• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

GM Delays Some EV Truck Production Until Late 2025

DreamBrother1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Ascent, Honda Civic, Kawasaki Vulcan
Doesn’t seem crazy. It 100% Is crazy. ICE crew cab trucks are not even $40k, a comparably priced ICE F150 to a lightning are very close in price.
A brand new F150 Supercrew starts at $40,780 right now
Sponsored

OP
OP
luebri

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' F150 Lightning (Lariat ER), 22' Pathfinder SL
Sounds like you know what you need to go buy… enjoy. I’m not gonna be the one that tells ford they need to eat more money on every vehicle they sell, I’m sure it’s got to be stomach churning for the stockholders and executives already how much money they’re pissing into this initiative.

DreamBrother1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Ascent, Honda Civic, Kawasaki Vulcan
Sounds like you know what you need to go buy… enjoy. I’m not gonna be the one that tells ford they need to eat more money on every vehicle they sell, I’m sure it’s got to be stomach churning for the stockholders and executives already how much money they’re pissing into this initiative.
$40k is what Ford said when they unveiled the Lightning. I think that's what most of the hundreds of thousands of reservations were for, and a reasonable price goal down the road (in 2023 dollars) for the absolute lowest base/entry point. Many of those initial reservations never converted to orders because the $40k Lightning didn't really exist. I don't think Ford is pissing away money into EVs. It's short sighted to think ICE F150s can keep Ford alive and king of the mountain forever. Assume most (if not all) non-commercial vehicles are eventually battery powered. Not next year, not in 5-10 years, but eventually. There are growing pains for sure right now for Ford as they scale and bring down the cost per unit. But if I was a shareholder my timeline would be decades, and I wouldn't want to be part of the last manufacturer to transition if everything else on the road is an EV.

Bills R Electric

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat
Kind of related here but Ford, GM, and others have been hinting at decreased EV demand for a while. I'm sure there are many contributing factors but the main driver of orders appears straight forward to me -- cost! Media outlets constantly try to push the narrative that EVs are essentially a fad. That EVs wont sell because they are inferior vehicles that will all catch on fire. To anyone paying attention this is just incorrect. People really like EVs, but they still aren't very accessible, especially in larger form factors. I'm incredibly excited about my F150 lightning, but the entry point is still so high for them to expect massive sales numbers. The cheapest real and available EV truck in the US starts at $50k. Plus tax, plus registration, plus variable home charger installation costs, plus any add ons like 9.6kwh pro power, tow tech/max tow, bed liner, tonneau cover, running boards, etc. Which many (not all) truck owners may want. On top of this are terrible interest rates. Sales will increase with lower cost of entry for the customer. I'm not an automotive executive but to me the goal is under $40k. Saying that seems crazy because that's a pretty low number in 2023. This takes a lot of investment from the manufacturer to reduce the cost per vehicle at larger scale, and other factors to fall in line like cost and availability of materials. 'Production hell' as the billionaire cybertruck boy called it. Just bugging me because I've been seeing more articles recently after ford announced cutting their 3rd shift at Rogue that just don't get it.
It is price, mostly.

I have the Lariat Lightning, love it, but did not like the price - at all.

IMO, even this won't help me, Ford should CUT the price of the Lightning - again. At least another $5K. Yes, this means Ford will lose another $5,000 per sale, but that is part of ramping. Ford just has to bare the pain and get more units out the door and build their customer base. Plus work feverishly on the design of their Gen2 EV pickup. Reducing costs of construction.

Building fewer Lightnings right now will "save" them money in the short term, but EVs are a long game.

OP
OP
luebri

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' F150 Lightning (Lariat ER), 22' Pathfinder SL
I believe the “the prices must come down” crew is mostly rationalizing (a strong human drive no doubt) What they want to happen vs what Ford should do. I wish that crew the best, I really do! I want more people to enjoy this great truck. However my business acumen tells me they are naive to the real challenges of continued inflation and the real challenges of being beholden to quarterly stock market reports and losing $20k+ on every EV does to those reports.

I feel like I must note, the UAW is certainly not helping Any of the Detroit 3 be able to invest their what were ICE profits into future EV sales… and I don’t blame UAW members for that, even if I don’t like them. It’s certainly not going to help prices come down!!!

Sponsored

Ventorum94

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chev Avalanche, BMW 550i, Tesla MY, Tesla M3
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
$40k is what Ford said when they unveiled the Lightning. I think that's what most of the hundreds of thousands of reservations were for, and a reasonable price goal down the road (in 2023 dollars) for the absolute lowest base/entry point. Many of those initial reservations never converted to orders because the $40k Lightning didn't really exist. I don't think Ford is pissing away money into EVs. It's short sighted to think ICE F150s can keep Ford alive and king of the mountain forever. Assume most (if not all) non-commercial vehicles are eventually battery powered. Not next year, not in 5-10 years, but eventually. There are growing pains for sure right now for Ford as they scale and bring down the cost per unit. But if I was a shareholder my timeline would be decades, and I wouldn't want to be part of the last manufacturer to transition if everything else on the road is an EV.
$40k?? I think that most May ‘21 reservationists were expecting an EV truck that started at $32,500 (including EV tax credit at the time). It was a no-brainer, cheaper than ICE XL, and the expectation was to buy a nicely equipped version, or an ER, for maybe $10k over that: $42,500 more or less, after federal tax credit. What did we get? Zilch availability of Pro, scant availability of $70k XLT, $80k+ Lariats and $98k Platinums. Then 2023 came along, auto finance rates nearly doubled, and the previously-feasible $50k auto loan became an impossible dream. The party was over. Demand is still there, strong as it ever was, but without the enabling low interest rates to grease the deals, buyers stay home.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Wait so they’re not going to flood the market with WT4 work trucks?
Well - I guess it depends on your point of comparison. If you look at WT4 (and WT3 I guess) numbers, they will likely be a "flood" as compared to Hummer EV numbers! ~20/month is 1000% more than ~2/month! :ROFLMAO:

3rdgenfan

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 XLT SR, G8 GXP, TDI Rabbit
$40k?? I think that most May ‘21 reservationists were expecting an EV truck that started at $32,500 (including EV tax credit at the time). It was a no-brainer, cheaper than ICE XL, and the expectation was to buy a nicely equipped version, or an ER, for maybe $10k over that: $42,500 more or less, after federal tax credit. What did we get? Zilch availability of Pro, scant availability of $70k XLT, $80k+ Lariats and $98k Platinums. Then 2023 came along, auto finance rates nearly doubled, and the previously-feasible $50k auto loan became an impossible dream. The party was over. Demand is still there, strong as it ever was, but without the enabling low interest rates to grease the deals, buyers stay home.

I was one of them. Eventually talked myself into going the XLT route after seeing the PRO was otherwise completely unavailable.

...only to then be sent the request to convert to an order after the first $7k price increase.

jdmackes

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Pro
I was one of them. Eventually talked myself into going the XLT route after seeing the PRO was otherwise completely unavailable.

...only to then be sent the request to convert to an order after the first $7k price increase.
I got a pro for $40k too, there are dozens of us!

Kev12345

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500
Lightning is an amazing truck. The value just isn’t there yet. Once the extended range batteries are priced like the current standard range models it’ll sell like mad.

Sponsored

davehu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lighting Lariat ER, Iconic Silver
Occupation
retired
I absolutely love my Lariat and am telling everyone who listens, and many who don't want to. Ford is ahead of the game and putting all their chips with an EV version of their most popular vehicle. cudo's to them. Am so lucky to have one.

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
40k?? I think that most May ‘21 reservationists were expecting an EV truck that started at $32,500 (including EV tax credit at the time). It was a no-brainer, cheaper than ICE XL,
Only a rube would think that.

The lowest price they quoted was for an Sr pro, which isn't that far off if you adjust for inflation but unavailable to purchase.

As we sit today my lightning price would be just under 15k CAD$ more than a similar 3.5l eco boost lariat, except the eco boost has no frunk and no propower 9.6kw.

That's why I bought the lightning, it's a damn good deal and is absolutely my most fave truck I've ever driven.

I repeat, the lightning Lariat costs $14,780 CANADIAN DOLLARS more than a similar Lariat 3.5l eco boost.

ICE truck: $89,735

Lightning: $104,515

We have no rebates for msrp over 75k$, but whatever, in for a penny, in for a pound. Even if there was a rebate at 100k I still wouldn't care, rebates aren't part of the msrp, aren't from ford and can't be relied upon to sell vehicles. It's a government incentive and if that's what makes or breaks your deal then it's not a good idea to buy something that expensive.

Buy a dodge ram if you want cheap truck.

Newton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW e-Golf, Lariat SR, Kia EV6, Toyota T-100
Where? A F-150 SuperCrew XL at Kendall Ford is $50,200, and that is not even comparable to a Pro Trim.

In these debates I always see “oh there are Lightnings just piling up on dealer lots, they can’t give them away” or “so much more expensive than this gas truck” but nobody ever bothers to give me a link. It was very frustrating when I was looking for my Lariat, online people were sure I could waltz in and trade my gas one in for evens, it certainly didn’t work out that way. I still have dealers who promised that I could see (not buy) an XLT when they arrived texting me that one might be coming “next month.”
Sponsored