• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

I got my turn to order,... however...

OP
OP
thevofl

thevofl

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Antimatter Blue F-150 Platinum
Occupation
Math
Also lost the security system.
Does that include losing how the truck (externally) lights up like a Christmas tree and remains on (up to ten minutes) any time someone opens or closes a door? That's supposed to improve security. I can't stand it on my Platinum, (and have taped over the non-essential lights).
Sponsored

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
The thing that gets me is that I am concerned about the future deleted features. Part of the reason I went with the Platinum ICE was to get the max recline active motion seats. The other stuff was a bonus. But they pulled that feature away from me one year after my initial order went through. I couldn't drop down to a Lariat without incurring all the price increases, which I wound up getting zinged for anyways.

Am I getting this right? As of right now, the features that have been removed are: heated steering wheel, bed camera, scales, and modem? Weren't the scales tied to the continuous controlled damping (CCD)? Is the CCD gone too? That is a very noticeable feature on my ICE Platinum.

I thank you for your insight.
CCD was never a thing on the Lightning. Only ICE.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
Does that include losing how the truck (externally) lights up like a Christmas tree and remains on (up to ten minutes) any time someone opens or closes a door? That's supposed to improve security. I can't stand it on my Platinum, (and have taped over the non-essential lights).
You can program the welcome lights to be off on the Lightning thru the Sync screen.

I like mine - it lights up as if it's excited to see me!

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, and more...
Occupation
Semi-retired electrical/computer/software engineer
The only security system feature removed right now from the Lightning (and also all other F-150s) is the cabin intrusion sensor. Which I hate anyway, because on my Expedition that had it, I would always forget to turn it off if I left my dogs inside. So within 30 seconds the alarm would go off...

As of this week, the current deletions are: Onboard scales and Smart Hitch, heated steering wheel, bed camera, security pack/ in-cabin intrusion sensor, lock cylinder for spare tire access and frunk cargo net. Platinum trim also can't have the ActiveMotion massage seats, something about the headrests, nor the max-recline. All-season tires are not available on any trim at the moment, which is a big one because forcing the AT tires lowers GVWR rating on the window sticker. I'm glad my truck was delivered with the AS tires and 8500# GVWR listed, as that makes it eligible for $1000 more rebate from the state for me.

Heated steering wheel is supposed to be able to retrofit. No official word or guarantee on that.

Modem is still there, after all how could they sell you connectivity and streaming plans without it? There was a handful of people reporting FordPass connection issues a week or so back and Ford saying they would have an update. But I think this is more to do with FordPass back-end stuff than the trucks themselves.

All things considered, I'm glad I went through with my Lightning purchase. I really needed a truck and the Lightning fits my needs/wants perfectly. I know I paid too much, especially with the missing features and the cold weather range is not good. I would recommend anyone in a place that has winter weather get the ER battery. Really though, that's my only true gripe about the truck is the range needs to be better, even in fair weather. I know we'll get a bigger battery with the next generation new platform based trucks, but this will do for now. The truck rides like a friggin' Cadillac and is as quick as our Tesla Model Y.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Yes, I had a 21 Ecoboost 2.7 XLT that I always special ordered and waited. I would not hesitate to order the Lightning again. For me it was an upgrade although there were deleted features I was looking forward to like the deployable steps. After all was said and done the Lightning came out to $69k. Today you probably have to think long and hard because of the price increase. I would probably opt for a Pro.

Sponsored

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
The only security system feature removed right now from the Lightning (and also all other F-150s) is the cabin intrusion sensor. Which I hate anyway, because on my Expedition that had it, I would always forget to turn it off if I left my dogs inside. So within 30 seconds the alarm would go off...

As of this week, the current deletions are: Onboard scales and Smart Hitch, heated steering wheel, bed camera, security pack/ in-cabin intrusion sensor, lock cylinder for spare tire access and frunk cargo net. Platinum trim also can't have the ActiveMotion massage seats, something about the headrests, nor the max-recline. All-season tires are not available on any trim at the moment, which is a big one because forcing the AT tires lowers GVWR rating on the window sticker. I'm glad my truck was delivered with the AS tires and 8500# GVWR listed, as that makes it eligible for $1000 more rebate from the state for me.

Heated steering wheel is supposed to be able to retrofit. No official word or guarantee on that.

Modem is still there, after all how could they sell you connectivity and streaming plans without it? There was a handful of people reporting FordPass connection issues a week or so back and Ford saying they would have an update. But I think this is more to do with FordPass back-end stuff than the trucks themselves.

All things considered, I'm glad I went through with my Lightning purchase. I really needed a truck and the Lightning fits my needs/wants perfectly. I know I paid too much, especially with the missing features and the cold weather range is not good. I would recommend anyone in a place that has winter weather get the ER battery. Really though, that's my only true gripe about the truck is the range needs to be better, even in fair weather. I know we'll get a bigger battery with the next generation new platform based trucks, but this will do for now. The truck rides like a friggin' Cadillac and is as quick as our Tesla Model Y.
The spare tire lock cylinder and frunk cargo nets aren't deletes. They have just been removed from MY23.

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, and more...
Occupation
Semi-retired electrical/computer/software engineer
The spare tire lock cylinder and frunk cargo nets aren't deletes. They have just been removed from MY23.
Semantics I suppose. They were quietly removed or deleted. Order guides have not been updated to reflect these changes. Ford will probably quietly start putting them in trucks again as they become available.

...Found my Box Link cleats that were missing. They were wedged in the gap between the two under-seat storage compartments. The other two I had were still in the blister pack, in a bag with the keys. I guess someone was going to install them during PDI and then didn't and they chucked two of them under the seat. And it turns out I don't need them for my Peragon tonneau install -- it bolts into where the Box Link plates are mounted and doesn't interfere with the cleats or need them.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
Semantics I suppose. They were quietly removed or deleted. Order guides have not been updated to reflect these changes. Ford will probably quietly start putting them in trucks again as they become available.

...Found my Box Link cleats that were missing. They were wedged in the gap between the two under-seat storage compartments. The other two I had were still in the blister pack, in a bag with the keys. I guess someone was going to install them during PDI and then didn't and they chucked two of them under the seat. And it turns out I don't need them for my Peragon tonneau install -- it bolts into where the Box Link plates are mounted and doesn't interfere with the cleats or need them.
Not really semantics...

Deleted implies it was supposed to come with the truck. Those 2 items have been moved to accessory purchases and are no longer included with the vehicle (there is no part shortage associated with them).

Reactions: GDN

lakeguy55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat, 2011 F-150, 98 Expedition
Not really semantics...

Deleted implies it was supposed to come with the truck. Those 2 items have been moved to accessory purchases and are no longer included with the vehicle (there is no part shortage associated with them).
Then why hasn't the 2023 Order Guide been updated to reflect this?

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
Then why hasn't the 2023 Order Guide been updated to reflect this?
Because Ford sucks at Marketing and updating their literature. The 2023 Pro came with heated seats, they didn't have that listed when I bought my truck.

Heck, they had Oxford White showing for the Avalanche color on their ICE Build and Price...

Ford may be one of the most mismanaged companies, definitely in the automotive world. They can't even effectively communicate price protection to their dealers.

I questioned my dealer on both of those items. I was showed my build sheet and a comparison build sheet from MY22. They weren't deleted, they were purposely no longer included with the truck. I could probably whine and get mad enough where they would just throw the parts at me to make me go away, but that doesn't seem like it should be the dealers responsibility. Ford needs to clean house in upper management.

Last edited:

Sponsored

TheBigBezo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
I took delivery of a MY23 Lariat ER. Was it considerably more expensive than if I had taken delivery of a MY22 over the summer? Yah. Is it missing features? Also yes. Of those I only miss smart scales. Fortunately I live somewhere temperate so I don't think I'd ever honestly use a heated steering wheel. I plan to drive the truck and eventually trade it in. I don't really think the market is going to contract on these trucks. The battery alone is worth an insane amount. Worst case come 2025 and the new Lightning is out (and better than ever) I'll probably buy one and if the trade in on my current Lariat is laughably bad I'll just condition it for long term storage, hook the battery up to a dedicated charger and the propower into the house effectively making it a 131kWh battery bank for my solar install.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Even though I didnā€™t get the spare tire lock, I did get the key for it. Maybe it has another function I havenā€™t discovered yet!

Whatā€˜s the part number for the frunk net? I canā€™t find it in the accessories website.

Last edited:

Techkraut

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Prius, Polaris Slingshot, Toyota Yaris
With all the deleted features, and no tax credit, I have not placed my order.
I am with you 100%. With the price increases and deleted features, it simply isn't a good deal anymore. I will hold off to see if they fix these issues, otherwise, I will be looking at other options.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
Even though I didnā€™t get the spare tire lock, I did get the key for it. Maybe it has another function I havenā€™t discovered yet!

Whatā€˜s the part number for the frunk net? I canā€™t find it in the accessories website.
That key will also lock the back seat down. This may no longer play a part if the undersea storage is gone, but if you had the storage bin, locking the seat bottoms down would "lock" the storage. There is a key hole on the side of the back seat for that lock.
Sponsored

Last edited: