• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Instrument Cluster Has Gone Dark: FIX post 19

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
Everyone make sure to report safety issues like this to
https://www.nhtsa.gov/report-a-safety-problem#index
no instrument cluster is a safety defect
I'd like to add that you can also make a report to Ford through the infotainment system. Doing this (I would assume) sends logs from the computer systems in the truck and hopefully will aid Ford in identifying the problem.
Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I had this exact issue this morning with a Lightning I drove off the lot only 5 days ago. Got in this morning to start 'er up and the virtual instrument cluster was blank. I could tell from a slight blue glow that the display was on, but it was just a blank screen. I continued on my way to work, parked it and went back about 3 hours later to check it out and all was right with the world again. I'd forgotten my key fob in my office so I used the "phone-as-key", but I don't think it had anything to do with the display returning. My guess is that it was the vehicle waking up from deep sleep mode that reset the display. Anyway....sure hope it doesn't happen again! I'd be interested to know if anyone gets a definitive answer from Ford on this. When I called Ford service this morning, they weren't very helpful. Told me I'd have to leave the vehicle with them for 2 or 3 days just to troubleshoot!
Hi Michael! I can look into your Lightning's concern on my end. To get started, could you please send a private message over with the name/location of your local Ford dealer and your Lightning's VIN?

4Reeley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lariat
This just happened to me for the first time today (18,000+ miles on the truck). My wife rarely drives the truck and she used the backup FOB to run an errand today. It happened on the 2nd start with the backup FOB.

theUNSTABLE

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Cyber Engineer
Just writing in that this happened to me. I figured I would search to see if it was an issue. And post my "fix"

2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat Standard Range

Truck was at around 35%
Ran up to the store and it was working fine, hopped into the truck to head home and it didn't light up. Took a picture (ignore red blotch, I had a piece of mail there)
Picture to show how the instrument cluster is dark, but main screen is working fine.

Plugged in the truck overnight thinking maybe it was just low battery.
This morning it was still dark. The only thing I've done is install a dash cam, so I figured I would check the fuse box.

According to the manual the instrument cluster fuse, for my vehicle, was number 13.
Opened the fuse box, pulled fuse 13 and it looked fine.
Plugged the fuse back in and now the instrument cluster works.

Figured I would share my experience / "fix"

So if you have a fuse puller, or some needle nose pliers and are comfortable with doing so, pop the fuse and plug it back in. It worked for me.

TL;DR: Pull the [fuse 13 in passenger kick panel] and put it back

Last edited by a moderator:

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Just writing in that this happened to me. I figured I would search to see if it was an issue. And post my "fix"

2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat Standard Range

Truck was at around 35%
Ran up to the store and it was working fine, hopped into the truck to head home and it didn't light up. Took a picture (ignore red blotch, I had a piece of mail there)
Picture to show how the instrument cluster is dark, but main screen is working fine.

Plugged in the truck overnight thinking maybe it was just low battery.
This morning it was still dark. The only thing I've done is install a dash cam, so I figured I would check the fuse box.

According to the manual the instrument cluster fuse, for my vehicle, was number 13.
Opened the fuse box, pulled fuse 13 and it looked fine.
Plugged the fuse back in and now the instrument cluster works.

Figured I would share my experience / "fix"

So if you have a fuse puller, or some needle nose pliers and are comfortable with doing so, pop the fuse and plug it back in. It worked for me.

TL;DR: Pull the fuse and put it back
Just to add, this fuse is in the BCM fuse panel in the passenger footwell area, not the one up front that is referred to in the manual as the “Under hood fuse box.”

Sponsored

DegDeg23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning
I just had the same issue.

2023 XLT Extended Range - ~1600 miles.

Disconnecting and reconnecting the 12volt fixed the problem for me. I tried turning the vehicle off and waiting for accessory power to power down completely, but that didn't do anything.

Once I disconnected and reconnected the 12volt, the Frunk would not close on its own. I had to manually close it, put the truck in gear and then back into park (not sure if this was necessary) and the Frunk resumed working as normal.

mme_and_lightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME 2022 Iced White, 2023 Lightning Platinum
Here is my experience with my MME.

My wife will get in the car, push the start button and as the MME is booting up she will put in drive.

This has once or twice frozen the center console. Turn off and turn back on and wait for the boot up and all is fine.

Do you think anything like this is the issue with the F150L?

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Once I disconnected and reconnected the 12volt, the Frunk would not close on its own. I had to manually close it, put the truck in gear and then back into park (not sure if this was necessary) and the Frunk resumed working as normal.
That’s expected if the frunk is open when you pull the fuse. Not a big deal, but you can avoid by closing the frunk before pulling the fuse.

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, 2023 Mach-E GT-PE
I just had the same issue.

2023 XLT Extended Range - ~1600 miles.

Disconnecting and reconnecting the 12volt fixed the problem for me. I tried turning the vehicle off and waiting for accessory power to power down completely, but that didn't do anything.

Disconnecting the 12V battery...while seemingly a catchall fix for glitches is not without consequences. The repair manual wants you to de-energize the HV battery system before disconnecting the 12V battery (which I will admit most techs probably won't do), and after reconnecting the 12V battery, a lot of learned values will have to be re-learned, and power window initialization steps will also have to be performed. So pulling a specific fuse seems like a smarter choice.

Just like the IPC fuse that @Maquis mentions there were people who also needed to pull the TCU fuse to clear out corrupted data on their 23 models several months ago but chose to disconnect the 12V battery instead. I'm sure it won't be the last time.

And anytime power is interrupted, or modules are programmed using FDRS with the frunk lid open, ..it will first have to be closed manually once, before normal operation using the various buttons and remote will work again.

Attachments

Firepower 2010

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning, 2015 F150 Platinum
Occupation
Contractor
I had the exact thing happen, evening going to dinner with wife, and dark cluster, tried open/close lock unlock, start stop etc no change. Got to dinner, let truck sit, jumped back in and dash working again. less than 200 miles on the clock... Going into dealer tomorrow to check it out along with phantom perimeter warning going off when nothing or no one around the truck.

Sponsored

Firepower 2010

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning, 2015 F150 Platinum
Occupation
Contractor
Pushing into week 2 of truck at the dealer, they have no clue what's going on with my truck and how to fix it... Only 400 miles.. Oh well maybe a lemon..

Vitornis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Lightning 2023
Hi there! Would you send us a private message with your VIN and dealership name and location? I’d like to look into this concern on my end.
I just had the same problem with my 2023 XLT Lightning. I ended up disconnecting and reconnecting the 12v battery and it started working again.

ccullins

First Name
Coby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Retired
Same thing happened to me today with my 2 month old 2023 XLT. Still hasnt resolved, but I will try some of the suggestions here on this post. Thanks!

ccullins

First Name
Coby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Retired
Same thing happened to me today with my 2 month old 2023 XLT. Still hasnt resolved, but I will try some of the suggestions here on this post. Thanks!
Update: Tried turning it off and on several times. Didnt help. Tried a different fob. Didnt help. Let it set for a few hours, then tried again. Didnt help. Went on about my normal day, driving a few places, then all of the sudden after one stop.....bam...its back on again when I start it up. Came back just as mysteriously as it disappeared.

FirstF150InCasco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Driver screen going blank happend to my 2022 ER Lariat late Sunday, 10 March, 2024. Shutting off and restarting did not solve. Let the truck sit overnight and 12 hours later it works fine. Crazy!!
Sponsored