• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Is there any reason NOT to get the Max Tow package?

f150lifer75

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 F150XL, ordering a 2021 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Pipeline Controller
+1 for Max Tow with the 3.5L EcoBoost
+1 for forgoing the FX4 package to save payload
+1 Co-pilot Assist

KR 601A, 3.5L EB, Tow Mirrors, 4x4 (not FX), Co-pilot Assist, ProPower 2kW = 1536 payload
Keystone Cougar 29BHS (34') 7800#, 900# Tongue (per CAT Scales)

F150 and Trailer.jpeg
Do you have the factory Class IV hitch or did you have to upgrade to a Class V?
Sponsored

DBL R

First Name
Jarred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 powerboost
Occupation
PA
The max towing package is fairly useless on a PB. No option for larger fuel tank, already equipped with locking dif and 3.7x rear end. Also the max tow reduces the payload numbers, and with the Pb you’ll run out of payload before tow numbers.

f150lifer75

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 F150XL, ordering a 2021 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Pipeline Controller

EatDirtFartDust

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT, 2015 Lincoln MKZ
Occupation
Ford service manager
I have an XLT 3.5eco with max tow and my truck still rides like a Cadillac.
And I can tow 13,800lbs (my camper is about 10k-11k loaded).
Love being able to go 700 miles between fillups when I'm not towing, too.

Sponsored

coloradobrandon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lariat 4x4 3.5 PowerBoost
+1 for Max Tow with the 3.5L EcoBoost
+1 for forgoing the FX4 package to save payload
+1 Co-pilot Assist

KR 601A, 3.5L EB, Tow Mirrors, 4x4 (not FX), Co-pilot Assist, ProPower 2kW = 1536 payload
Keystone Cougar 29BHS (34') 7800#, 900# Tongue (per CAT Scales)

F150 and Trailer.jpeg
Thanks for posting all of the trailer info! I have a similar setup (26' / 7,000 # / 800 # Tongue) and am trying to decide between the 3.5 EB and PowerBoost and Max Tow or Standard Tow. I wanted a PB but I think that's cutting the payload too close for comfort. Any regrets with your setup?

notabot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
The max towing package is fairly useless on a PB. No option for larger fuel tank, already equipped with locking dif and 3.7x rear end. Also the max tow reduces the payload numbers, and with the Pb you’ll run out of payload before tow numbers.
Mine has the 36 gal and increased towing capacity is good. Weighty items go in/on trailer, not in/on truck...

Jeff1024

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F150
I went back and forth on this a lot. The new Single leaf / single overload spring in the new non-max tow trucks really makes the decision difficult. In previous generations it was a no brainer as the rear suspension rode the same. The new single leaf setup really really rides nice.

We drove a max tow and a non-max tow back to back. There was a noticeable difference.

I wanted the 3:55 gears and the 36gal tank. We tow a boat that is close to 6,500 - 6,750lb. I wanted either standard towing or max towing just so I could have more than 7,000lb of capability.

In the end Max Tow ended up being cheaper than 3:55 + 36 Gallon Tank + Standard Towing.

I couldn't justify spending more money for less capability so max tow it is. The ride quality may take a little hit, but I will smile every time I am on the boat ramp and set the parking brake on my just a little bit larger rear brakes :)

3DogKnight

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Escape Titanium - 2021 F150 XLT
Occupation
100% retired
I went back and forth on this a lot. The new Single leaf / single overload spring in the new non-max tow trucks really makes the decision difficult. In previous generations it was a no brainer as the rear suspension rode the same. The new single leaf setup really really rides nice.

We drove a max tow and a non-max tow back to back. There was a noticeable difference.

I wanted the 3:55 gears and the 36gal tank. We tow a boat that is close to 6,500 - 6,750lb. I wanted either standard towing or max towing just so I could have more than 7,000lb of capability.

In the end Max Tow ended up being cheaper than 3:55 + 36 Gallon Tank + Standard Towing.

I couldn't justify spending more money for less capability so max tow it is. The ride quality may take a little hit, but I will smile every time I am on the boat ramp and set the parking brake on my just a little bit larger rear brakes :)
My previous truck was a 2016 Silverado 2500HD double cab. That was a really good dependable truck but it rode like it had no suspension at all. My 2021 XLT Supercrew has max tow and the "ride quality" as you stated is a huge improvement over the 2500. Not bitching, not bragging, just stating.

DBL R

First Name
Jarred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 powerboost
Occupation
PA
Mine has the 36 gal and increased towing capacity is good. Weighty items go in/on trailer, not in/on truck...
max trailer for anything other than powerboost makes since. Due to the battery the PB is unable to get the larger fuel tank.

Sponsored

Jeff1024

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F150
The only thing that really concerns me about max tow is the more traditional spring pack. The new 1+1 setup rides so nice, and the Max Tow springs are much firmer. I would love the updated ride but I guess I am old, I just couldn't get comfortable /w the idea of towing /w a single spring and overload.

Our boat isnt terribly tongue heavy but we are over the 500lb WC limit by 50lb or so. I had visions of the front end pointed to the sky /w the rear end on the ground. I know it wouldnt be that bad, and I know we could do airbags or something if it was, but I also like how the boat rides on the traditional sping pack and just said max tow it is.

notabot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
max trailer for anything other than powerboost makes since. Due to the battery the PB is unable to get the larger fuel tank.
Maybe I missed something, please pardon my senility. FWIW, my lariat CC PB has the 36 gallon tank...

pkinneb

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 & 2018 MX5's, 2021 F150 PB Platinum
Maybe I missed something, please pardon my senility. FWIW, my lariat CC PB has the 36 gallon tank...
From Ford website under Max Tow Option:

36 Gallon Fuel tank (NA with 3.5L PowerBoost Full Hybrid V6 or 3.0L Diesel Engine)

notabot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
All y'all are correct, no 36 gallon tank. Looked it up, it is a 30.6 gallon tank. No big sweat... If/when I need extra fuel, all of my spare tanks will be full and strapped down in the bed.

Thank you for the good info!!
Sponsored

Attachments