• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Lightning ER Lariat
Occupation
Fun-Employed
I'm thinking it was approaching 100.
the “100” number came from the CNBC reporting, where the Ford rep interview said the module issue effected “less than” 100

take for what it will

my module replacement took all of ~1.5 days

parts already on hand when my truck arrived

so, if the pieces are in place (parts and tech), it’s no more or less involved than many other drivetrain repairs
Sponsored

Steve_A71

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariat, Fusion PHEV
Occupation
Ford Technician
Thanks for sharing. I’m curious if all ford certified dealerships will have this equipment to test out our batteries. I’m sure they will have to. Would love to see battery degradation at 50k miles. Even better if ford made service mode like teslas have now
Yes, all dealers that are EV certified will have all required test equipment, connectors, lifting equipment and most of all trained certified EV technicians (I myself am 1 of 3 at my dealer). We also have DC charging plugs outside the service bay, and 2 inside the shop, in my dealership we are working on installing an outlet for 120v charging for diagnostic purposes.

Steve_A71

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariat, Fusion PHEV
Occupation
Ford Technician
I could be wrong, but if I remember correctly, neither the bed nor cab have to come off. The entire battery housing simply drops down from below.
That is correct, the drive shaft and any other interference is removed and the battery is lowered out of the truck from the bottom. There is not enough room to work on anything if you remove the bed. I prefer taking the battery out, for the room, lighting, and safety.

MurphysLaww

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat Lightning ER,Cayman,Miata,Q7
Occupation
Systems Engineer
The question we all, I'm sure will have is how much easier will these be, long term, to service. We hear less moving parts, and I sure want to believe that. Wonder how dealerships are going to deal with just selling one truck or car to a person, if it possibly will go a million miles. If these, ultimately, end up more reliable, I imagine that is going to cut into dealership revenue.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
That is correct, the drive shaft and any other interference is removed and the battery is lowered out of the truck from the bottom. There is not enough room to work on anything if you remove the bed. I prefer taking the battery out, for the room, lighting, and safety.
Drive shaft?

Sponsored
OP
OP

Quest

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
The question we all, I'm sure will have is how much easier will these be, long term, to service. We hear less moving parts, and I sure want to believe that. Wonder how dealerships are going to deal with just selling one truck or car to a person, if it possibly will go a million miles. If these, ultimately, end up more reliable, I imagine that is going to cut into dealership revenue.
In over 100 years of making cars , no one has made "1" that didn't have problems.
I doubt I will see that 1 in my lifetime!
Automotive Techs need not worry

Ford Senior Master

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Pro, 2023.5 MachE on the way
Occupation
Service Manager
Yes, all dealers that are EV certified will have all required test equipment, connectors, lifting equipment and most of all trained certified EV technicians (I myself am 1 of 3 at my dealer). We also have DC charging plugs outside the service bay, and 2 inside the shop, in my dealership we are working on installing an outlet for 120v charging for diagnostic purposes.
I second what Steve is saying. Dealers that are certified have all the needed equipment and most have several techs with the HV battery training which is actually the next level above the regular EV training.
Anyone that thinks Ford proactively contacting customers with a battery issue is a bad thing is wrong. Imagine if Ford had been able to monitor 6.0 diesels, 3.5 Ecoboost timing issues, 5.0 oil consumption issues, 1.5 liter overheating issues and all the various DPS6/6f35/6f50 and 10 speed trans issues. How much could have been saved for both the consumers and manufacturers? We are actually blessed that the technology exists to detect these concerns remotely and early in the life cycle. These repairs now will help prevent future problems. It would have really sucked if we had to wait for another 200k to be built to decide there is a problem. In my 27 years as a Ford tech and Service Manager I have never felt as secure about the product as I am now with the Mach E and Lightning.

jdmackes

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Pro
Do you think that it would be possible in the future to add modules to the truck? Like to take it from a standard range to an extended?

davehu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lighting Lariat ER, Iconic Silver
Occupation
retired
the “100” number came from the CNBC reporting, where the Ford rep interview said the module issue effected “less than” 100

take for what it will

my module replacement took all of ~1.5 days

parts already on hand when my truck arrived

so, if the pieces are in place (parts and tech), it’s no more or less involved than many other drivetrain repairs
You got my attention. I watched this video a while back interested as my Lariat is caught in the production stop on 2/5. Mine had been built but was waiting for a spray in bedliner. It hasn't left the lot it's been parked in. I surmised that replacing the module even at the Ford plant with personel doing nothing else. would take at least 4 hours. But if your experience of 12 hours is correct it offers further explanation of why it's taking them so long to get my battery module swapped out. My guess is they had to fix 1500 - 2000 Lightnings. Surely they set up to do more than one at a time, but .....how many?
Sponsored