• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

“Rain Sensing” Wipers Don’t work

Chemeng1661

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER - Smoked Quartz
Occupation
Engineer
Ive been looking through the ICE forums and found this, I’ll look to see if this might be the issue

UPDATE: While outside of the truck and standing at the hood looking at the windshield and the cameras, I noticed that the rain sensing wiper sensor had a weird shadow. On a hunch, I took off the plastic camera cover by the mirror (inside the cab) and it was immediately clear what my issue was - the rain sensor has 2 clasps that snap it into place when installed, but only 1 clasp was secure and the other was not, leaving the camera hanging incorrectly and not looking out the window. I snapped the other clasp and now it works as desired. Solved!

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/autowipers-not-working.3125/page-2

Post #18

Post #21 has pictures
Thank you for posting this! I checked mine and, sure enough, only one of my clasps was connected. I snapped it back in and I’m now all set. Pulling the cover off was easy.

Ford F-150 Lightning “Rain Sensing” Wipers Don’t work DD28D93C-B735-4A05-BB4A-BDD8731FB3FD
Sponsored

OP
OP
F150ROD

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Thank you for posting this! I checked mine and, sure enough, only one of my clasps was connected. I snapped it back in and I’m now all set. Pulling the cover off was easy.

DD28D93C-B735-4A05-BB4A-BDD8731FB3FD.jpeg
Whats the best way to go about taking it off?

Avocadodude

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariat
This is about the 2nd time I’ve been through some good amount of rain for a period of time and the wipers do not come on. I’ve tried toggling the switch on and off, different settings on the stalk. The wipers themselves work when setting them manually. Has anyone else experienced this? Looks like another issue for me to write down for my annual dealer trip.
Now I guess I need to drive my truck in the rain to test. Kind of a rare event so hopefully I can get out today while the rain is still here.

OP
OP
F150ROD

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Now I guess I need to drive my truck in the rain to test. Kind of a rare event so hopefully I can get out today while the rain is still here.
Just park it outside and see if they come on, you can press the right side of that plastic and they will probably come on if that’s the issue. I was hoping to snap it back into place by just pressing that side but it looks like I will have to take it off.

Chemeng1661

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER - Smoked Quartz
Occupation
Engineer
Whats the best way to go about taking it off?
The cover has robust tabs. I gently pried the cover off starting on the passenger side and worked my way around the lower edge. When I was done, I was able to snap it back into place with no issue. All of the tabs remained intact.

Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow Iconic Silver
Occupation
Retired
I noticed the lack of spontaneous wiping with intermittent rain today, over the 60 miles up and back, I just turned up the number of clicks to get a frequency of wipes I needed.

With the tips noted above, I'll check to see if my sensor is loose and snap it back, on Monday we're expecting more rain so that will be a good test.

OP
OP
F150ROD

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Well I went ahead and took off the plastic covering to take care of this issue, sure enough the sensor was almost completely off.

Before:
Ford F-150 Lightning “Rain Sensing” Wipers Don’t work 2FBE4D7A-E377-4DF8-A07A-A63C7A4864F2

After:
Ford F-150 Lightning “Rain Sensing” Wipers Don’t work 872DB44E-F5F8-49EE-9748-CFE0FA7EA383

For anyone not willing to do this themselves and have issues with the rain sensing wipers make sure you let the dealer know about this specific fix or else you might get the “we have to order parts”

Hopefully this fix works for me, we’ll see tomorrow as more rain is expected.

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
Will rain-sensing wipers work if I don't turn the wipers one click or more, or should they just work no matter what I have them set to?

OP
OP
F150ROD

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Will rain-sensing wipers work if I don't turn the wipers one click or more, or should they just work no matter what I have them set to?
I don’t think they will work if you have them on 0A setting with the wiper icon, you have to be on the one raindrop or above

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
Well, dang. I didn't even know the truck had rain sensing wipers! :LOL:

Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow Iconic Silver
Occupation
Retired
Forgot to mention that my sensor was installed properly when I checked and the automatic function was working fine on Monday.

Ford F-150 Lightning “Rain Sensing” Wipers Don’t work 1663098580764

Ford F-150 Lightning “Rain Sensing” Wipers Don’t work 1663098608076
Ford F-150 Lightning “Rain Sensing” Wipers Don’t work 1663098591495

ErichKeane

First Name
Erich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150L Lariat ER, 2020 Niro EV, 1990 300zx TT
Occupation
Senior Compiler Engineer
So before taking the car apart, make sure you're putting the knob in the right positions. I put it in the one with the "auto wiper" logo (also a 0), but it turns out that is actually an 'auto wipers disabled' position.

The single rain drop, and the next two hash mark positions are 'auto wiper speed' when in auto-sensor mode (set via the center dash), and the 3 intermittent speeds when NOT in auto-sensor-mode.

I'd thought the little icon next to the 0 meant that was in auto-mode, then was surprised it didn't come on in the carwash. My wife surmised it might only work in 'drive', so we didn't think about it. Then I was surprised they didnt come on during a light rain, and saw this thread. Looked up how the wipers worked in the dash-manual (search for them is... bad...), and learned the above.

TODAY went through the carwash in N, and the wipers came on!

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
So before taking the car apart, make sure you're putting the knob in the right positions. I put it in the one with the "auto wiper" logo (also a 0), but it turns out that is actually an 'auto wipers disabled' position.

The single rain drop, and the next two hash mark positions are 'auto wiper speed' when in auto-sensor mode (set via the center dash), and the 3 intermittent speeds when NOT in auto-sensor-mode.

I'd thought the little icon next to the 0 meant that was in auto-mode, then was surprised it didn't come on in the carwash. My wife surmised it might only work in 'drive', so we didn't think about it. Then I was surprised they didnt come on during a light rain, and saw this thread. Looked up how the wipers worked in the dash-manual (search for them is... bad...), and learned the above.

TODAY went through the carwash in N, and the wipers came on!
It is not intuitive and I don't know why they ever added an option/switch in the GUI itself. This just confuses things. On the stalk should be sufficient. Off, Automatic, then manual old school intermittent wipers.

OP
OP
F150ROD

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Got some sprinkles this morning and the wipers did their job coming on. It was like Christmas, glad this fix worked.

kbuicker

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning
Ive been looking through the ICE forums and found this, I’ll look to see if this might be the issue

UPDATE: While outside of the truck and standing at the hood looking at the windshield and the cameras, I noticed that the rain sensing wiper sensor had a weird shadow. On a hunch, I took off the plastic camera cover by the mirror (inside the cab) and it was immediately clear what my issue was - the rain sensor has 2 clasps that snap it into place when installed, but only 1 clasp was secure and the other was not, leaving the camera hanging incorrectly and not looking out the window. I snapped the other clasp and now it works as desired. Solved!

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/autowipers-not-working.3125/page-2

Post #18

Post #21 has pictures
This happened to mine too. Clicked it back into place and they work great.
Sponsored

Reactions: GDN