• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Intro: Greetings from YYC

Behemoth60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning XLT ER
I just took advantage of the 6% discount off MSRP and 0% financing that a local dealership was advertising, and signed up to acquire an unsold 2023 XLT. If all goes well, I should pick it up tomorrow.

This is my very first ever 'brand new car' purchase. I am excited to start receiving those 'Car Payments' that I have always heard people brag about. So much to learn!
Sponsored

Adventureboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
Welcome to the team. The forum is full of helpful advice. Is your XLT an ER or SR?

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Welcome & Congrat's on the pending acquisition of your new truck, is it an ER or SR battery?

Ford F-150 Lightning Intro: Greetings from YYC 1714748312060-lf

OP
OP

Behemoth60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning XLT ER
The model I am awaiting is the XLT Extended Range. It has the 312A luxury package, as well as Max Tow and Tow Tech options. I am awaiting the dealer to complete adding on Katskinz leather seat covers, Line-X boxliner and PPF.

I am keen on seeing how it tows. I expect it will be excellent. Will be interested to see how efficiency is affected by different trailers and driving conditions. I have several trailers that I will tow with this truck... a dump trailer for dumping, a boat trailer for boating, and a 3/4 ton military trailer for warfare. I reckon that these will be local trips. I am lucky to have the option where If I am towing any real distance, or towing my 53' flat deck, or 40' LQ enclosed car hauler, I have a Ram 5500 with 585L fuel capacity!. So, I got no range anxiety here. I've heard that is a thing people fret about.

Question: what is the 'common' unit for energy consumption y'all are using? As a physicist, I think in Joules and Meters. J/m. Or J/100m. I suppose m/J could be a thing. But I know that my electrical engineering friends struggle with the math and instead use kw-hr. Such a stupid unit. It's like saying my ICE car gets 23 horsepower-minutes per furlong. So dumb, but.... you know.... they are just engineers, afterall.

Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Question: what is the 'common' unit for energy consumption y'all are using? As a physicist, I think in Joules and Meters. J/m. Or J/100m. I suppose m/J could be a thing. But I know that my electrical engineering friends struggle with the math and instead use kw-hr. Such a stupid unit. It's like saying my ICE car gets 23 horsepower-minutes per furlong. So dumb, but.... you know.... they are just engineers, afterall.

Miles per kilowatt hour which I like to abbreviate as MPK in most of my posts.
USA bias

Look for performance ranges of 1.0 MPK towing to 2.4 and above under perfect weather, NON-lead-foot conditions.

Last edited:

Adventureboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
In Canada (YYC) we tend to use KWh/100km for efficiency. I think there is a switch to change it to km/KWh but I like the bigger 100km block since it's easier for quick trip math. We have 131KWh battery and I get 25-30 in the summer, 30-40 in winter, towing - depends on what you tow and how fast ;-). I tow my small 16 ft Searay and usually land mid to high 30s. It will tow pretty much anything you put behind it with the torque but obviously, range is affected. The bigger the windage, the shorter the range.
That's a big tank on your 5500!

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
OP
OP

Behemoth60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning XLT ER
better than the EARTH marker on the profile.
I was going to go with "Milky Way', but didn't want to put a target on myself for those Andromeda Galaxy jerks to pick on me again. The taunts from the Martians, I can handle. ;)

Question 2. If I venture outside my 'home charger' range, what are the goto apps a guy can rely on to do route planning, specifically planning and accessing charging options. Is the on-board infotainment system sufficient. I have not yet signed up for that Blue Oval Charge Network. Is that the ticket? At initial glance, there seem to be a dozen or more 'EV Charging' apps out there. <Feels like this segment could do with a bit of consolidation> Tesla, Electrify Canada, Flo, Petro-Canada... I need to figure this out.

<Update: Pickup date for the truck is now confirmed for May 8>

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Question 2. If I venture outside my 'home charger' range, what are the goto apps a guy can rely on to do route planning, specifically planning and accessing charging options. Is the on-board infotainment system sufficient. I have not yet signed up for that Blue Oval Charge Network. Is that the ticket? At initial glance, there seem to be a dozen or more 'EV Charging' apps out there. <Feels like this segment could do with a bit of consolidation> Tesla, Electrify Canada, Flo, Petro-Canada... I need to figure this out.

<Update: Pickup date for the truck is now confirmed for May 8>
COngrat's!!

I'll leave the charging services outside of home in Canada to the guys in the great white north, Native Ford Nav has its advantages especially in a cold winter for pre-conditioning the battery enroute, (when they fix it), otherwise, activation via proprietary APP's might be favorable to services that provide frequent customer discounts (EA / EC, Tesla, etc....) in lieu of Blue Oval Charge Network billing at regular toll rates.

Sponsored

ytwytw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lighting ER Lariat
You wanna buy obd2 adapter and abrp premium if plan to tow longer than 100km.

I'm getting 2km per kwh when towing, it tows great, but need some planning when go far

Lucky Larry

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning, RX 350, GMC SIERRA, Pontiac Solstice
Congratulations on the new truck.

For energy usage i prefer the km/kwh units for energy consumption. You can select the units you like under the general settings screen / measurement units. see the attached photo.

Under regular warm weather driving in YYC you can expect to get 4-4.5 km/kwh. (2.5-3.1 mi/kwh). i haven't towed anything yet so i cant comment on energy usage when towing.

As for charging away from home i have activated the blue oval charging network in the Ford pass app and have used the app to activate chargers in Calgary and Edmonton so far. i have also used the Journey app to activate a free dc fast charger at a Mobil gas station.

Note: If you activate the blue oval charging network before the end of May you can reserve / order a free NACS (Tesla connector) to J1772 charging adaptor from Ford. The cut off day for the Free adapter is June 30, 2024. The adapter will allow you to charge at some Tesla Superchargers. You can locate and activate the superchargers through the ford pass app or through the Tesla app if you set up a Tesla account. Below is the link to the ford.ca site to reserve your free adapter.

Ford NACS to J1772 adaptor reservation page

Ford F-150 Lightning Intro: Greetings from YYC IMG_20240507_1902081
Sponsored