• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Solar_EE

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning XLT Ioniq 6 AWD
Occupation
electrical engineer
UPDATE!!
Hey all. So I got my truck back from the Dealer yesterday, here’s the skinny…
Ford had An engineer came to the dealership with parts to get the Frunk going again. Both struts and the locking assembly were replace as well as a hood realignment. On initial inspection I was told that water intrusion in the components as well as a hood misalignment were the source of the failure. The engineer has taken all the effected parts back to the mothership for analysis and to expect a recall/update once a fix is found. I was also advised to avoid any pressurized water ( pressure washer/drive thru car washes) around the hood area until a fix can be sent out to all vehicles.

Additionally
I was advised that if the frunk gives the “4 beeps of failure” press the frunk closure button, once it starts beeping give gentle pressure on the hood and it should close and latch.

Thank you all again for your input to get me out of my pickle and thank you @fordmotorcompany for quickly handling my issue
Just had my First Frunk Failure (FFF)! My XLT SR was in the garage so not a water issue- just left the frunk open for two days as there is a really strong plastic odor in the frunk- tried to close it from the cab, keyfob, and the button- nothing would make it go down. So I then manually closed it and it now seems to work normally. So I would be skeptical on the "water intrusion" theory as my truck stays in the garage and I have not washed it or driven in the rain. Just took delivery Sept. 2nd and this is the first issue of any kind. Sort of disconcerting to press the Frunk close button and just hear some beeps. Thanks for sharing your experience and the "gently pressure on the hood to close and latch" the frunk- that worked for me.
Sponsored

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Lightning ER Lariat
Occupation
Fun-Employed
So I would be skeptical on the "water intrusion" theory as my truck stays in the garage and I have not washed it or driven in the rain. Just took delivery Sept. 2nd and this is the first issue of any kind. Sort of disconcerting to press the Frunk close button and just hear some beeps.
But you’re describing a different, known, procedure with the Frunk described in the manual/materials - if you leave it open long enough the truck basically forgets where it is, and requires a manual closing procedure to “reset” - I personally haven’t gone through this but it’s been discussed several times in other threads

In contrast, OP’s frunk failure was different in nature and symptoms.

Solar_EE

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
electrical engineer
But you’re describing a different, known, procedure with the Frunk described in the manual/materials - if you leave it open long enough the truck basically forgets where it is, and requires a manual closing procedure to “reset” - I personally haven’t gone through this but it’s been discussed several times in other threads

In contrast, OP’s frunk failure was different in nature and symptoms.
Thanks for letting me know- I saw this as the latest frunk failure thread. I'm not sure that the "forgetting the frunk location" is not also a failure- this is not rocket science to determine whether the frunk is open or closed!

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Lightning ER Lariat
Occupation
Fun-Employed
Thanks for letting me know- I saw this as the latest frunk failure thread. I'm not sure that the "forgetting the frunk location" is not also a failure- this is not rocket science to determine whether the frunk is open or closed!
Well, since it’s apparently described in the manuals, including how to reset, I categorize it no differently than your key fob not locking your truck if you’ve left the doors wide open.

Manually shut the doors, and the key fob will work again.

OP
OP
AZT9

AZT9

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Escalade, 2018 Tesla Model 3
Just had my First Frunk Failure (FFF)! My XLT SR was in the garage so not a water issue- just left the frunk open for two days as there is a really strong plastic odor in the frunk- tried to close it from the cab, keyfob, and the button- nothing would make it go down. So I then manually closed it and it now seems to work normally. So I would be skeptical on the "water intrusion" theory as my truck stays in the garage and I have not washed it or driven in the rain. Just took delivery Sept. 2nd and this is the first issue of any kind. Sort of disconcerting to press the Frunk close button and just hear some beeps. Thanks for sharing your experience and the "gently pressure on the hood to close and latch" the frunk- that worked for me.
Glad that my experience can help others! That’s what these awesome
Forums are for!

Sponsored

Solar_EE

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
electrical engineer
Well, since it’s apparently described in the manuals, including how to reset, I categorize it no differently than your key fob not locking your truck if you’ve left the doors wide open.

Manually shut the doors, and the key fob will work again.
I read on this forum that the frunk would not operate properly if it was touched while raising or lowering. On my hatchback car, I often leave the hatchback open for a long time, I've never had any time where the button or keyfob did not close it. This is nothing like trying to lock with your doors wide open- the frunk is a powered device that should always open or close when prompted by the keyfob or button inside the trunk. Determining the position of the frunk is not difficult electronically- no way the F150 should "forget" whether it's open or not. This is a flaw in the operating software and Ford should be able to fix it.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Lightning ER Lariat
Occupation
Fun-Employed
This is nothing like trying to lock with your doors wide open- the frunk is a powered device that should always open or close when prompted by the keyfob or button inside the trunk.
I mean, ok. You can take or leave the analogy’s strengths and weaknesses however you want.

But all I was intending, seems pretty simple: if a manufacturer says “this blender does not also chop,” it is not a ‘malfunction’ that it does not chop. One might instead want a blender that chops, but that’s a separate matter.

And in any event it seems to me your analogy possibly passes over too casually a core engineering difference, possibly resulting in many functional differences:

On my hatchback car, I often leave the hatchback open for a long time, I've never had any time where the button or keyfob did not close it.
The difference from an engineering and safety perspective might be: How often do you drive your hatchback backwards at 75mph for hours on end?

I don’t recall if you have your truck yet, but if so you’ll be familiar with the unusual sounds made by the frunk securing or releasing - it’s as though the drunk may have double or triple redundancy in its closing mechanisms.

Given that, as well as the use case differences, I simply find it possible your hatchbacks closing behaviors is possibly irrelevant from an engineering perspective?

Happy to have Ford make it chop, too, though!

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Lightning ER Lariat
Occupation
Fun-Employed
I read on this forum that the frunk would not operate properly if it was touched while raising or lowering.
PS: this, I think, is a separate matter - my assumption is that the frunk’s securing mechanism is so robust (to keep it from opening at speed), that it takes zero chances of any fingers or other getting crushed.

The funk is very sensitive to things before the first latch catches; but if that first latch catches, the second latching means serious business

Solar_EE

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
electrical engineer
I mean, ok. You can take or leave the analogy’s strengths and weaknesses however you want.

But all I was intending, seems pretty simple: if a manufacturer says “this blender does not also chop,” it is not a ‘malfunction’ that it does not chop. One might instead want a blender that chops, but that’s a separate matter.

And in any event it seems to me your analogy possibly passes over too casually a core engineering difference, possibly resulting in many functional differences:

The difference from an engineering and safety perspective might be: How often do you drive your hatchback backwards at 75mph for hours on end?

I don’t recall if you have your truck yet, but if so you’ll be familiar with the unusual sounds made by the frunk securing or releasing - it’s as though the drunk may have double or triple redundancy in its closing mechanisms.

Given that, as well as the use case differences, I simply find it possible your hatchbacks closing behaviors is possibly irrelevant from an engineering perspective?

Happy to have Ford make it chop, too, though!
Hey, I just want my frunk to open and close properly each time I press the keyfob. Really that is not too much to ask. Just had the truck for 11 days and already the frunk not following my keyfob or button inside the cab commands is not proper. kind of a funny typo: "it’s as though the drunk may have double or triple redundancy in its closing mechanisms. " So a "drunk frunk". No reason the frunk can't work as smoothly as the hatchback on my Ioniq 5. Just the fact that there are multiple users reporting frunk open and close failures shows that there are issues Ford should be able to work out. Sensing the position of the frunk is not difficult- I design systems that sense locations much more precisely than a giant frunk lid. And farther up and the thread there are issues with water intrusion- obviously a problem. I hope that Ford will pay attention to these forums and work out fixes for these issues.

Regular150

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 F150 Platinum, 18 Mustang GT PP2, 14 QX80
Occupation
Purchasing
It has to do with not draining the battery, 12v. The constant communication with the frunk release is halted after a period of time. Truck will power down and wait for restart or accy. No different than if I leave the door open on my vehicle, the lights will power down and await manual close or startup. It also assures after a prolonged period of time the operator has to be engaged enough, not from the fob, to ensure nobody layed down in there and it gets closed.

Sponsored

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Lightning ER Lariat
Occupation
Fun-Employed
Just the fact that there are multiple users reporting frunk open and close failures shows that there are issues Ford should be able to work out.
Again, that’s where to me it seems your wires are crossed.

The water intrusion issue is completely different, for obvious reasons. It is obviously a failure.

The frunk needing to be manually shut first if left open too long, is performing exactly as designed to perform - per the manuals.

Since Ford’s engineers designed it to work this way, it’s clear your initial conclusion is that all of Ford’s engineers are stupid.

Personally, I see possible reasons why this design feature may have been prudent, even if it annoys your sensibilities.

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
I have not had a Frunk failure. However, I have had that funky plastic smell since day 1.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
I have not had a Frunk failure. However, I have had that funky plastic smell since day 1.
Leave some activated charcoal in it for a week or so, should clear that up.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
I got my struts replaced today. Moisture in the connectors 🤦🏻‍♂️
Permanent fix? Or just replaced with the same parts and possibly will fail again?
Sponsored