• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Walk-away Lock: iPhone work around for the Lightning

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
The Lightning does not have the walk-away lock like the Mach-E. Hopefully it will be enabled in a future Sync update. In the meantime this is how I do it. NOTE: this is not for the faint of heart or home automation newbie. Also this only works on the iPhone. Sorry Android folks.

It requires that you have Alexa and that you have CarPlay enabled. You'll need to install Alexa and IFTTT apps on your phone. The basic process is that when you turn off your truck, CarPlay disconnects and this triggers a Siri Shortcut Automation. The automation calls an IFTTT applet that presses a virtual button (a "monkey") connected to Alexa. Alexa responds by sending the "lock truck" command to your truck. It all happens very fast, typically within 10 seconds once you turn off your truck and open the door.

See the attached PDF I wrote for step-by-step instructions. PLEASE do not attempt if all the lingo I just used is over your head!

Why did I do this? My old truck had a key and a fob so it became habit when getting out of the truck to take the key out of the ignition, press the lock button on the fob and put the fob in my pocket. With the Lightning and PAAK, I don't carry a fob and if I did it would be in my pocket the whole time. I've tried to remember to press the lock button in the truck or on the handle but I'm officially old and thus forgetful.
Sponsored

Attachments

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I got in the habit in my old trucks of just pressing the lock button on the door, so that is still working fine for me.

It is worth noting that on the Mach-e pressing the lock button the door won't actually lock the car with the door open, so both vehicles have their issues.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
Wow, I like it - very detailed!

Nice to finally have a use for Alexa which I never thought I would use since day 1.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
We turned walk away lock off the first night we had it. Very annoying that it can't be location based like charging.

Sponsored
OP
OP
bmwhitetx

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired engineer
We turned walk away lock off the first night we had it. Very annoying that it can't be location based like charging.
I am testing a modification to my script that will use location to not lock the car when I’m home. Could be expanded to other known locations.

queuewho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat SR
Also this only works on the iPhone. Sorry Android folks.
Alexa app with fordpass skill, Tasker and autovoice can probably do this too. I'll try later and see. I tried Alexa on my phone, it locks the truck without asking for the pin. So autovoice should work from Tasker. Just gotta get the trigger set up, on disconnect from the truck's Bluetooth would probably work.

OP
OP
bmwhitetx

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired engineer
Alexa app with fordpass skill, Tasker and autovoice can probably do this too. I'll try later and see. I tried Alexa on my phone, it locks the truck without asking for the pin. So autovoice should work from Tasker. Just gotta get the trigger set up, on disconnect from the truck's Bluetooth would probably work.
According to the skills page, you are asked for the PIN to unlock the truck or do a remote start. Other functions like lock the lock, tell me the mileage, etc, do not require a PIN.

With commands that require a PIN you can put that in your command phrase, for example, "Alexa, ask Ford pass to unlock my car with PIN 1234". Or you can leave out the pin phrase and Alexa will ask for the PIN.

OP
OP
bmwhitetx

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired engineer
Here is a modification to the iOS script that locks only when away from home. Right now I have the tolerance set for 0.75 miles but I have the shortcut tell me the actual distance. So far it looks like I can reduce the tolerance down to .1 mile

Ford F-150 Lightning Walk-away Lock: iPhone work around for the Lightning lock script (Phone)

Sponsored

ctuan13

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1979 Continental, 2022 F150 Lightning, 03 Marauder
I mean I've owned a Town Car in the past and own a 2003 Marauder now so I'm very used to just pressing the 7/8 and 9/0 buttons simultaneously to lock the car before walking away. Obviously you can use the lock button on the door handle or even on your keyfob. I personally don't like the cyber security issues with connected vehicle features so I don't use the Ford Pass app or PAAK.

hiimisaac

First Name
Isaac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat (510A)
Occupation
Software Engineer
I set this up and it works really well. In fact, so well I have to race to open the back door to get my son out of his seat or risk having to manually lock myself lol.

Toby57

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F-150 XL 101A
Occupation
retired
I mean I've owned a Town Car in the past and own a 2003 Marauder now so I'm very used to just pressing the 7/8 and 9/0 buttons simultaneously to lock the car before walking away. Obviously you can use the lock button on the door handle or even on your keyfob. I personally don't like the cyber security issues with connected vehicle features so I don't use the Ford Pass app or PAAK.
Wise. IMO Apps can change at any time.
I do think that within six months to a year there will be threads on these boards with complaints of subscription costs of Ford Pass and PAAK, and all those apps for charging.
Is it really that inconvenient to touch that button on the door handle?

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
Is it really that inconvenient to touch that button on the door handle?
What is the secret to that even working? Much of the time it just clicks like it is unlocking over and over and over.

Toby57

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F-150 XL 101A
Occupation
retired
What is the secret to that even working? Much of the time it just clicks like it is unlocking over and over and over.
Works every time on my ICE and the wife's ICE. Never failed.
Sounds fixable on your Lighting.
Sponsored