• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

joesrepsol

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Solutions Engineer
I've never had PPF or ceramic coatings on any of my vehicles, so this is all new to me. I was quoted $1,650 (without grill), $1,750 (with grill) for Kavaca Ceramic Coated PPF from Ceramic Pro in Jacksonville. They also said they could ceramic coat clear PPF for $1,600 (2 yr warranty)/$2,000 (5 yr warranty)/$2,400 (lifetime warranty). Interior ceramic package for $400 and wheels off ceramic package for $200.

Do those prices seem to good to be true, or is Cali just that much more expensive?

Has anyone seen Kavaca Ceramic Coated PPF and how it compares to clear PPF with ceramic coating over it?

TYIA
Been doing PPF myself for 15+ years now. It's not that hard. Maybe 20+ vehicle installs now. Takes time sure, but order pre-cut kits on bay (I use 3M Pro Series, thickest PPF), then ceramic coating is applied on top of the PPF and the rest of the paint. Labor of love I suppose... but so much cheaper. I spend around $500 and do it myself.

But it that's not your thing.... I guess its $5k? Damn. Inflation.

Sponsored

White Lightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 IBSM F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Pharmacist | Pharmacy Owner
Replaced roll and lock badges

CD180D79-28D4-473B-887E-E265043FA391.jpeg

E0672A56-30CE-4094-BB10-2FC4512983F0.jpeg
Which Roll-n-Lock model is this? Did you consider any other Roll-n-Lock series or other manufacturers, and why did you go choose the one you did?

Your pictures are higher resolution than any manufacturer or reseller's website. I really don't understand why the tonneau cover pictures on EVERY website are so small.

OP
OP
jredondox

jredondox

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Which Roll-n-Lock model is this? Did you consider any other Roll-n-Lock series or other manufacturers, and why did you go choose the one you did?

Your pictures are higher resolution than any manufacturer or reseller's website. I really don't understand why the tonneau cover pictures on EVERY website are so small.
It’s this one.
https://rollnlock.com/e-series-xt/2022/ford/f-150

I always buy the retrax power version for all my trucks but this one was available at a local shop for $800 yes $800 😂 it was a return due to having a damaged cover which I bought from rollnlock for $200 so I’m it 1k.

My fav part of this cover is the emergency release and how much better the motor works. I don’t think I will buy retrax if this is available.

Mirus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Been doing PPF myself for 15+ years now. It's not that hard. Maybe 20+ vehicle installs now. Takes time sure, but order pre-cut kits on bay (I use 3M Pro Series, thickest PPF), then ceramic coating is applied on top of the PPF and the rest of the paint. Labor of love I suppose... but so much cheaper. I spend around $500 and do it myself.

But it that's not your thing.... I guess its $5k? Damn. Inflation.
I did my own PPF on my Bronco a few months ago, lowest quote to do that at the time was $6000 for full PPF (Southern California). Bronco has much less material than the F150, so, was able to buy bulk directly from XPEL. Took slightly more than 1 5' by 20' roll, so around $1800 in material alone for Full PPF and had to do it myself.

I took all the measurements and found it would take about two and a half rolls for the F150. That's about $3000 just in material alone. I was able to find a shop that would do it for $5500 for full PPF of my Lightning. After doing the Bronco, and looking at how much more difficult the F150 would be, and the over 100 degree weather, I'm paying to have somebody else do it.

There's no way that you can do full PPF for $500.

Last edited:

RI fisherman

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 lighting on order
I did my own PPF on my Bronco a few months ago, lowest quote to do that at the time was $6000 for full PPF (Southern California). Bronco has much less material than the F150, so, was able to buy bulk directly from XPEL. Took slightly more than 1 5' by 20' roll, so around $1800 in material alone for Full PPF and had to do it myself.

I took all the measurements and found it would take about two and a half rolls for the F150. That's about $3000 just in material alone. I was able to find a shop that would do it for $5500 for full PPF of my Lightning. After doing the Bronco, and looking at how much more difficult the F150 would be, and the over 100 degree weather, I'm paying to have somebody else do it.

There's no way that you can do full PPF for $500.
Some decent prices in the old eBay...
Ford F-150 Lightning Iced Blue Silver Lightning Build. Mods: PPF matte finish, Line-X, gloss black painted grille, black wrapped roof, wheels Screenshot_20220907-201348_eBay

DKZB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAM 1500
I just called around to multiple Xpel and 3M installers in Northern NJ. All wanted around $7000 for the full truck and $3000 for the front only. How is that worth it!?

I could have them touch up the Truck annually @ $300/yr and it would take me 10 years to break even.

Am I thinking about this wrong?

Sponsored
OP
OP
jredondox

jredondox

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I just called around to multiple Xpel and 3M installers in Northern NJ. All wanted around $7000 for the full truck and $3000 for the front only. How is that worth it!?

I could have them touch up the Truck annually @ $300/yr and it would take me 10 years to break even.

Don’t take this in the wrong way. People that ppf a a full car or a truck usually want their car looking perfect. I personally have all my Shelby’s fully wrapped and after 7 years the black gt350r doesn’t have swirl marks or chips!

Yes we can have annual touch up done for $300 or so but it will look like shit while with ppf we just peel sections at a time every couple of years and our paint is flawless.

Ford F-150 Lightning Iced Blue Silver Lightning Build. Mods: PPF matte finish, Line-X, gloss black painted grille, black wrapped roof, wheels B7BE83CD-E7CE-4747-8D73-9E96F99A2BBC

T i h o r

First Name
Rohit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Occupation
Self Employed

What OP said is pretty much it.

Also, PPF is more economical when it's applied on more expensive vehicles. So think of it more as an insurance policy.

If you're spending $10K on a $100K car, it's because you really want the look, and the protection is a bonus. If you're doing it on a $200K car, you're doing it to protect the paint, which will also adds value if you decide to sell down the road.

DKZB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAM 1500
What OP said is pretty much it.

Also, PPF is more economical when it's applied on more expensive vehicles. So think of it more as an insurance policy.

If you're spending $10K on a $100K car, it's because you really want the look, and the protection is a bonus. If you're doing it on a $200K car, you're doing it to protect the paint, which will also adds value if you decide to sell down the road.
Maybe I was a little too harsh in my initial comment .I guess I’m new to the PPF concept and I was shocked at how expensive the quotes I got were!

I called around to several Installers and they were all in the same ballpark. Is $7k a normal price for this? From those who are more familiar, is the front end good enough or should I consider the investment in getting the whole truck done?

OP
OP
jredondox

jredondox

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Maybe I was a little too harsh in my initial comment .I guess I’m new to the PPF concept and I was shocked at how expensive the quotes I got were!

I called around to several Installers and they were all in the same ballpark. Is $7k a normal price for this? From those who are more familiar, is the front end good enough or should I consider the investment in getting the whole truck done?
Front end usually runs $1800 which is worth it as well

T i h o r

First Name
Rohit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Occupation
Self Employed

It's OK, I was equally as shocked when I first started doing my research.

If you're going matte, you'll have to do the whole car, but if you do the regular clear, you can absolutely just do the front, hood and maybe fenders as well.
Sponsored