• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

FordPass Trip Planner charging questions

256fail

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 311A XLT
Occupation
Pilot
First time road tripping my Lightning. I decided to try out the Fordpass trip planner. A bit clunky, but seems to work for the most part.

I keep coming into the same issue. On my route it keeps forcing me to use a slow charger location where there are 2 EA stations in the same proximity (within 15 miles). I click to select a new charger, it redoes the route, but keeps using the charge location that I don't want. Is this just a FordPass glitch? It's frustrating, but nothing too crazy. I can obviously override this in the actual truck and plug in the right location.

Thanks for any tips/advice.
Sponsored

gorwell

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5 / XLT Standard
I assume you mean the app.

App is useless for actual trip planning, unless yours doesn't expect a great charge curve...

Ford F-150 Lightning FordPass Trip Planner charging questions Screenshot_20230703-184850

10-98 in 36 minutes would be great. It's an average of 160kw , while the reality for that duration is probably 80.

@Ford Motor Company

This has been a problem since release. Why is ABRP better than your own tool.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
this 'trip planning' app has proved basically useless for my 26,000 miles so far, much of that towing our camper - I use google maps to define DC Fast Charging locations, and even the EA and Chargepoint apps themselves, as the Ford Pass planning app sometimes does not even have newer locations listed.
I really don't need the truck, or the app, trying to 'tell' me where to stop and charge - I find that I can do it much more efficiently and quickly myself.

ddbrooke

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Apparently Ford thinks it's great just like their Blue Oval Charging Network, which isn't anything. I was towing my trailer from Pittsburgh to Toledo, there are only two EA DC fast charging sites between the two cities. The app could not figure it out. They should fire their entire software development team.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Owner
yes, and unfortunately FORD is at the mercy of these 'third-party' CCS charging networks - this, hopefully, will all change for the POSITIVE once the adapter to NACS arrives, and Ford and others start building on the NACS Charging platform.

EA and CP and the others should be ashamed that they 'promote' EVs and the charging that they can provide them to 'travel', and yet don't maintain and keep up their own units, and their APPS do not report the status correctly, either.

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
yes, and unfortunately FORD is at the mercy of these 'third-party' CCS charging networks - this, hopefully, will all change for the POSITIVE once the adapter to NACS arrives, and Ford and others start building on the NACS Charging platform.

EA and CP and the others should be ashamed that they 'promote' EVs and the charging that they can provide them to 'travel', and yet don't maintain and keep up their own units, and their APPS do not report the status correctly, either.
ChargePoint doesn't own their chargers, the site owner does.

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
The sad thing is that those Chargepoint Express 250 62.5kWs seem to be about the most reliable charger there is. They won't make your nose bleed from speed, but they usually work when the it says they're AVAILABLE. Poor site maintenance/fixing vandalism is on the site operator. Unfortunately, this requires an operator who cares and has the resources to par for repairs.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Owner
I totally understand that, but they CONTRACT with Chargepoint to handle the maintenance - they obviously cannot themselves...

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
I totally understand that, but they CONTRACT with Chargepoint to handle the maintenance - they obviously cannot themselves...
That is factually incorrect. From their website:

ChargePoint monitors the health of the network. When we encounter a station that is not operating correctly or are alerted to a down station by a driver, we reach out to the owner (or their designee) in order to help facilitate the repair. The vast majority of ChargePoint manufactured stations are owned independently, and thus, any repair or maintenance of those stations will be carried out by the owner of a given charging station.

Here's a list of INDEPENDENT partners that ChargePoint lists on their website. https://chargepoint.ent.box.com/v/om-installers-list-NA

When a station breaks, the owners may, or may not, get it fixed. I complained to ChargePoint about a station 2 years ago. Their response was to a) refund my money since I paid for a much higher charging speed and the rate was per minute and b) promise to contact the owner of the station. I reported it late May 2021. A check-in on ChargePoint on 5/30/22 says "Station is still charging at less than 30kW (advertised as 50kW). It is reported fixed in June 2022, over a year after I complained. Recent check-ins on PlugShare show they are now charging by the kWh, and it's again slow... https://www.plugshare.com/location/193706

Blaming EA for their network issues is valid, because they own them and they contract for the 3rd party repairs.
Sponsored