• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Loud surge/boom and then electric static from speakers

O’Majestic1’slightnigF150

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F350 F250 F250 Taurus Cessna Super Air Natique
Occupation
Retired Engineer & Product Developer
I was the OP on one of the threads. Ford never “officially” contacted me. As stated, this is definitely a known issue. I also have a ‘22 Mach E GTPE and this issue is / has occurred on Mach E’s and posted in the Mach E forum. Technology is a bitch. RF interference (RFI) is a mother to manage. Digital, not so much. RFI is why many auto builders are dropping AM radio from their vehicles. You should hear the fingernails on chalkboard audio the Mach E emits when using the turn signals! Back to the topic, I did open an NHTSB case immediately and was contacted by the “feds” and provided follow up details. I have 10k miles on the Lightning and the noise problem has only happened the once but I do try to remember and kill all audio before logging off.
Sponsored

Gimme_my_MME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Engineer
A software fix for this has now been released.

SSM 51663 2021-2023 F-150/Expedition - Pop Noise And/Or Static In Speakers At Start Up
2021-2023 F-150/Expedition may exhibit a pop noise and/or static in the speakers at start up that cannot be turned down or off using the audio system controls. To correct the condition, reprogram the audio digital signal processing module (DSP) to the latest software level using the Ford Diagnosis and Repair System (FDRS) diagnostic scan tool. For claiming, use causal part 18B849 and applicable labor operations in Section 10 of the Service Labor Time Standards (SLTS) Manual.

data003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Computer Nerd
A software fix for this has now been released.

SSM 51663 2021-2023 F-150/Expedition - Pop Noise And/Or Static In Speakers At Start Up
2021-2023 F-150/Expedition may exhibit a pop noise and/or static in the speakers at start up that cannot be turned down or off using the audio system controls. To correct the condition, reprogram the audio digital signal processing module (DSP) to the latest software level using the Ford Diagnosis and Repair System (FDRS) diagnostic scan tool. For claiming, use causal part 18B849 and applicable labor operations in Section 10 of the Service Labor Time Standards (SLTS) Manual.
Looks like it’s time to fire up FDRS! Thanks!

Replika

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MR. PLOW - ER Lariat
Can anyone confirm that the issue stopped after receiving this update? I went to the NHTSA page today and there are dozens more reports, including one today.

Gimme_my_MME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Can anyone confirm that the issue stopped after receiving this update? I went to the NHTSA page today and there are dozens more reports, including one today.
Where can you see what other complaints of a specific type there are?

Sponsored

Replika

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MR. PLOW - ER Lariat
Where can you see what other complaints of a specific type there are?
Since they are owner-submitted, they are listed under a few different categories. Typically "unknown or other," "electrical system" and "equipment."

NTHSA page for Ford F150 Super Cab - scroll to the bottom, click complaints, and read the individual reports. Some of these are Lightnings, most are probably not due to sales numbers. They all use the same stereo equipment.

So many of these mention hearing damage and tinnitus (ringing). Really sad. :(

Gimme_my_MME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Since they are owner-submitted, they are listed under a few different categories. Typically "unknown or other," "electrical system" and "equipment."

NTHSA page for Ford F150 Super Cab - scroll to the bottom, click complaints, and read the individual reports. Some of these are Lightnings, most are probably not due to sales numbers. They all use the same stereo equipment.

So many of these mention hearing damage and tinnitus (ringing). Really sad. :(
Thank you. That is infinitely easier than my previous method of pulling down the entire years database and filtering!

data003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Computer Nerd
Last edited:

Bandit216

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE, Lightning Lariat
I updated the DSP with FDRS this morning. The sound system makes a pop sound now when I open the door (truck is off). I wonder if it is dissipating energy right before it expects you to turn it on. Odd.

Sounds like others are experiencing this too https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/speakers-making-popping-noise-upon-entry.18231/
I did the DSP update this morning. After just now reading your post, I went down to my Lightning, opened the door, and there it was, a mild static pop - not loud or obnoxious, but definitely there.
Sponsored