• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

I need info on home charging

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
btw,

I have no less than FOUR 240v outlets in or around or near my drive-thru carport.
I am blessed to have plenty of places to place outlets. We are blessed to have PLENTY of parking in and around our carport, too. This is certainly NOT the case for most.

Two are 20amp 240v outlets, for 20amp EVSEs I used for my former LEAFS, and now for my two youngest sons BOLTS when they visit...
- one shares a 30amp circuit with a mini-split a/c unit that hardly ever gets used, so making use of it for an extra EVSE made sense.
- the other shares a 30amp circuit with a well pump that never gets used, so making use of it, too, made sense

Two are 50amp 240v outlets, though run with 8awg '40amp' wiring back to the main panel.
- one is for my LIGHTNING, and my new EV9. This is where my Ford Mobile 30amp EVSE is plugged in. It is an outlet that is mounted high in the corner of the carport, and the J1772 cord drops down from the middle of the ceiling to plug into whichever vehicle needs it.
- the other is mounted around the corner of the carport and is there for any visitor with and EV.

after traveling to Florida, and staying several places for a short few days, and with very limited parking in many places, especially 'street parking', I am very aware that everyone who might WANT an EV might find it very difficult to provide 'at home' charging. Parking on the 'street' is not going to provide an easy option. Even some of the skinny driveways between homes can create issues. The U.S. will need many more flexible charging options in order to drive more people to feel comfortable with the notion of owning an EV and requiring 'at home' charging.
Even my wife and I had to scramble to get the EV9 charged while in the area. A lack of DC Fast Charging certainly did not help, and local 'slow chargers' would just take completely too long.
Sponsored

carys98

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR
1) a simple 16-24amp 240v EVSE would work just fine from this 'spare breaker', and they are easily found on many websites. Pricing is not indicative of 'better'... just get one and go with it. All they do is allow Voltage to flow thru the EVSE module to your truck. Your truck doesn't decide how much to use, the EVSE does.
While this is generally true once you pick one you should go to @tommologs YouTube channel (State of Charge) and make sure it isn’t one of the ones that tends to melt. There are some shady companies out there making things that could burn down your house. Personally, I would stick with one of the top brands like Autel, GrizzlE, Emporia, or Chargepoint.

ScubaSteve_TheReal

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Platinum - Carbonized Gray Metallic
Occupation
Derivatives
So if it has ability to charge other vehicles with same large size plug that is good to hear. I have not looked to see if is a NACS type adapter available yet that will work with charge station pro, still researching…. We are looking at getting a Tesla down the road and would like to be able to use our 80amp charge station pro output for it or other vehicles. I just read through this thread and still not sure best way yet. So what is the best safest option commercially available to go to NACS plug type vehicle for the future….?

jmc6020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat
The Teslas Wall Connector with both NACS and J1772.
I picked up this exact unit even though my only EV is the Lightning and I think it's a great charger
Sponsored