• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Odd EA charging experience

brownhousechris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT
I stopped at my first EA station tonight (2023 XLT SR). I activated the charger through the FordPass app, plugged it in and it got started. The charger gave the rate as 156 kWh. I hit the bathroom and unplugged after 5 minutes. In that time the SOC went from ~25% to ~40%, can't remember the exact numbers.

But when I unplugged the charger said it had delivered 56 kWh. Even at the Max charge rate this can't be right? This was one of the EA Hyper Fast chargers, but I can't understand where the 56 kWh comes from. I'm not mad as it's just the free credits that came with the truck, but I'm curious about why the charger thinks it delivered so much more than it did. Has anyone come across this?
Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
This happened to someone on the Mach-E forum. The conclusion was that they were charged with the kWh from last person there. EA screw up. I think they were paying, not using the Ford gratis kWh.
Did all 56 get deducted from your balance?

OP
OP

brownhousechris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT
This happened to someone on the Mach-E forum. The conclusion was that they were charged with the kWh from last person there. EA screw up. I think they were paying, not using the Ford gratis kWh.
Did all 56 get deducted from your balance?
Yup, I had 56 taken off of my 250 kW balance. The odd thing is that the charger listed the elapsed charging time as 5 minutes, which was correct.

USA EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Pro, 2015 FIAT 500e
Worth contacting EA, and if they don't give a satisfactory response contact rateyourcharge on X/Twitter.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
What is the location of this charge station in NH?

Sponsored
OP
OP

brownhousechris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
It's in Seabrook NH:

https://www.electrifyamerica.com/locate-charger/nh/seabrook/700-lafayette-rd/100623/

I used the Hyper Fast 350 kW charger, I wonder if I should have stuck to the Ultra Fast 150 kW charger, since the truck is capped at 150 kW anyway
I don't think that's a problem using the higher rating though we don't take full advantage, supposedly the trucks use more of the peak 150KW charging. I'd only be concerned with blocking out vehicles that would have taken better advantage of the upper limits +150 to 350.

Five minutes should have only delivered 30KWH on peak charging capable vehicles, so 56KWH is definitely a mis-billing, get your credits restored, [~41 KWH ]

OP
OP

brownhousechris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT
Out of curiosity I pulled my charge log and FordPass account balance
Ford F-150 Lightning Odd EA charging experience Screenshot_20231111-073935
Ford F-150 Lightning Odd EA charging experience Screenshot_20231111-073910

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Save those screen grab's the values do not balance, 98KWH pack x .15 is 14.7KWH

Cfieldsj

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning platinum
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Had this happen to me last week at EA in Royce City, Tx. I Charged using Plug & Pay for about 10 minutes at max 133kw and was charged for 91kWh (they took it from my Ford allotment). At max, it should have been just under 13 kWh! First time I ever used EA—very bad experience. Doubt I’ll ever go there again!!! Something’s really broken.

Sponsored

On the Road with Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Pro
Occupation
Real estate/biz consultant
The responses on this thread express surprise, but from my perspective - over 70 EA charging sessions - it is just business as usual for Electrify America. It is the worst company in the United States and its appallingly bad reliability, combined with arguably fraudulent practices, may single-handedly kill/delay the adoption of EVs. Alternatives such as the Tesla Supercharger network cannot come too soon.

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
It is the worst company in the United States
Hey now, there's the other EA - Electronic Arts that's worse, and Comcast exists. one of the top 5 worst probably, top 10 for sure, but it's not quite #1

OP
OP

brownhousechris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT
I have contacted EA through their website, let's see if they get back to me. I thought the charger, the convenience and the speed were excellent, hopefully this is some sort of glitch they can fix.

OP
OP

brownhousechris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT
Welp, EA wrote me back asking for specifics about the charge session. Not a terrible response time. Let's see where this goes
Sponsored