• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

LightningCanuckNB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
I have remarked on here previously how annoying I found it that the Lightning does not have walk-away lock, so I set about making it work myself. I have had this setup working for about a week now, and it is pretty flawless.

Requirements

- An Android phone set up for PAAK - I am 99% sure this is impossible with iPhone. The phone does not need to be rooted.
- Tasker (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.dinglisch.android.taskerm&hl=en_CA&gl=US)
- You also need the app 'Termux' and 'termux-tasker' (https://github.com/termux/termux-tasker) - I recommend installing the F-Droid store (https://f-droid.org/en/) for both of those, as F-Droid is now where all the new releases of Termux are.

This post is not going to be a tutorial on how to use the above apps! Plenty of those online already.

Tasker has a State Change event for "BT Near", and it is simple to use the F150 BTLE passive lock bluetooth module for this state change. The next trick though was to figure out how I would get Tasker to unlock the doors - this is where Termux comes in.

I found this node project that is still maintained, that exports the FordPass API (https://github.com/d4v3y0rk/ffpass).

Install that inside Termux ('pip install ffpass')

Then, I made this small script

JavaScript:
const fordApi = require('ffpass')
const car = new fordApi.vehicle("<EMAIL HERE>", "<PASSWORD HERE>", "<VIN HERE>")

async function main() {
    await car.auth()
    var vehicleData = await car.issueCommand("lock")
    console.log(JSON.stringify(vehicleData))
}

main()
I suggest writing this script on your PC, testing it, and then pushing it to the phone.

Now in Tasker, all you need to do is create a task for State 'BT Near' the car, then add an exit task to call this script.

If you find it behaving too sensitively (this happened to me at home), you can add some additional variable checks so that the script will only be called once per exit task, then reset the variable next time 'Sync' Bluetooth is actually connected.

That is pretty much it - now the car locks itself when I walk away from it, and when I walk back, it unlocks when I touch the handle. A change I plan to make in the future is to have this NodeJS process run in the background (with a persistent, auth'ed session) and call 'lock' via a local call - this will cut down on authentications to the Ford API, because I do not want my account to get blocked.

If you have questions I will try to answer.
Sponsored

Last edited:

queuewho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat SR
This is great. I have basically the exact same tasker automation set up already to enable and disable my phone tethering (essentially making my truck have car wifi for passengers with ipads etc). If this low amount of api calls doesn't get you flagged by ford, I might add this on as well. Please let us know if your Fordpass account gets locked out or not :)

OP
OP

LightningCanuckNB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
This is great. I have basically the exact same tasker automation set up already to enable and disable my phone tethering (essentially making my truck have car wifi for passengers with ipads etc). If this low amount of api calls doesn't get you flagged by ford, I might add this on as well. Please let us know if your Fordpass account gets locked out or not :)
I've had it going for a week without an issue so far.

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer

Sponsored

Adventureboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
I would suggest everyone reading this post, use the new feature to leave feedback for Ford to fix this in their software deployment. We need a ton of us all saying the same thing. Activate the walk-away lock feature on our trucks. While I'm a hacker at heart, this really should be fixed by Ford and we need to raise it on their priority list. Let's see if they are listening.

OP
OP

LightningCanuckNB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
I would suggest everyone reading this post, use the new feature to leave feedback for Ford to fix this in their software deployment. We need a ton of us all saying the same thing. Activate the walk-away lock feature on our trucks. While I'm a hacker at heart, this really should be fixed by Ford and we need to raise it on their priority list. Let's see if they are listening.
Where is that feature?

MichaelCA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning Lariat ER, 22 Model 3 LR, 16 Stang GT
Followed the instructions in the Reddit post and made a iOS automations: once CarPlay disconnects, wait 7 seconds and lock the doors. You will need to run “lock my car” shortcut once for it to gain permission to run by itself.

Ford F-150 Lightning HOW-TO DIY:  Add Walk-Away Lock to F150 Lightning using Tasker & Android IMG_2261

Ford F-150 Lightning HOW-TO DIY:  Add Walk-Away Lock to F150 Lightning using Tasker & Android IMG_2262

Sponsored

Replika

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MR. PLOW - ER Lariat
Very cool. Even as a former Tesla owner I really don’t miss this feature in other cars though. How reliable has it been?

jdmackes

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Pro
Requirements

- An Android phone set up for PAAK - I am 99% sure this is impossible with iPhone. The phone does not need to be rooted.
Does this actually require PAAK, or does this use the fordpass app to do a remote lock? I have a Pro so I don't have the option for PAAK

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
Followed the instructions in the Reddit post and made a iOS automations: once CarPlay disconnects, wait 7 seconds and lock the doors. You will need to run “lock my car” shortcut once for it to gain permission to run by itself.

IMG_2261.png

IMG_2262.png
What's in the "lock my car" shortcut?