• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Help for walk away phone FOB locking

Hunter

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
I'm using my phone as a FOB so I don't have to use the "key". My truck unlocks automatically when I come up, but I can't figure out how to get it to automatically lock when I walk away from my truck. I can't find instructions in the online manual. And I even tried watching videos. They show going to to "Settings", then "Vehicle", then a place to set it under "Locks." But for whatever reason, my screen doesn't have that option under "Locks."
Sponsored

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
Tesla has set the bar high and many of us are waiting on it, but it just doesn't exist yet. We hope soon.

OP
OP

Hunter

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Tesla has set the bar high and many of us are waiting on it, but it just doesn't exist yet. We hope soon.
Thanks, wanted to make sure I wasn't going crazy. It seems to already work on the Mach E Mustang. Not sure why it doesn't for the Lightning. Or at the very least I wish they would make the app have a widget so it's easier to access on my phone.

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
Or at the very least I wish they would make the app have a widget so it's easier to access on my phone.
I created one for the iPhone using Alexa. Customizable for location, delay, etc. See here.

F150_lightning

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Lightning Lariat ER
I'm using my phone as a FOB so I don't have to use the "key". My truck unlocks automatically when I come up, but I can't figure out how to get it to automatically lock when I walk away from my truck. I can't find instructions in the online manual. And I even tried watching videos. They show going to to "Settings", then "Vehicle", then a place to set it under "Locks." But for whatever reason, my screen doesn't have that option under "Locks."
Whoa.. how do you get it to unlock when you approach? I don’t see that in the settings. I would love to have that. Right now I have to stick my hand on the door handle.

Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Whoa.. how do you get it to unlock when you approach? I don’t see that in the settings. I would love to have that. Right now I have to stick my hand on the door handle.
Yes, with walk up unlock, it doesn't truly unlock until you attempt to open a door.

bellyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE & 2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
As the owner of a Mach-E and a Lightning, this is my biggest pet peeve with theLightning. I love this truck so much more than my Mach-E, but the fact that I'm constantly forgetting to lock the doors because I'm just used to walking away from the Mach-E and having the doors lock drives me batty.

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
As the owner of a Mach-E and a Lightning, this is my biggest pet peeve with theLightning. I love this truck so much more than my Mach-E, but the fact that I'm constantly forgetting to lock the doors because I'm just used to walking away from the Mach-E and having the doors lock drives me batty.
Agree. My son has a MachE and I like that feature. That’s why I developed the work around. Works flawlessly and has more features 😀.

Reactions: GDN

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
I was in this same boat coming from a Model 3. I make no excuses for Ford not having it implemented on the Lightning, but I will say they do give us 3 easy ways to lock as we exit. Hit the button on the armrest in the door. Touch the button on the door handle after you close the door, or press the two buttons on the bottom of the keypad after you close the door.

A bit of funny about that button on the door handle. When I do choose to use that button to lock the truck, it usually takes me 2 or 3 times for it to recognize I'm touching it and finally lock. However, at home, my garage is very tight. I get out and close the drivers door and as I'm trying to slide by the truck, my arm brushes the handle of the rear door and the dang truck locks almost every time. That is with a shirt sleeve or a jacket even. Much more reliable when I don't intend to lock than when I do.

bellyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE & 2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
I was in this same boat coming from a Model 3. I make no excuses for Ford not having it implemented on the Lightning, but I will say they do give us 3 easy ways to lock as we exit. Hit the button on the armrest in the door. Touch the button on the door handle after you close the door, or press the two buttons on the bottom of the keypad after you close the door.

A bit of funny about that button on the door handle. When I do choose to use that button to lock the truck, it usually takes me 2 or 3 times for it to recognize I'm touching it and finally lock. However, at home, my garage is very tight. I get out and close the drivers door and as I'm trying to slide by the truck, my arm brushes the handle of the rear door and the dang truck locks almost every time. That is with a shirt sleeve or a jacket even. Much more reliable when I don't intend to lock than when I do.
Yup, I absolutely agree that there are those three easy ways to lock the door. It is just something I have to consciously remind myself to do. I generally leverage pressing the two bottom number keys, as it seems to be more reliable than the touch button on the handle. When my daily driver is the Mach-E and I only drive the truck 2-3 times a weeks, the muscle memory coming from the Mach-E with walk-away lock is what tends to stick, but it is getting easier to remember to lock the truck. My wife, on the other hand, rarely drives the truck, so when she does, the doors are always left unlocked by her.
Sponsored