• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored
OP
OP

mr.Magoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER, AMB
I'm using this box / case.
https://www.waveshare.com/product/r...ts/compute-module-4-cat/cm4-io-base-box-a.htm

They do have a very similar one with UPS/ backup but it has some flaws(been there done that) so I wouldn't recommend it, the previous one is much better and half the cost.
Plus with the delayed power off on the accessory power you don't really need a UPS / backup.

I'll probably post an image of my setup this weekend, I'm at a point where it works quite well - although it isn't pretty.
Sponsored

viennaxmas

First Name
Sarah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
Thanks for sharing all the information. I use Apple Car Play, so I will not be able to do the split screen easily. I may still try to add such a setup.

At the moment, I use Home Assistant to control charging to balance overall power consumption of the house (e.g. pause charging when the dryer is turned on.) Unfortunately, I have not yet found a good way to capture the SOC while charging. Maybe your suggestion would help.

Ford F-150 Lightning Lightning Flight Recorder / Black Box 1691103014643

OP
OP

mr.Magoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER, AMB
At the moment, I use Home Assistant to control charging to balance overall power consumption of the house (e.g. pause charging when the dryer is turned on.) Unfortunately, I have not yet found a good way to capture the SOC while charging. Maybe your suggestion would help.
There's not really any "good" way of doing it, not that I know of anyway.
If you go the OBD route you'll have to keep the truck on.
If you go the Ford web-scraping route they'll kick you off FordPass

The best route is probably your charger IF it supports it.

The "hacked together" version would be to have an OBD reader / black box report SoC and remaining kW to home assistant while you're driving (I do this), and then calculate a guesstimated SoC based on the charge level when you plugged in and how much juice you have added.

theUNSTABLE

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Cyber Engineer
Hey @mr.Magoo

I have just stumbled upon this thread while I am researching OBD data.
I recently posted about my setup for better charge logs, which I'm calling LightningROD (link to my post).

I am looking into either supporting OBD, or downloading from OBD, but it is 100% new to me.

I think I've gathered your setup goes as following:
  • RaspberryPi connected to vehicle via OBD
  • Pi is either logging live data, or reading recorded data via OBD
  • Pi is uploading data to InfluxDB / Hass
  • Grafana for display
Do you know if the vehicle is logging this data, and your Pi is reading from the log?
Or is the Pi logging the data from the live stats?
- If it's live view you would obviously need to have this powered nearly all the time, and only be able to get data from install forward.​
- This is the hurdle I am trying to overcome​

I'm curious if using an OBD reader would allow the user to get historical data from any "onboard" logs - if there are any.

I'm also curious what type additional data there is available.

While playing around with the API I found the charge logs, and these contained so much more data than what was presented in the FordPass app, which lead me to create my own thing.

Ideally I would LOVE to integrate an OBD reader - download all data that's in the truck and send it to my database.

Theoretically there could be potential for data logs with
  • ProPower Onboard
  • Miles gained from braking regen
  • Battery temperature
  • Coolant temperature
  • Temperatures during charging
  • etc
This would bypass the API and the "Lock Out" potential, contain more stats to display in graphs, and be able to be 100% self hosted for privacy.

You have made tremendous progress and I'd love to tap your knowledge about possibly integrating more data points for LightningROD, or work with you to create something fellow Lightning / FordEV owners can use.

Last edited:
OP
OP

mr.Magoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER, AMB

Howdy !
I noticed your project here and on Reddit and it's very nice indeed, my concern would be the "lockout" so I'm carefully observing at this point ;)

One of the "flaws" (nature of the beast) of the black box is that if the truck isn't "running" you're not getting any data, it's not my fault, it's just how OBD operates.

So, yes, I do have a Pi4 CM because it supports m2 SSD natively (via PCI) rather than USB like the standard PI's, now, with the new (launched this week) Pi5 things will change.
But, you can do it with any Pi, I don't think it's that resource heavy, so you could probably get away with a Pi3 or even a Pi Zero, but the SSD comes in handy when storing data.

The "link" is Truck >> OBD >> Adapter >> Pi >> InfluxDB >> Grafana, and I use CustomApp on Android to get it on the screen in the car (it allows you to turn any web-link to an Android Auto App).

I do all this through Node-Red running on a Pi Lite OS.

OBD is by request, nothing is stored, so what you request / ask for is then and there.
It's a pretty basic ping-pong protocol, in the sense that you set the module you want the data from, and then request a specific data (PID), the truck (OBD) responds with the values and you then process them.

Check out this thread for PID's (data you can ask for).
https://www.f150lightningforum.com/forum/threads/pid-list-to-monitor-your-lightning.13563/
It's by no means complete, but it's a starting point and, quite frankly, I haven't found that many worth adding that isn't in that list.
But, as you mention, all the temperatures are there, if you're DC fast charging you can see that when the battery reaches a certain temp it starts to throttle the charge rate.

There's a bunch of stuff though, one thing I always found "annoying" is that we/they/Ford doesn't display distance on the parking sensors (Tesla does this and it's helpful to know if your "RED" warning is 3ft away or 1"... I blew it off as poor implementation, not having the information, etc.
But, oh, no... there's data (PIDs) in/for the truck giving you distance in 0-1000cm !?:eek:

Miles gained by regen would be VERY hard to figure out, you can read current from/to motors along with battery capacity, etc. but these are all snapshots in a moment in time, over serial communication with a relatively low baudrate, so any type of "realtime" processing of data ain't happening.

I log the data every 20s, unless you activate "sport mode" in which case I log a subset of parameters every second, still no way near realtime and OBD never will be, it wasn't intended to...

I'm all for a project and I'm happy to share anything you could use.
I'm more of a basement hacker, I don't code for a living and most my stuff isn't all that pretty but it gets the job done - if you know what I mean.
Sponsored