• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Getting cold feet

neririn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 MachE
Well, for my $100 fill up I’m getting 700 miles to the tank. I fill up a about once every 6 weeks. You are correct though, home charging for the same mileage will be about half of the cost. Less MX cost is a big player that many fail to mention.
Wow! I'm impressed. Where on this globally warming planet are you still getting gas that cheap? You have a back yard refinery or something? Rough math at what my Eco ICE did on its best mileage ever 18MPG (usual driving got me closer to 16.5 average) puts you at ~$2.57 per gallon. In my state we pay nearly half that much per gallon in federal, state and local taxes alone!

That said, gas tax is surely coming to an EV owner near you. States and counties are losing millions in tax revenue with people driving less due to the price of gasoline and EV's. The free ride for EV owners is not going to last, nor should it. I use the roads, I should help pay for them. That said, it sure would be nice if they ensured the revenue actually went to ROADS though. But we all know it doesn't now, and it never will.
Sponsored

Ventorum94

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chev Avalanche, BMW 550i, Tesla MY, Tesla M3
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I have had my Lariat ER since July. It is amazing. I’ll never go back to gas. I would not recommend the SR. Resale will be nothing. Realize highway driving is ~80% of rated range and you only use ~70% of that due to charging 10-80% at DC chargers. My opinion based on 6 months of ownership is any EV rated less than 300 miles will have zero resale once the next gen comes out based in the range reductions mention above in the real world. Not even factoring cold weather impacts (another ~30% reduction on top of the above reductions).
All that said if you truly have another road trip vehicle I would consider the purchase if you’re interested in going electric in the next 3 years. Prices will keep climbing while the factories are built out. 2026 models will start to see comparable prices to gas.
Longer range only matters on the way to the first charging stop. Would you really want to wait long enough to recharge a 400mi battery pack? Experience with Tesla has taught me that the most pleasurable road-tripping comes from a 20min charging stop every 100-150mi. I discovered early-on that my 250mi-range vehicle has more range than my 150mi bladder anyway. What really counts is the availability of DC fastchargers. While early investors plowed money into Tesla stock, Tesla invested in an unequalled network of fast dc chargers, making their product not simply “cars,” but practical transcontinental transportation. Ford, et al, are a decade behind.

lightspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Longer range only matters on the way to the first charging stop. Would you really want to wait long enough to recharge a 400mi battery pack? Experience with Tesla has taught me that the most pleasurable road-tripping comes from a 20min charging stop every 100-150mi. I discovered early-on that my 250mi-range vehicle has more range than my 150mi bladder anyway. What really counts is the availability of DC fastchargers. While early investors plowed money into Tesla stock, Tesla invested in an unequalled network of fast dc chargers, making their product not simply “cars,” but practical transcontinental transportation. Ford, et al, are a decade behind.
That's all fair and if it works for you then great.

I would prefer a 300 mile-ish range when doing 80mph in cold weather with the heat cranked and some mountain climbs so I can drive 3 hours straight with a 20-30 minute break to replace the 240 mile range used. If the Lightning were 300 miles under those conditions I'd say very few people would need more to appease range anxiety and towing also becomes more reasonable.

Cybertruck is going to use the new v4 megawatt superchargers. I'm sure it won't charge at 1000kW but even if it reaches 500kW into a 200kWh battery with a reasonable charge curve from 10% to 90%, it could be around 20 minutes to add 400 miles of range. All EVs will get here eventually.

Having said that, the current Lightning (I have a Lariat ER) is very good and much better than the equivalent ICE truck in my opinion, in all things except range, which limits it to an early-adopter type product as most people are not going to want to have to worry so much. That's ok I guess, all EVs are still mostly for the early adopter types, but in 10 years it will be a different story.

Last edited:

LUXMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning PRO and XLT
Occupation
Pilot
Long story short, day 1 reservation holder and my Lightning XLT SR is being produced this coming week. I'm conflicted on whether to go ahead and purchase the vehicle. I currently drive a custom ordered 22 502A Lariat Powerboost with Blue cruise that I ordered last year when it looked like I wasn't going to get a Lightning any time soon (ha).

My current case use is mainly suburban driving. I pick up the kids, lots of errand hauling and we put the bed to use constantly. We do not tow. This would lend it self greatly towards the Lightning as I can charge in my garage no problem. I already have a 14-50 hookup installed when we built the house and a Emporia charger on the way purchased last week in case I end up getting the Lightning.

We do not plan to roadtrip, but once or twice a year I have to drive to work (Atlanta Hartsfield) and that trip is 193 miles one way. Halfway between is an EA fast charger site at a Walmart with 8 charging stations. There is another one about 30 miles further down the road into GA that has 4 stalls. I've been very apprehensive about it after reading all the EA charging issues. It would absolutely have to work for me or I'd be in trouble on that trip due to always having to make work by a certain time to sign in.

The cons agains the Lightning is that my powerboost has been flawless. It has more features being a 502A..granted they are niceties that aren't necessarily needed, but nice... heated/cooled leather seats, pano roof, blue cruise etc. I'm also able to road trip no issue in the powerboost and if we ever need to tow there would be zero issue. Fuel mpg is very good in town around 26-27 and combined with highway around 24. Not too bad for a full size truck.

Finally due to being able to order at a perfect time early this year, my 502A was well below invoice and I paid nearly the same as this XLT SR is going to cost (before potential tax credit which I may not qualify for in 23'.

I'm sure opinions are all over the place and its biased being an Lightning forum, but any good thoughts I'm missing? I go on the powerboost forums and they are of course tilted towards the hybrid being the best of both worlds currently.

Will I regret going EV? I drove our dealer's pro and it was a great ride, but I only drove it for 30 minutes about 4 months ago. I've wanted the Lightning for so long, but now that the time has come and my Powerboost has been so nice I'm just really torn. I'm still leaning towards getting the Lightning, but wanted some encouragement.

Thanks!
So we picked up my wife's new XLT on Friday. Some Road Trip thoughts in there

https://www.f150lightningforum.com/forum/threads/her-new-xlt-sr.13409/

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
no heated seats is something I didn't think I'd miss as much as I do.
My 23 Pro has heated seat included so he should be getting that

I’ve thought about this , but I’m not looking to pay those prices for an ER lariat. It’s a nice truck, I can afford it. It’s just getting a bit crazy at that point. 95% of my driving is in town less than 40 miles a day. I find it interesting everyone is so negative on the standard range?
YOu got the numbers from everyone here. You should do your own math. Pro should be fine for me. I do my long drives in warm weather (140 mile with charging at the other end, half of it is country roads). My daily trips are between 2 to 30 miles round trip. and we have an ICE with 600 mile range for serious traveling that will probably be in operation for another 10 years. SR will be fine for me.
Sponsored