• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Is the F150 Lightning a local commuter (based on real world data)?

Mr. Flibble

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Delica L400, Kia Soul EV, Jeep Diesel
Occupation
Computer Nerd
I really am conflicted on the Tesla network opening. My opinion is that the Tesla Charger should be the standard, and there should be an effort to get a discounted (or free if Tesla paid) adapters from CCS to Tesla for owners with CCS cars.
Keep in mind that Tesla is the only car company that uses that connector, everyone else uses CCS - including all the Teslas in Europe. Plus, Ford figured out that using the DCFC pins allows for HIS. I am not sure that the Tesla Connector can support that.
Sponsored

GrokTime

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyotas + incoming F150 Lightning
Finally always carry the following in your frunk. Get this before your lightning gets here. I already have my pack ready.
  • Cheapo 110v EVSE
By cheapo 110v EVSE are you referring to something other than the mobile charger that comes with the Lightning?

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
The mobile charger that comes with the lightning is a 240V. He’s recommending picking up a 110V that will plug into a regular outlet….but that will be slower than molasses.

Here’s what I’m planning to do if I run low. I’m banking on Ford selling 150,000 lightnings next year. And hoping 90% will have Pro Power onboard. Shhhhh…I won’t tell if you don’t.

OP
OP

Nate977p

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Shifting some from the charging network, back to the usable range points.

As I come from the Tesla world of giving you 100% access to the battery, with 90% daily charging and 100% for long-trips (and don't let it sit at 100%), how should I treat the F150 Battery. If 131 kWh is usable, I assume that is about 150 kWh total (I cannot find the number...). So if 100% indicated charge is about 90% charge of the total battery, is it fine to charge to 100% normally, or at least often? I get not every day, but at least couple times a week.

There was a comment about charging to 90% vs 80% on road trips, but it looks like that will be about 50 KW charging, or about 20 minutes of time, so that does not seem worth it.

As I said initially, we were going off the Mach-E having 92% of rated range (based on Car & Driver 70mph test), maybe I was too optimistic, not factoring in the extra drag of the F150L. That being said, looking at the Rivian tests coming in, they have been running pretty close to rated when on highway (and if you factor weather/ A/T tires). So maybe this is just extrapolating data too early. We just got it in our head we were going to have an EV that had a close to 300 (~290) mile real range (320 miles x 92%) from 100%, which was a huge change from the model 3 being about 200 mile real range from 100%, which made a lot of our road trips charge free.

@Silent_Thunder & @oneguynick I appreciate all the data you have put out there and questions answered! If you do not mind sharing some more..... when you get some more drives on a typical highway stint, do you mind sharing efficiency? If not, no worries, you have done so much already!

So looking at numbers...

If we leave with 100%, drive down to 5-10% (sounds like I can trust EA to trust that enough. and will go lower once I build that trust). Charge to 80% and repeat.

If we can see 2 miles/kWh at highway speeds, that's about 235 miles on the first stint (going to 10%), and about 180 miles at each 80% chargeup. That's about 85% driving, 15% charging for a 400 mile trip, or about 75% driving and 25% charging on a longer trip. Thats not killer and pretty inline with the 3. So the shorted sub 400 mile trips should be better!

Does anyone have efficiency hit on the Mach-E by the cold (New England winter or similar)? Like I said, I see 68% of rated in winter on my Model 3 between the temp and studded snows.

OP
OP

Nate977p

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The mobile charger that comes with the lightning is a 240V. He’s recommending picking up a 110V that will plug into a regular outlet….but that will be slower than molasses.

Here’s what I’m planning to do if I run low. I’m banking on Ford selling 150,000 lightnings next year. And hoping 90% will have Pro Power onboard. Shhhhh…I won’t tell if you don’t.
Does the F150L not come with a 110/240v charger? I just assumed as the Tesla TMC is all I am accustomed too... I assumed it was the same - get a charger that can do both and I need to buy a few different heads for different outlet types?

Sponsored
OP
OP

Nate977p

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Keep in mind that Tesla is the only car company that uses that connector, everyone else uses CCS - including all the Teslas in Europe. Plus, Ford figured out that using the DCFC pins allows for HIS. I am not sure that the Tesla Connector can support that.
I have no idea on the bi-directional? Would be really shortsighted if not..... But who knows, they get real stubborn sometimes!

Again, I doubt it will ever happen, but if you look at % of chargers and % of cars on the road, mixed with the ease of it, it would make a lot of sense to be the standard! But lots of issues, and politics to overcome!

Ken

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER
Does the F150L not come with a 110/240v charger? I just assumed as the Tesla TMC is all I am accustomed too... I assumed it was the same - get a charger that can do both and I need to buy a few different heads for different outlet types?
The lightning mobile charger is supposed to be the same as the MME, and from the videos I've watched, there's an interchangeable plug for both 110V and 220V

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass

FordLightningMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150

You just need two Lightnings and a two lane highway. Plug into each other, set the cruise to the same speed, and drive forever!

Sponsored

GrokTime

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I am pretty sure the mobile charger works with both 110/120V and 240V. Is this not the case?

GrokTime

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Big caution on using the Ford Mobile charger with a dryer outlet. Dryer outlets are normally on a 30amp breaker, with wiring for that amount of power. The Ford Mobile charger is rated at 32amps. That requires a 40amp breaker, and the wiring for it. Pulling 32 amps from a dryer outlet may pop a breaker, or it may melt an outlet or wiring or cause a fire.
So in order to safely use a dryer outlet we need to buy a 3rd party mobile charging cable that draw fewer amps?

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
So in order to safely use a dryer outlet we need to buy a 3rd party mobile charging cable that draw fewer amps?
Yes. 24amps max. 30amp breaker.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I am pretty sure the mobile charger works with both 110/120V and 240V. Is this not the case?
Everything we have seen says it is the same mobile EVSE as the Mach-e which does both voltages.
Sponsored