• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Ford Service - they can see everything

queuewho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat SR
Nah, Tesla Service tells you everything looks good on their end and then make you upload pictures to the app of the issue. After several hours they’ll get back to you and send you and estimate, whether you are under warranty or not. Then after about a week they schedule your mobile appointment.
I was gonna say, my experience with Tesla service was absolute trash, mostly. They did nothing with the info I provided the day of the error I got, and then by the time they had a service appointment a week later, they said the error was "too old" and they couldn't get any information about it anymore. I ended up having to take it back 5 months later to actually have the error fixed with a drive unit replacement once it happened again. Another time, I provided very specific info about a known issue with charger modules in the hopes that they would order the part by the time I brought it down, and they didn't, and ended up making me wait a full week for the exact part that I suggested that the car needed.

This Ford system seems like it stores it all, and with enough info to actually make a call as to what the issue is. Even without seeing Tesla's system I can assume that this is better by far.
Sponsored

brewski

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150L Platinum
Occupation
Yes
I was gonna say, my experience with Tesla service was absolute trash, mostly.

Another time, I provided very specific info about a known issue with charger modules in the hopes that they would order the part by the time I brought it down, and they didn't, and ended up making me wait a full week for the exact part that I suggested that the car needed.
Our Tesla MX experience in the early days was great. Call MX, mobile tech would should up in parking lot a few days later, fix car, leave.
Now, it is more like you mentioned.
After an update we had a strange buzzing noise.
Research showed many had it and would be fixed in next OTA.
Called dealer, who said bring it in and they'd look.
The dealer, kind of like your doctor, doesn't want to hear what you found on the internet.

Anyhoo, we never made the time take it in. The next OTA...fixed.

Reactions: GDN

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV
The problem is not all companies are alike, and as they say you can't have your cake and eat it too. IMHO, Tesla is more up-to-date and mature on the software side. Ford is learning, but they appear to have a long way to go.

From a OTA point a view, what can't be updated on the Lightning?

queuewho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat SR
The dealer, kind of like your doctor, doesn't want to hear what you found on the internet.
I agree with you on the medical advice. Cars are a lot less complex than the human body, and have error codes with specific causes.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
The problem is not all companies are alike, and as they say you can't have your cake and eat it too. IMHO, Tesla is more up-to-date and mature on the software side. Ford is learning, but they appear to have a long way to go.

From a OTA point a view, what can't be updated on the Lightning?
We know the phone charger can not be updated OTA, but can be via FDRS (and there is an update for it).

Apparently almost every other module can be updated, but the question is can Ford make it happen? They bricked 2021 ICE trucks doing updates. They finally got a fix out, but it took over 18 months. That is unheard of in Tesla's world.

Ford has tons of distributed modules running software, they each have to be updated via the gateway. Tesla runs most everything central across 3 computers and there is no more than sensors distributed through the car for the most part. The charge port is one known exception and the motors and BMS.

Sponsored

flypony53

First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, Rivian R1S
I took my truck in early Nov to have a couple of software issues to look at such as accessing the Onboard Scales and Smart Hitch from the app. They kept it for several days before even looking at it. Then came back with a "We dont know whats wrong" response, along with we can keep it longer until we figure it out. Nothing was resolved after 3 days. In my experience, Ford Service sees and understands nothing...

Compare this to Tesla, I have had several experiences with their service department over 3 cars and friends with Teslas. When you have an appointment, they look at the car very near the appointment. If they do not have the parts, they reach out to you and move your appointment until they are in stock. This at first seems a bit frustrating until you realize they turn it around quickly. In many cases, they still send a mobile tech to fix it. where they can.

My favorite Ford service experience was with a friend (now Tesla owner) who was contacted with a Recall notice over summer 2022, they politely setup a service appointment for the following week, no loaner or uber credits available. Told him at drop off at 7:30 am that they likely would not get to it until the next day as they had lots of appointments that day. They called him at the end of the day to pick up the car as they did not have the parts in stock for the recall. They still have not received the parts. But as many haters point out, Tesla has had the most recalls per vehicle of any auto manufacturer in 2022, all but a VERY small number are handled with OTA updates within days.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
After an update we had a strange buzzing noise.
Research showed many had it and would be fixed in next OTA.
This is why I would like the option to delay several updates to minimize risk. From the image posted earlier, it looks like the updates don't even need WiFi. Am I reading this right? Even if you don't pay for for AT&T service and not connected to your home WiFi, it still send info to mother ship? Is there any place in setting to tell the truck stop chatting with strangers?

Is there any place I could log into to see "MY" info that was sent out? I am trying to not sound like a freaked out old man but I think I am one. If location information is included, it takes a one unhappy employee or a good hacker to make a good plan on which trucks or parts to steel when and where. Transparency should be required. I know Ex Tesla owners are perfectly fine with this given they pay to be used as FSD testers but as someone that is coming from a dumb, disconnected vehicle, this is freaking me out.

OP
OP
F150ROD

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
I took my truck in early Nov to have a couple of software issues to look at such as accessing the Onboard Scales and Smart Hitch from the app. They kept it for several days before even looking at it. Then came back with a "We dont know whats wrong" response, along with we can keep it longer until we figure it out. Nothing was resolved after 3 days. In my experience, Ford Service sees and understands nothing...

Compare this to Tesla, I have had several experiences with their service department over 3 cars and friends with Teslas. When you have an appointment, they look at the car very near the appointment. If they do not have the parts, they reach out to you and move your appointment until they are in stock. This at first seems a bit frustrating until you realize they turn it around quickly. In many cases, they still send a mobile tech to fix it. where they can.

My favorite Ford service experience was with a friend (now Tesla owner) who was contacted with a Recall notice over summer 2022, they politely setup a service appointment for the following week, no loaner or uber credits available. Told him at drop off at 7:30 am that they likely would not get to it until the next day as they had lots of appointments that day. They called him at the end of the day to pick up the car as they did not have the parts in stock for the recall. They still have not received the parts. But as many haters point out, Tesla has had the most recalls per vehicle of any auto manufacturer in 2022, all but a VERY small number are handled with OTA updates within days.
Unlike Tesla, Ford makes money off those Oil changes which are priority. Your software update can wait until someone takes on the chore of plugging in your EV to quickly fix the problem 🤣. I am on Day 5 with my truck sitting in the same spot, tire pressure falling and I’m sure birds pooping all over it. Luckily @Ford Motor Company is on this.

• Haha

flypony53

First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, Rivian R1S
Unlike Tesla, Ford makes money off those Oil changes which are priority. Your software update can wait until someone takes on the chore of plugging in your EV to quickly fix the problem 🤣. I am on Day 5 with my truck sitting in the same spot, tire pressure falling and I’m sure birds pooping all over it. Luckily @Ford Motor Company is on this.
This is overall the issue with "service" in general. What is the use in making an appointment if the Dealer is not planning to look at it shortly after the drop off. Tesla gets knocked for service, but I have never had a problem with it for my cars. When the dealer has no cost to holding your car for as long as they want, they will take their time. If they had to reimburse you for a rental/loaner/Uber, they would address issues much more quickly.

Have to love the dealer model. No incentives to provide good service, I have found the surveys to get little attention.

Good luck, hope you get it back soon. :)

OP
OP
F150ROD

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
This is overall the issue with "service" in general. What is the use in making an appointment if the Dealer is not planning to look at it shortly after the drop off. Tesla gets knocked for service, but I have never had a problem with it for my cars. When the dealer has no cost to holding your car for as long as they want, they will take their time. If they had to reimburse you for a rental/loaner/Uber, they would address issues much more quickly.

Have to love the dealer model. No incentives to provide good service, I have found the surveys to get little attention.

Good luck, hope you get it back soon. :)
The crazy part is I had a loaner but returned it after how trashy it felt. It wasn’t from Ford, it was from Enterprise. Service doesn’t know I returned it. But you would figure they would want to get to the bottom of my issue as quickly as possible, or at least update me. But it it’s only day 5(3 not including the weekend) no biggie.

Sponsored

chillaban

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat
I was gonna say, my experience with Tesla service was absolute trash, mostly. They did nothing with the info I provided the day of the error I got, and then by the time they had a service appointment a week later, they said the error was "too old" and they couldn't get any information about it anymore. I ended up having to take it back 5 months later to actually have the error fixed with a drive unit replacement once it happened again. Another time, I provided very specific info about a known issue with charger modules in the hopes that they would order the part by the time I brought it down, and they didn't, and ended up making me wait a full week for the exact part that I suggested that the car needed.

This Ford system seems like it stores it all, and with enough info to actually make a call as to what the issue is. Even without seeing Tesla's system I can assume that this is better by far.
I had a Tesla service buddy who would show me their view and trust me, it’s far more advanced than this if they care to look. He even teased me about music I was listening to because there’s syslog entries showing what songs I starred dating almost a week back.

The problem is Tesla really tries to close your tickets as fast as they can, while paying out as little as they’re obliged to. It’s kind of like the modern Apple warranty experience.

Their service techs simply don’t feel any motivation to do detective work. If 50% of people go away when you just say “oh this is to spec” or “known firmware issue will be fixed soon”, that reduces your workload to just say that.

OP
OP
F150ROD

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
I had a Tesla service buddy who would show me their view and trust me, it’s far more advanced than this if they care to look. He even teased me about music I was listening to because there’s syslog entries showing what songs I starred dating almost a week back.

The problem is Tesla really tries to close your tickets as fast as they can, while paying out as little as they’re obliged to. It’s kind of like the modern Apple warranty experience.

Their service techs simply don’t feel any motivation to do detective work. If 50% of people go away when you just say “oh this is to spec” or “known firmware issue will be fixed soon”, that reduces your workload to just say that.
Yeah, Tesla can keep that “advanced” tech. It’s one of the reasons I moved on from them, I didn’t like the fact that they control the car and can disable what they want when they want.

I’ll take my chances with my Truck being pooped on while parked outside…

chillaban

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat
Yeah, Tesla can keep that “advanced” tech. It’s one of the reasons I moved on from them, I didn’t like the fact that they control the car and can disable what they want when they want.

I’ll take my chances with my Truck being pooped on while parked outside…
I suspect these cars are also a lot more computerized and remotely controlled than you expect — heck the default settings will apply power up updates without confirmation which is intriguing.

But in terms of malicious intent and service abuse I think there’s likely a lot of similarities, but that’s probably not the point we should be focus on. In terms of “hey last week I was backing onto my driveway and got a weird error message that went away”, I guarantee Ford and Tesla both have record of that. Whether they care to investigate is another matter.

OP
OP
F150ROD

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
I’m starting to think taking it to service was a mistake. My Ford Pass app now says my vehicle is in deep sleep mode, what does that mean? The 12v has fallen to 9.9. I called service to get a status update, so far crickets.

Great Vehicle but the legacy service is now creeping it’s ugly head ……..

• Sad

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
This is why I would like the option to delay several updates to minimize risk. From the image posted earlier, it looks like the updates don't even need WiFi. Am I reading this right? Even if you don't pay for for AT&T service and not connected to your home WiFi, it still send info to mother ship? Is there any place in setting to tell the truck stop chatting with strangers?

Is there any place I could log into to see "MY" info that was sent out? I am trying to not sound like a freaked out old man but I think I am one. If location information is included, it takes a one unhappy employee or a good hacker to make a good plan on which trucks or parts to steel when and where. Transparency should be required. I know Ex Tesla owners are perfectly fine with this given they pay to be used as FSD testers but as someone that is coming from a dumb, disconnected vehicle, this is freaking me out.
Updates mostly use cellular at this point.

Whether you pay for the AT&T hotspot or not is irrelevant to anything except your wallet.

You can turn off connectivity in the truck. You will lose features including connected navigation. Truck won't be updated. Then, when you turn it back on, the updates may, or may not be queued up for you.

No, you cannot see what the truck sends to Ford.

Yes, they know where your truck is at all times, you can easily see that in FordPass, right at the top of the screen.

YOU approved of the data usage when you a) bought the truck and b) enabled the connectivity. If you don't like it, you bought the wrong vehicle, but most modern vehicles are connected all the time.
Sponsored