• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Lock button on door handle

tx_lightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F150, 2022 Lightning XLT XR
I'm curious about two things.

1) sometimes the door lock button on my XLT works perfectly and other times it just is very finicky. Is it a capacitive button or push?

2) when i walk up to the truck it does some clicks that sound like unlocking. Does anyone know what's going on in the sequence as you get closer to the beast?
Sponsored

Intellibeam

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Iced Blue Silver
Compared to my Ranger, the Lightning is defintely more finicky with the proximity with the key and handles. I've always had my keys in my backpack and could walk up and put my hand under the handle and 10/10 opens. With my Lightning, I've had to do a twist around to have it pointed at the truck about 5/10 times. The Ranger also didn't have a physical button, it was touch and was super reliable.

OP
OP
tx_lightning

tx_lightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F150, 2022 Lightning XLT XR
I haven't had any issues with the unlock mechanism. The lock is being finicky and I've been using the bottom two button on the keypad to make sure it's locked.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
That button is finnicky and as noted - that fob has to be very close to the driver door for it to unlock via the handle too. I so hope they get the PAAK working well and get it released soon. I added my personal code to the door lock via the screen but never even tested it, haven't touched the keypad. I miss a good working PAAK.

Maximum Effort

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Self employed
I'm curious about two things.

1) sometimes the door lock button on my XLT works perfectly and other times it just is very finicky. Is it a capacitive button or push?

2) when i walk up to the truck it does some clicks that sound like unlocking. Does anyone know what's going on in the sequence as you get closer to the beast?
1) yes they seem more finicky on the lightning compared to my powerboost and the 2019 ranger we had previously.
2) I believe the sound you here are relays for the proximity lighting.

Sponsored

Villageidit

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ram 1500, 2008 Honda Element,
Occupation
Retired
A different brand but I had trouble with the lock function on my new car (Genesis G70). Found I needed to make sure I only touch the outside of the handle and not curl any fingers under. Works every time I do this. Maybe a similar problem with the Lightning?

Crilly

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 Mache GTpe
I find it hard to push the lock button with out my other fingers going behind the handle. If I make a fist first and push the button with my thumb, then everything works as it should.

Reactions: GDN

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
I find it hard to push the lock button with out my other fingers going behind the handle. If I make a fist first and push the button with my thumb, then everything works as it should.
I'm trying to understand that button completely - if I'm going to do something after the door closes I'll press the two bottom buttons on the keypad. That may not work for a trim level that doesn't have the keypad however. I don't want to stand at the truck fumbling with buttons either way though. I'll use the fob or phone.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
Give it a "fist bump". I make a fist and use a knuckle to lock my truck.

And if my hands are full, I've been known to use my nose. ;)

Maximum Effort

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Self employed
A different brand but I had trouble with the lock function on my new car (Genesis G70). Found I needed to make sure I only touch the outside of the handle and not curl any fingers under. Works every time I do this. Maybe a similar problem with the Lightning?
Yes, this was also a lesson I had to learn on my previous Raptor.

Sponsored

roddiaz1

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER Carbonized Grey
Same problem here, Lightning_TX, especially on the driver-side door. Passenger side seems to work so much better. I usually have to ā€œbumpā€ the driver-side button three or four times to get it lock. Passenger side locks with a single bump every time.

As far as unlocking, either because the phone and fob are competing, I have a mixed bag of experience with the un-lock. Sometimes I can walk up to the truck, and a few feet away it ā€œrecognizesā€ something and unlocks itself, so that when I reach the door handle it opens right away. Other times, I have to touch the handle (or tug the handle) then it unlocks, but wonā€™t open, resulting in a secondary tug of the handle in order to open the door. I have to remind myself not to tug hard, because when you tug hard and itā€˜s not unlockedā€¦you look like an idiot. And. I don;t need to add more fuel to that fire. Iā€™m sure at some point Iā€™ll figure out all these intricacies of the fob/phone-as-a-key interactions.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
Took me forever to figure out the door lock. I disabled the unlock on approach. As I understand it, to lock you can't be touching the inside of the door handle. I typically use my pointer finger or the fist->thumb approach to prevent this. To unlock, I grasp the door handle and pause a half second until I hear the locks click, then open. Works reliably well from front driver/passenger doors.

The rear doors, while they have the button, do not seem to work at all for me.
Sponsored