• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

I was on a 1000 mile road trip when Supercharger access opened up

detansinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red F150 Lightning Lariat Extended Battery
I was headed out to Columbus, Ohio on Thursday, February 29th, when I saw the news hit. At the time, I was at an Electrify America charger in Bedford, PA. Needless to say, I was stoked. I had the A2Z adapter in the truck and was eager to try it out.

In that moment, there were no further details available, so I thought that I could just plug it in. We tried this at the Somerset rest area on the Turnpike. Nothing happened. I realized that it was a V2 charger. Our second attempt was at a V3 charger at a Get Go in New Stanton. We saw blue lights and then the truck threw a charger error. I suspected that we we were missing some kind of update. We stuck to our charging plan and used EA charging up until Columbus.

On Thursday afternoon/evening, I started seeing Forum posts about people receiving an OTA. As a 2023 owner, I knew that the OTA was going to be slow coming, but then saw that the Tesla and FordPass apps both received updates.

It appeared that you could activate the supercharger from the updated Tesla app. So, I headed out early Saturday morning and did my first successful Supercharger session. It worked! I promptly signed up for the Tesla $13/mo membership to get the discounted rates.

Ford F-150 Lightning I was on a 1000 mile road trip when Supercharger access opened up IMG_4481-EDIT

Later that morning, as we parked for the Arnold Classic, I got a pop up on the truck's main display about a priority update being available. Naturally, I chose to do the update right away. Now, it felt legit.

Ford F-150 Lightning I was on a 1000 mile road trip when Supercharger access opened up IMG_4484-EDIT

For our Sunday 500 mile return drive, I decided to roll the dice and use Superchargers exclusively. The locations of the Superchargers would allow us to do the trip as a two charging stop affair. The first stop was in Triadelphia, WV. The second stop was in Breezewood, PA. It all worked like a champ.

Ford F-150 Lightning I was on a 1000 mile road trip when Supercharger access opened up IMG_4491-EDIT

Ford F-150 Lightning I was on a 1000 mile road trip when Supercharger access opened up IMG_4493-EDIT

Thoughts and takeaways:
  • For both Supercharger stops, I just took the end spots and didn't take up any extra spaces. With the 360 surround view, it's not a big deal to maneuver nice and close. The short cable panic is a bit overblown. It all worked pretty seamlessly. I should note that I did use the Tesla app for activation so that I got the member rate.
  • To leverage the membership rate, I'm just going to activate through the Tesla app going forward. The experience isn't all that different from using the EA app to do the same thing. Plug & Charge is handy, but the app is fine.
  • I have traveled to Columbus via EV almost 50 times. For CCS stops, I typically would use Electrify America chargers in Carlisle, Belle Vernon, and Cambridge. When it's very cold (20s), I would stop at Bedford to give me a little more breathing room when it came to range. I try to avoid that Bedford, PA stop, because it's one of the busiest on my route and don't like waiting. The whole trip should be a two stop journey, but the EA chargers just aren't spaced right to do it that way consistently. I am often left doing a short stop at Carlisle on my way home, adding a third stop in the mix.
  • With Superchargers added in to the charging options, it changes up my charging plan, because it DOUBLES the number of high speed charger locations available in that Turnpike/I-70 corridor and they're in different locations than the CCS chargers. The Breezewood Supercharger allowed me to skip that ritual quick stop in Carlisle. The location of the Triadelphia, WV and Breezewood, PA superchargers should make this a consistent two charging stop trip. It's just great to have more options along the route.
  • Was using Superchargers a revelatory experience? Access to more options is the big thing here. It's a supercharger. It works like you'd expect. Tesla puts 8,10,12 of them at a given location unlike EA's typical 3-4. When a Supercharger charger is down, you don't really notice it, because there are so many others available. The Breezewood supercharger had a charger with a damaged cable. Triadelphia had a unit that wasn't working for Tesla owners. It's not a panacea, but it's also not nearly the inconvenience of showing up at an EA station where only half the chargers are working leaving you with two units, each occupied by Chevy Bolts trying to charge to 100%.
  • On the topic of charging curves, I saw no difference compared to using a 350kw EA charger. Peak charging rates of 174kw were observed.
  • What about charger congestion? For the places that I travel, the Superchargers are nearly completely vacant. Tesla is smart to open them up to generate some revenue. Yes, I understand that some chargers have long lines and backups, but in places like West Virginia, that's not happening. If I encounter a busy Supercharger with a wait, there's always the CCS options.
  • The A2Z adapter is great. I am an electrical engineer. I inspected it closely after each charge. It's very well built. If you're confused about the slider switch, the trick is making sure that the Tesla connector is fully pressed in and then, the switch will engage easily. In use, it's a good design, because it ensures that your connection is tight. I trust it and will use it until my free Ford adapter arrives later this year. Then, it will end up in our Mini Cooper.
  • It's very nice to have so many more options. Between CCS and Superchargers, you can almost wing it through much of the Northeast now without having to diligently plan all of your stops. It's a big leap forward.
  • I only encountered one sour puss during my supercharger experiences. Most Tesla owners were very curious and social. Seeing my Lightning charging up inspired a Tesla owner to announce that they were going to sell their model 3 and gas powered F150 to get a Lightning. Hey, brand visibility cuts both ways!
Sponsored

Last edited:

kab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER (Atlas Blue)
Awesome! That Breezewood Supercharger is the one I plan to use on a regular basis so I'm very pleased to see your success with it šŸ˜

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
Did you double check the Tesla app to make sure the station was showing open to other vehicles, or did you just pull into any V3 station and assumed it was going to work?

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
I only encountered one sour puss during my supercharger experiences. Most Tesla owners were very curious and social. Seeing my Lightning charging up inspired a Tesla owner to announce that they were going to sell their model 3 and gas powered F150 to get a Lightning. Hey, brand visibility cuts both ways!
For grins I read some of Farleys announcements posted to the Tesla Reddit. A lot complained about the wrong side,World coming to end, etc.

But what Teslarati need to realize is this gives them SO many more options for their next electric vehicle and no longer have a few options to choose from.

OP
OP
detansinn

detansinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Did you double check the Tesla app to make sure the station was showing open to other vehicles, or did you just pull into any V3 station and assumed it was going to work?
I use the Tesla app to confirm that the charger is compatible. The Ford app has the same data. Looking forward to the chargers actually being part of the Nav. šŸ‘

Sponsored

Webbo85

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2002 Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Mech Engineer
That Bedford EA station is awful, and was the only option going from the Philadelphia area out to Pittsburgh. I've sat and waited an hour and a half to charge there due to one charger being down and one derated. The SC's along the turnpike are going to be a game changer.

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, and more...
Occupation
Semi-retired electrical/computer/software engineer
EA will have to really up their game if they want to stay in business. It's not just competition from Tesla now, but EVGO and others. I haven't used an EA charger in almost a year now because I was tired of always having derated chargers or other issues. So I avoid EA whenever possible. Now with Tesla options and more, I think I can just about make my trips EA free.

I really question how they will meet the reliability and uptime requirements for the federal funding. There's no way they are compliant at this time.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Great report!!!!

OP
OP
detansinn

detansinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
EA will have to really up their game if they want to stay in business. It's not just competition from Tesla now, but EVGO and others. I haven't used an EA charger in almost a year now because I was tired of always having derated chargers or other issues. So I avoid EA whenever possible. Now with Tesla options and more, I think I can just about make my trips EA free.

I really question how they will meet the reliability and uptime requirements for the federal funding. There's no way they are compliant at this time.
Well, you should try them again. EA has dramatically improved in the past six months. The brand has obviously taken a hit, but they have really stepped up. I regularly encounter EA maintenance guys servicing the chargers. They clearly knew competition was coming.

The new high output EVGo and Chargepoint chargers are pretty great. Older 3G equipped 62kw Chargepoint units are still out there dead in the wild ā€” avoid those.

Competition and many options is a good thing. šŸ‘

OP
OP
detansinn

detansinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
That Bedford EA station is awful, and was the only option going from the Philadelphia area out to Pittsburgh. I've sat and waited an hour and a half to charge there due to one charger being down and one derated. The SC's along the turnpike are going to be a game changer.
I do everything that I can to avoid Bedford. Back in early 22, it was great, but there are simply too many users now. I have seen lines 5-6 cars deep. It doesnā€™t help that itā€™s 350x2, a 150, and a Chademo combo. Hoping that they upgrade the hardware at some point.

Sponsored
OP
OP
detansinn

detansinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The real question, considering I haven't received an update since March of '23 is when am I going to get this update.....
If you havenā€™t done so, get the 12V battery monitoring service bulletin done. When I had that addressed, my updates came fast and furious. I hadnā€™t received any updates since October. With that fix, I saw four in a matter of weeks.

With that being said, you donā€™t need the update to charge at a Supercharger. Before I got the Tesla Priority Update OTA, I was able to charge without the update by activating the charger through the Tesla app.

Formerly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Lightning 2022
Occupation
Construction Estimation
If you havenā€™t done so, get the 12V battery monitoring service bulletin done. When I had that addressed, my updates came fast and furious. I hadnā€™t received any updates since October. With that fix, I saw four in a matter of weeks.

With that being said, you donā€™t need the update to charge at a Supercharger. Before I got the Tesla Priority Update OTA, I was able to charge without the update by activating the charger through the Tesla app.
Had it done in December and no change yet. I've had lots of trouble in the past with Tesla magic dock stations in upstate NY where the app freezes (on Tesla/server side), removing my ability to charge, sometimes desperately.... Which explains my hope to remove the app from the equation.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
The SC's along the turnpike are going to be a game changer.
If they ever open them. It looks like the travel plaza site on the Ohio and Pennsylvania Turnpike aren't open to us. I'm driving to Virginia in April from Michigan, and I was hoping I could use those Superchargers.

OP
OP
detansinn

detansinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
If they ever open them. It looks like the travel plaza site on the Ohio and Pennsylvania Turnpike aren't open to us. I'm driving to Virginia in April from Michigan, and I was hoping I could use those Superchargers.
The PA Turnpike rest stop superchargers are all v2 units. The Ohio Turnpike has a combination of Superchargers and Electrify America chargers. It sounds like those superchargers are v2 as well.
Sponsored