• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

How long do you plan on keeping your Lightning?

How many years?

• <= 2 years

• 3 - 6 years

• 6 - 9 years

• 10 - 12 years

• Never getting rid of it....

Results are only viewable after voting.

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla Model X, F250 SD diesel 6.0
I figure 6-8 years. That's where I've been historically. Things got really shortened for me with Tesla, as I traded the 2012 for something with auto-pilot, then someone totaled my car for me. But historically I've been 6-8 years.

I have a 15-year-old F-250, a 6-year old Tesla Model X (160,000 miles), my oldest son has a 14 year old Pontiac, and my second-oldest has a 13-year-old Pontiac. Anyone want a diesel F-250, short cab, long box? Give me a ring. :)
Sponsored

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Ford moving to Android is like then switching from a Pioneer Deck to Alpine. It’s not going to affect the ability of the truck to be updated. That being said, it’s depends on how future models change. Did we get the best version with future models being watered down to save on cost? Think about the early 21 ICE models vs late 21’s-22, they are watered down with features.

OP
OP
SmoothJ

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV
Ford moving to Android is like then switching from a Pioneer Deck to Alpine. It’s not going to affect the ability of the truck to be updated. That being said, it’s depends on how future models change. Did we get the best version with future models being watered down to save on cost? Think about the early 21 ICE models vs late 21’s-22, they are watered down with features.
Since I am trading in a 21 F150 PowerBoost, I know what you mean about watering down. I see where they saved money, and although the fit and finish is nice... it seems cheap in some areas.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Since I am trading in a 21 F150 PowerBoost, I know what you mean about watering down. I see where they saved money, and although the fit and finish is nice... it seems cheap in some areas.
Yup, for some reason the interior material in 21 XLT seemed nicer than this 22 Lariat. Maybe I am imagining things.

Sponsored

frautumn

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Lightning Lariat
So with a number of us taking out loans for 4, 5, 6, 7 years... how long do you plan on keeping your Lightning for?
You should change the original post to include a poll, something simple like:
< 3 yrs
3-6 yrs
6-9 yrs
> 10 yrs

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
Silverado EV?

I have a first hour Silverado EV(not first edition) reservation...est release summer 2024 as a fail safe. We'll see how I like the Lightning and see what comes from GM.

On the fence about whether I'll "upgrade" or not..will also put in a reservation for 2nd gen Lightning...
I'm also intrigued by the Ram plug-in hybrid, but it may be hard to go back to gas at that point. I'm also very skeptical that they'll ever be able to produce anything interesting that's not powered by a Hellcat engine.

OP
OP
SmoothJ

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV
You should change the original post to include a poll, something simple like:
< 3 yrs
3-6 yrs
6-9 yrs
> 10 yrs
Good idea... and done!

Theo1000

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Etron,Chevy Volt,BMW I3,Mach-E,F150 Lightning
I am hoping someone comes in with an aftermarket battery swap option that increases capacity-and thus range. If it happens, I would keep the truck for many years as that is the only "development" that would drive me to trade up.
Hah! This comes up every time but has never worked out. There are so many things working against this. The cooling system, the cost of batteries declining, the software, the obsolescence of the rest of car, for instance new battery will have another 10-15 year life but very few trucks will make it to 20+ years. It has never penciled out and only marginal demand has existed. Its possible it will change in future but it will not be cheap.

I think most of our trucks the battery will far out live the truck. Probably still have 80% of original charge when the truck gets condemned.

Means you will be getting rid of the truck asap. :)

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
8-10 years

Sponsored

Stuff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Right now I'm aiming for at least 3 years. I could see myself keeping it for much longer though. I'd like to keep it forever but that never works out for me... We'll see how technology advances and what innovations come.

Super blue cruise with self driving stuff and a futuristic look? Yawn, don't care, I'll keep what I'll have.

0-60 in 2.1 seconds and 600 mile range while still looking like a normal F-150? Yes please, sign me up. :devilish:

Texas Dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'04 Envoy XL 4WD, '15 Fusion Energi, '19 Niro EV
Occupation
Engineer
I have a SUV that is 17 years old but only has 90k miles. To keep miles off of my gas guzzling SUV is one of the main reasons I got into EVs. I’m on my forth EV now primary because I keep chasing the EV technology but I think the F150L technology is advanced enough that I won’t have to do that anymore.

My F150L won’t sit around like my SUV did. I won’t feel guilty about driving my F150L around the way I do with my SUV. The F150L will be my every day driver and I plan to drive it until the wheels fall off or until they bury me in it, whichever comes first.

Kev12345

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500
if the lightning had faster charge speeds I'd keep it for 6-8 years like normal. Still boggles my mind the charge speed maxes out at slow 150kw. silly engineering decisions like not bothering with a heat pump, a lacklustre app, and switching to android in year 2 shows this thing was rushed.

I know the cybertruck is going to blow it out of the water spec wise. I think ford also knows this so the 2nd gen lightning has to step it up big time. ill be trading for one of the two as soon as they're available which sounds like 2025.
Sponsored