's the whole marketing game. If I didn't have an expectation, based on that marketing and a load of other information, of this being a great truck, I wouldn't have purchased it. Fortunately, it's a great truck in most ways. In the very few ways it isn't, I'm going to share that feedback in hopes they'll either improve this truck in ways they can or improve future vehicles in ways they can't.

IMO, Ford's OTA strategy and communication around it sucks.

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
My sensor was replaced before I took delivery. I have been getting steady updates, but I wonder if that's because they are pushing me to the Super Charger update, which I received yesterday, OR they are changing their ways and trying to keep vehicles more current on updates.
You are getting steady updates because of luck, nothing more. The more you try to make logic of the process, the more frustrated you are going to get. Nearly everyone got the Supercharger update.

tls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning
The plugshare app on your phone is better than charge assist.
How do I get Plugshare to filter for Supercharger locations that are open to non-Tesla vehicles?

It should really have this as a new connector type. It doesn't. Selecting "Tesla Connector" as a supported connector in the advanced settings comes close, but either includes V1/V2/Urban SCs or, if adjusted to filter for >150kW power, excludes a huge number of non-Tesla CCS locations I could actually charge at. Once I actually click on a compatible Supercharger location the detailed description shows "Open to Non-Tesla Vehicles" as a label but for some reason this isn't something the app seems to be able to filter on. Is there a better way to do it?

The Charge Assist/Public Charging app in the truck seems to be a real dumpster fire - I'm in the middle of a long trip and have now seen it fail to activate 3 different brands of chargers that are all supposedly "in the BlueOval network". The brand-specific apps work fine.

Grease Lightning

First Name
Johnathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT
I'm not sure why you care. Maybe you just like going back and forth on a message board? I know I do sometimes.
I care because I care about all of mankind and while I am not trying to diminish or invalidate a truth you have, I try to lighten up the clear toxic feeling on here at times.

Let’s be real for a minute. We are all fortunate to be driving this or any new car. With all the worlds problems, we should feel blessed for what we have and not giving the appearance of being ungrateful for being fortunate and/or busting our hump in life to afford a cool EV truck.

I have often jabbed about wanting an OTA, but always in a joke. So for some people (not you) to come out almost hostile at times because Ford didn’t do what Tesla did, does cause me to employ a little reflection periods to breakdown the anxiety and frustrations.

Spent too many years walking people back from frustration…..🤷‍♂️

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning
It was and is a great EV. If we never got an update, it was still a great EV.

I think people sometimes intermix the concept of future updates as a value added measurement and the product being great.

The Lightning is a great EV. All the updates that are making tweaks to the UI and adding features is just making an already great EV even better. The fact that Ford is making those tweaks means they are listening and care.

Go back to the 1990’s and see how many “added features” came to your truck after the initial sale.
1. Ford Customer Service sucks under any metric you choose. Don't believe me? Call any Customer Service phone number you find and ask them any question you think of then report back the answer you get.

2. Lightning is in the market with other EV truck makers. If I have to buy a 2024 model to get power off ProPower I'm going to be pissed off and I'm going to explore the market.

3. The concept of the Ford "family" is a joke and if you don't get that the joke's on you. Despite my user name I have little respect for the actual Ford family and assume everything that comes out of their mouths is in service of continuing their suedo-Royal existence. They don't listen, they don't care.

4. I cannot think of a Ford vehicle from the '90s that was anything other than a mid-level appliance. If that's where Ford is looking to for inspiration they are doomed.

5. My family's daily drivers are Ford and Lincoln. The reason I bought my Lightning is technology; it's fun, it's quiet, I can put my bags in the frunk, and I never need to go to the gas station...or even a charging station given my usage. My wife choose her Lincoln over a Kia EV9 because of space, massaging seats, and the keypad on the door.

Which is to say, I'm a fan of Ford Motor Company. I know Ford employees and I want them to do well. It's ridiculous you can't talk to a Ford employee on the phone who knows what they are talking about and the OPs experience isn't an isolated experience. Just because they have sucked in the past doesn't mean they have to continue to suck.
Sponsored