• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

idahospud

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lighting, Indian Roadmaster
Occupation
Commercial Real Estate
This is pretty typical for me.: 285-295 miles at 90% for my Platinum.

Ford F-150 Lightning Lightning Real World Range -- What's Yours? 1662989799232
Sponsored

Last edited:

p52Ranch

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XLT Lightning, Badlands 7MT, New Holland 4030
I’m in the middle of a return trip home across the eastern KS charging abyss. I will put together a comprehensive trip analysis. But I have a couple of observations while I’m sitting in Chanute KS on a L2 charger getting enough Juice to get home. XLT SR.
Cooler weather has a significant impact on range.

- Driving to KC speed control set to 62 mph 196.5 miles covered. Started with 100% arrived with 22%. M/KWh showed 2.4. No wind. Temps started at 90 and cooled to 73.

-Return trip temps started at 74 degrees and have cooled to 60. No wind driving the exact same route and speed. HVAC off. Getting 2.3 M/KWh and dropping as it cools.
-This morning made an early run to the KCI airport started with a cold truck @55 degrees F. HVAC was set to 66. Lost 12 (net) miles of range on a 60 mile round trip. (72 miles loss on a 60 mile trip),
- Finally I haven’t found any indicator when the cabin heat is on when in auto mode. I could tell with trip energy that cabin heat was being consumed. On the airport run 10% of the trip energy went to battery and cabin conditioning.

Last edited:

Solar_EE

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning XLT Ioniq 6 AWD
Occupation
electrical engineer
One highway trip and several demonstration rides for my friends- they like the acceleration! My "Trip 1" shows my total for the truck so far- just had it for 10 days. 2.7 miles per kWh for my XLT SR so far, I get 3.2 miles per kWh on 30-40mph trips around town.
Ford F-150 Lightning Lightning Real World Range -- What's Yours? F150_Trip1_20220912e

Commodore

First Name
Rory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC Sierra, XLT Lightning
Occupation
Pharmacist
Has anyone been left beside the road, yet?

Does AAA membership help with towing ?

Arthur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning XLT, Mach-E
My XLT SR has similar numbers, 2.7-2.8 miles/kwh for a mixture of highway (~1/3) and local roads (~2/3).

One highway trip and several demonstration rides for my friends- they like the acceleration! My "Trip 1" shows my total for the truck so far- just had it for 10 days. 2.7 miles per kWh for my XLT SR so far, I get 3.2 miles per kWh on 30-40mph trips around town.
F150_Trip1_20220912e.jpg

Sponsored

Maximum Effort

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Self employed
Has anyone been left beside the road, yet?

Does AAA membership help with towing ?
not sure about AAA but doesn’t ford road side assistance include towing if you run out? That was what it said in some of the original emails when we ordered.

2wheeltraveler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat Rapid Red
ER Lariat, 1,705mi. Never seen above 3mi/kWh, even in the city. Lifetime average of 2.0 mi/kWh. Currently seeing my best 100% charge at 298 miles.

It's been consistently 85-100 degrees since delivery, 30/70 city/hwy mix. Hwy speeds 70-75. Adaptive cruise and bluecruise used as often as possible. AC always on, Auto at medium setting, with seat cooler. Radio on @ 40% volume. Been driving fairly conservatively the last 1k miles trying to improve efficiency.

One pedal on, however I tested with it off and didn't see any appreciable change in the numbers.

Modifications: Tonneau cover and PPF

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I’m in the middle of a return trip home across the eastern KS charging abyss. I will put together a comprehensive trip analysis. But I have a couple of observations while I’m sitting in Chanute KS on a L2 charger getting enough Juice to get home. XLT SR.
Cooler weather has a significant impact on range.

- Driving to KC speed control set to 62 mph 196.5 miles covered. Started with 100% arrived with 22%. M/KWh showed 2.4. No wind. Temps started at 90 and cooled to 73.

-Return trip temps started at 74 degrees and have cooled to 60. No wind driving the exact same route and speed. HVAC off. Getting 2.3 M/KWh and dropping as it cools.
-This morning made an early run to the KCI airport started with a cold truck @55 degrees F. HVAC was set to 66. Lost 12 (net) miles of range on a 60 mile round trip. (72 miles loss on a 60 mile trip),
- Finally I haven’t found any indicator when the cabin heat is on when in auto mode. I could tell with trip energy that cabin heat was being consumed. On the airport run 10% of the trip energy went to battery and cabin conditioning.
Wait until you see the range reduction in the winter!

One thing to remember with cooler weather. Even if you don't run heat, you are still pushing through thicker (more dense) air which will take more energy. Especially at highway speeds.

p52Ranch

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Wait until you see the range reduction in the winter!

One thing to remember with cooler weather. Even if you don't run heat, you are still pushing through thicker (more dense) air which will take more energy. Especially at highway speeds.
I did some further calculations on my trip once I got home. Other than the temperature difference, the weather on the route to and from KC was identical, no wind and dry roads. Ultimately with a 20 degree drop in temperature on my return I consumed 5% more battery than the trip to KC. That 5% ended up being 12 miles of range.

Temperatures averaged 83 degrees going to KC and averaged 63 degrees on the return. There is a net 400 foot drop in Elevation from KC back to Bartlesville so I had that in my favor but still used 5% more battery.

I even had the HVAC off the entire way on the return. Route Trip energy going to KC was at 96%. Route trip energy on the return was 97%. Exterior Temperature energy was at 1% both ways (battery cooling going to KC and a bit of warming halfway on the return.) Accessories always seems to be 2%.

Sponsored

p52Ranch

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Do you have the standard All season tire or the upgraded AT tire?
The XLT SR comes with the 18" Michelin Primacy XT all terrain tire. Unlike a Lariat, there is not an option for an all season tire with the SR battery.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
I did some further calculations on my trip once I got home. Other than the temperature difference, the weather on the route to and from KC was identical, no wind and dry roads. Ultimately with a 20 degree drop in temperature on my return I consumed 5% more battery than the trip to KC. That 5% ended up being 12 miles of range.

Temperatures averaged 83 degrees going to KC and averaged 63 degrees on the return. There is a net 400 foot drop in Elevation from KC back to Bartlesville so I had that in my favor but still used 5% more battery.

I even had the HVAC off the entire way on the return. Route Trip energy going to KC was at 96%. Route trip energy on the return was 97%. Exterior Temperature energy was at 1% both ways (battery cooling going to KC and a bit of warming halfway on the return.) Accessories always seems to be 2%.
That seems really strange. With my Mach-E, I don’t see noticeable consumption increase until the temp gets below about 50F. Maybe the battery conditioning algorithm is different on the Lightning. I’m anxious to compare when I get my truck, if ever.

davehu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lighting Lariat ER, Iconic Silver
Occupation
retired
Interesting analysis from ABRP’s web site from data they have collected so far from their Lightning users (https://web.abetterrouteplanner.com/compare/cars/) when compared to the experience of those posting on this thread:

262D36C9-0BEF-442D-8F43-DDB1B41F9DB6.png
the chart your showing is for a for a " are computed on a hypothetical road trip of 600mi at an average speed of 70mph and a minimum leg length of 90m" not real world driving.
Sponsored