• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Just realized, I’ve never used my Park Assist

Joneii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla MY
By the time I left the spot the next day, the car in front of me was gone.
Wow! Your picture gave me the confidence to try it again yesterday when I needed to parallel park in a spot that was big enough, but would be tight due to vehicles on the other side of the narrow street preventing my front end from swinging too far away from the parking location on the initial move. I wasn’t comfortable with executing the maneuver, but the truck indicated it “found a spot”. I gave it a try and it swung me in there quite smoothly. I’m now a believer in this feature for parallel parking—all the other parking types I think I’ll just do myself. Thanks for sharing your daring!
Sponsored

bellyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE & 2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Wow! Your picture gave me the confidence to try it again yesterday when I needed to parallel park in a spot that was big enough, but would be tight due to vehicles on the other side of the narrow street preventing my front end from swinging too far away from the parking location on the initial move. I wasn’t comfortable with executing the maneuver, but the truck indicated it “found a spot”. I gave it a try and it swung me in there quite smoothly. I’m now a believer in this feature for parallel parking—all the other parking types I think I’ll just do myself. Thanks for sharing your daring!
Yeah, I try not to use it too often, since I do consider myself to be a pretty expert parallel parker and I would hate to fall out of practice, but in this big truck, the park assist does really come in handy sometimes.

OP
OP
kbuicker

kbuicker

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning
Nice!! It’ll encourage the rest of us to try. Amazing feature for sure!

sd25

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX, F-150 Lightning Lariat ER, Rivian R1T
Holy crap that gives me the palm sweats just looking at that…it got you in there, but how did YOU get it out?
Apparently the park assist can get you OUT of spaces too!

I just found this out after checking the manual. Haven't had the opportunity to try it out yet.

Ford F-150 Lightning Just realized, I’ve never used my Park Assist 1692560035793

Ffxdude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning
Apparently the park assist can get you OUT of spaces too!

I just found this out after checking the manual. Haven't had the opportunity to try it out yet.

1692560035793.png
Interesting, I didn’t know that either, one of these days I’ll have to parallel park again… however to get out of that space it’d need to work something like this….lol

Sponsored

Wsl346

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Volvo XC60 T8, Many Bicycles
I have used it a few times on my Lightning and my Mach-E. I have only used it on the Mach-E to test it out and see how well it works. With the Lightning, I have had to use it a few times. I live in the city and the Mach-E gets the garage, but the Lightning doesn't fit, so I am stuck parking the Lightning on the street. A few times when only very tight spots were left on the street, I have used the Park Assist and it has managed to squeeze me into some VERY tight spots with only 2-3 inches left at either end.
1692281196637.png
Yes! I’ve found the parallel parking assist to be excellent. I’ve used it to squeeze into some spots that I wouldn’t dare try myself. The assist feature makes me look like a pro in those cases.

LightningCanuckNB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
I have used it a few times on my Lightning and my Mach-E. I have only used it on the Mach-E to test it out and see how well it works. With the Lightning, I have had to use it a few times. I live in the city and the Mach-E gets the garage, but the Lightning doesn't fit, so I am stuck parking the Lightning on the street. A few times when only very tight spots were left on the street, I have used the Park Assist and it has managed to squeeze me into some VERY tight spots with only 2-3 inches left at either end.
1692281196637.png
The problem with this is one of these are going to happen

- One of the other people is highly likely to hit you on the way out.
- You will probably hit one of them on the way out, because there is no "auto escape from tight parking space" function.

Whitewater64

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY 23 F150 Lightning Lariat ER Max Tow Star White
Occupation
Singer/Conductor
Demonstrated when I test drove mine with salesman. Definitely takes a little to get used to. The driver controls the speed with the brake and lets the vehicle steer. He said he had a gal test driving try the parking. She didn’t realize she had to use the brake and he said they parked at 10 mph and he thought they were going to crash but she made it in.
I believe that was first generation. Now you hold the Park Assist button and the truck does EVERYTHING else - shifting, turning, running accelerator and brake. It sometimes gets REALLY close to other vehicles, but I haven't hit anything yet. The biggest weakness is that it's supposed to FIND the parking spot for you. It does work, but it often skips spaces I am SURE I could have gotten into.

In other words... it might not save you time. And it might scare the crap out of you when it does work. :)

bellyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE & 2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
The problem with this is one of these are going to happen

- One of the other people is highly likely to hit you on the way out.
- You will probably hit one of them on the way out, because there is no "auto escape from tight parking space" function.
When I have parked this tight or close to it, I have always ensured that there is ample space in front of the vehicle in front of my for egress and behind the car behind me for them to back up and then pull out. No way am I going to wedge a car in to the point that they have to ding me to get out. But, also, when given the choice between parking four blocks away in a tight spot or in front of my house on view of my Security cameras to see if anyone happens to ding my car, I will I'll take the tighter spot.

columbiaskier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER
Park assist! I’ve thought about it, but I’ve not ever used it since getting my truck back in june of 22!

have you used yours?
Same here never used. Didn’t even bother setting up trailer backup assist as I tried it on my old F-150 a few times and found myself reverting back to the old technique.

Im chalking it up to a generational preference.

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Holy crap that gives me the palm sweats just looking at that…it got you in there, but how did YOU get it out?
Interesting, I didn’t know that either, one of these days I’ll have to parallel park again… however to get out of that space it’d need to work something like this….lol
If it gets you into the space, it also gets you out of the space without any issue.

It always amazes me how people buy a $60 - $100,000 vehicle and then find out on a forum or Facebook about capabilities that the vehicle has that are clearly described in the manual.

Levi8than

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 f150 lightning lariat
Occupation
Electrics Engineer
Not correct. It needs ONE other vehicle, not two.
For parallel parking, maybe.
But for a lot with spaces, it doesn't seem to detect empty spots unless they're between 2 cars. At least I haven't had any luck with it.

I'm in the same boat as most other people: I've tried it several times, but usually it fails to detect spots, and then I've never had the guts to let it finish parking when did find a spot.

But I also am comfortable parallel parking and using my mirrors to back into a space, so I don't really need it.

Ffxdude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning
If it gets you into the space, it also gets you out of the space without any issue.

It always amazes me how people buy a $60 - $100,000 vehicle and then find out on a forum or Facebook about capabilities that the vehicle has that are clearly described in the manual.
Just because you get in a space doesn't mean you're getting out...
Ford F-150 Lightning Just realized, I’ve never used my Park Assist PXL_20230328_191933359~2

I guess I should have spent my time in my truck reading the online manual waiting for the 🤡 in front to come back.

Lightning Rod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
CNC PROGRAMMER/MACHINIST
Park assist and trailer backup assist are 2 features I've never used. Never used the trailer assist on my old f150 either.

Tried the park assist once, it was a waste of time but if you don't know how to backup or park it's great.

I tried the trailer assist and it works pretty damn good. I was impressed.

FordBookends

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning Lariat, ‘68 Mustang Conv, 65 Mustang
Occupation
Engineer
It needs two cars to park. I will never park between two cars. The truck is too wide for that.
I wish it would look at the lines on the parking lot to park.
I wonder what the other vehicle owners do upon returning to their cars with only a few inches of space to their doors if they don’t have “park assist” to help extract themselves. Similarly with parallel parking, if the truck leaves less space than another driver is comfortable with when trying to exit their spot…
Sponsored