• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Instrument Cluster Has Gone Dark: FIX post 19

Sealevel

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 XLT Lightning SR
Occupation
Engineer
I parked it for 10 minutes and when I restarted it, the Instrument Display did not come on. Center 12" display is okay.

Tried restarting several times with no success. It drives okay and sensors seem to function too. Called 2 dealers - techs have no clue how to reset the display. Have it on the charger at home, but it was over 65% anyway. Edit: 60% when the display went dark.

Only information on the web says there should be a reset button on the dash - either right or left side of display, but I can't find it.

Anyone else experience this or can describe where the reset button is?

--------------
--------------
Post 19 potential solution
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Sealevel

Sealevel

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 XLT Lightning SR
Occupation
Engineer
I read that as a remedy for several issues. On a whim, I grabbed my backup fob when it finished charging. Have no clue what worked, but the IC Display is back to normal. 🤷‍♂️

Whammy Bar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1971 F100 + 2022⚡Lariat ER
Occupation
Electrician
Did your subscription not renew for your Driver's Convenience Display with Blue cruise*??

*Blue cruise is an additional additional fee.

OP
OP
Sealevel

Sealevel

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 XLT Lightning SR
Occupation
Engineer
Did your subscription not renew for your Driver's Convenience Display with Blue cruise*??

*Blue cruise is an additional additional fee.
I don't have Blue Cruise - base model :cool: XLT SR. It may have been a glitch or low 12V battery issue. I'll watch for it to happen again before I take it to the dealership. Hoping it was a one time glitch.

Sponsored

Hceren

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning
Occupation
Data Architect
I had this same issue happen last week. I drove about 20 miles or so with the instrument display (right above the steering wheel) completely black.

it came back on after I left the car for half an hour going into the grocery store.

I just wanted to let folks know others have had the issue too (and Ford if they're monitoring this forum).

OP
OP
Sealevel

Sealevel

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 XLT Lightning SR
Occupation
Engineer
I had this same issue happen last week. I drove about 20 miles or so with the instrument display (right above the steering wheel) completely black.

it came back on after I left the car for half an hour going into the grocery store.

I just wanted to let folks know others have had the issue too (and Ford if they're monitoring this forum).
Luckily, I've not had a repeat yet - good luck.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150

Hi there! Would you send us a private message with your VIN and dealership name and location? I’d like to look into this concern on my end.

Sponsored

Ryguy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat Ext
Just had the same issue. Had car parked outside in the sun for 3 hours in Michigan. Sun roof shade open. Tried restarting several times with no luck yet.

Tried to pull into the garage just in case it was overheated. Have it charging now to see if that my force a wake up.

Lariat model here.

Ryguy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat Ext
Just had the same issue. Had car parked outside in the sun for 3 hours in Michigan. Sun roof shade open. Tried restarting several times with no luck yet.

Tried to pull into the garage just in case it was overheated. Have it charging now to see if that my force a wake up.

Lariat model here.
Used suggestion above and switched fobs. Worked at next start up. Went back to normal fob the next day and still working. Will update if something new happens.

Thanks Sealevel.

MLMcConnell

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Extended Range (Lariat)
I had this exact issue this morning with a Lightning I drove off the lot only 5 days ago. Got in this morning to start 'er up and the virtual instrument cluster was blank. I could tell from a slight blue glow that the display was on, but it was just a blank screen. I continued on my way to work, parked it and went back about 3 hours later to check it out and all was right with the world again. I'd forgotten my key fob in my office so I used the "phone-as-key", but I don't think it had anything to do with the display returning. My guess is that it was the vehicle waking up from deep sleep mode that reset the display. Anyway....sure hope it doesn't happen again! I'd be interested to know if anyone gets a definitive answer from Ford on this. When I called Ford service this morning, they weren't very helpful. Told me I'd have to leave the vehicle with them for 2 or 3 days just to troubleshoot!

OP
OP
Sealevel

Sealevel

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 XLT Lightning SR
Occupation
Engineer
I had this exact issue this morning with a Lightning I drove off the lot only 5 days ago. Got in this morning to start 'er up and the virtual instrument cluster was blank. I could tell from a slight blue glow that the display was on, but it was just a blank screen. I continued on my way to work, parked it and went back about 3 hours later to check it out and all was right with the world again. I'd forgotten my key fob in my office so I used the "phone-as-key", but I don't think it had anything to do with the display returning. My guess is that it was the vehicle waking up from deep sleep mode that reset the display. Anyway....sure hope it doesn't happen again! I'd be interested to know if anyone gets a definitive answer from Ford on this. When I called Ford service this morning, they weren't very helpful. Told me I'd have to leave the vehicle with them for 2 or 3 days just to troubleshoot!
No input from Ford, but on this forum someone commented that hitting the Start button too soon after unlocking the vehicle MIGHT skip the part of the script that initiates the Instrument Panel. I don't think this is true, but since I read that I've allowed time between when I use the fob to unlock my XLT and when I push the Start button. No repeat occurrence- but you cannot prove a negative.