• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

I Hate The Rain Sensing Wipers

jimfigler

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Lariat ER, 21 Corvette Convertible
Mine don't do the initial swipe so something really isn't right
Mine only do that initial swipe 1 time for every 20-30 starts. Very random on the swipe but otherwise work great.
Sponsored

davehu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lighting Lariat ER, Iconic Silver
Occupation
retired
I've only driven in the rain once so my experience is limited. But my experience is/was that it doesn't work. Three settings for the speed of the wipers. As the rain intensity changed I had to constantly change the speed just as I have had to do for every car I've owned for decades.

lakeguy55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat, 2011 F-150, 98 Expedition
My only complaint is they strike a single swipe when I start the truck regardless of the weather. šŸ™
Same for me. Sensing and rates work perfectly for me. But if I park the truck and forget to shut off the wipers, the next time I start it, the wipers will swipe on a dry windshield even if there are no drops to sense. Especially annoying this time of year when the wipers can be covered in pine needles or leaves.

JRT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
1st, there is a setting buried in vehicle setting called courtesy wipe, you can turn it off. I also leave the wiper set to off till it starts raining.

lakeguy55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat, 2011 F-150, 98 Expedition
1st, there is a setting buried in vehicle setting called courtesy wipe, you can turn it off. I also leave the wiper set to off till it starts raining.
Yes, but as I understand it, the courtesy wipe is for when you wash your windshield. After you stop spraying, it will wait a few seconds then wipe once more to get any remaining washer fluid. I like this feature. But in my view that should have noting to do with wipers during a rainstorm or the sensing feature.

No matter what the setting, the wipers shouldn't swipe on startup unless rain is sensed.

Sponsored

JRT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
Ok, seems to be a bunch of comments about a single swipe and just telling you can turn it off, it drove me nuts in my Mach-E and my Mom's 2021 Explorer.

EdRudy

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Lightning ER Iced Blue Silver
Occupation
IT
If I drive in the rain, then park and shutdown while still wiping, the next time I start the truck the wipers will engage even if the windshield is dry.

Maddogaxl

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 2023 lightning
šŸ¤”. That an entirely different experience than what I have seen. Mine have been on sense I brought the truck home day one and have worked as I would expect during the few rain falls Iā€™ve allowed my Garage Princess to be out in. šŸ˜Š

My only complaint is they strike a single swipe when I start the truck regardless of the weather. šŸ™
You can turn off the courtesy swipe
In vehicle settings

Rockyl32

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 lightning pro
Occupation
Pilot
i put in and programmed the sensor. For the first few weeks no initial swipe at start up, then it started doing it. I found that if I clean my windshield it doesnā€™t swipe, when a little dirty (especially near the sensor) I get that swipe.

bms72

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 AMB F-150L Lariat ER
Sounds more like intermittent wipers than rain sensing. My rain sensing seems to have gone away after the heated steering wheel update and all I have now is intermittent. The APIM still lets me slide the switch for rain sensing ā€œonā€ but it doesnā€™t affect how they work. Also lost my courtesy wipe functionality.

Did you have the hearted steering wheel update done?
I lost the rain sensing wiper function after the heated steering wheel update also. I am going back to the dealer after Thanksgiving to see if they can fix it. It worked fine before.

Sponsored

KingStraasha

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER, Antimatter Blue
I lost the rain sensing wiper function after the heated steering wheel update also. I am going back to the dealer after Thanksgiving to see if they can fix it. It worked fine before.
If you see my post, #15, I found the solution to this problem. If you can't make the changes, then ask the dealer. I am pretty sure they do not know about it.

@Ford Motor Company Can you please pass on to your developers or dealers about the solution to this common problem.

Ventorum94

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chev Avalanche, BMW 550i, Tesla MY, Tesla M3
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Maybe something is wrong with my sensor.
The sensor may be ā€œseeingā€ something that isnā€™t raindrops on the windshield (bug spot, condensation if the truck sits out overnight, window tint film overlapping the sensor, toll road transponder, glass chip, etc.). Iā€™d check the windshield glass in front of the rearview mirror.

bms72

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 AMB F-150L Lariat ER
If you see my post, #15, I found the solution to this problem. If you can't make the changes, then ask the dealer. I am pretty sure they do not know about it.

@Ford Motor Company Can you please pass on to your developers or dealers about the solution to this common problem.
Thanks, I haven't started messing with programming myself. I'll take this info to the dealer.

Jseis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
July 2021 SR MME, July 2023, Lightning Lariat
Weā€™ve two periods of rain as in raining and starting to rain. I gave up on our MMEā€™s rain sensing and found the LTā€™s just as fickle.
Sponsored