• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Instrument Cluster Has Gone Dark: FIX post 19

htobin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
I had the center consul go blank one time when starting the truck. After about two or three minutes it came back on and haven't had a problem again
Sponsored

Stalemate

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Mustang, 2007 F-150 XLT, 2023 F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Utility Electrician
This just happened to me. It started up fine, I drove a few hundred feet, hopped out to open a gate (with truck on), drove through, hopped back out to close the gate, and when I got back in the instrument cluster was black. I drove for several more minutes to my home and it never came back. I'll let it sit for a couple hours and if that doesn't work try pulling the fuse.

vvgogh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 F-150 Lightning ER
Has this been traced to a specific version bug? I bought in early May 2023 and received my first over-the-air update on 28 Feb 2024. The instrument cluster never went dark prior to a software update, but maybe it's just rare and coincidental. On 9 March, my instrument cluster went dark. Disconnecting/reconnecting the 12V battery fixed it.

I'll keep fuse 13 in mind if it happens again.

Stalemate

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Mustang, 2007 F-150 XLT, 2023 F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Utility Electrician
Well, I gave it a couple hours and no change but pulling and replacing fuse 13 did the trick. Glad to see "turn the power off and back on" is still the most common fix for any computer problem.

FLSpartan04

First Name
Daryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Lightning XLT ER
Just happened to me as well. Picked up the truck last Wednesday. About 500 miles on it. Cluster went black, but backlight was on. Tried to stop and start multiple times. Eventually just went inside (luckily was at home). Had to run another errand about an hour later. Rectified itself. However, this is a pretty serious safety issue. Maybe ford should make all the instrument cluster data available on the center screen (Tesla mode) so at least there is a safety backup.

Sponsored

christian20

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER (on order)
Happened to me as well earlier today - went out and ran an errand after a short drive, and no improvement on the drive home. Left the voice feedback because this is seeming to be a pretty common issue

edit: was self-resolved the following morning

Last edited:

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
Just had my screen go blank. Tried a couple restarts and no dice. Thankfully I remembered reading this thread. Got home and looked this up to see what the fix was. Pulled lucky number 13 and that did the trick.

I think I'm going to load a GPS app to at least have speed if it happens again.

ctuan13

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1979 Continental, 2022 F150 Lightning, 03 Marauder
Everytime I see a new feature or improvement worth updating my truck for, I see a thread like this showing the new software updates are riddled with serious issues and I'm back to hanging on and chilling at 4.1.3

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
Everytime I see a new feature or improvement worth updating my truck for, I see a thread like this showing the new software updates are riddled with serious issues and I'm back to hanging on and chilling at 4.1.3
That's what I'm on, I haven't received any 6.X updates.

ctuan13

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1979 Continental, 2022 F150 Lightning, 03 Marauder
That's what I'm on, I haven't received any 6.X updates.
Well I'm sure I could get updates if I wanted, but I have updates switched off and my TCU disconnected so, no updates unless I say so lol
Sponsored