• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Metal ‘tink’ sound rear of cab

kbuicker

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning
November 23 UPDATE: The guys at my local dealership have been looking and looking for the cause of the sound. Bed is off and they are now considering a broken rivet in the rear of the cab area. I will keep updating this post.

----- original post-----
Is anyone familiar with a metal ‘tink’ sound in the rear of the cab in the new Lightning? Mine sounds like it’s coming from the passenger rear side. I know the dealership can look at it, but maybe you guys? . It’s a metal ‘tink’ sound when hitting a bump. Very slight sound but really annoying I can’t find it. It’s not the seatbelt or jack. I’ve raised and lowered the seats, had someone sit back there etc. can not figure it out.

I thought it was the bracket holding the jack but I’ve removed it and tried tightening it, still exists.

thanks in advance guys.
Sponsored

Last edited:

PopsGG

First Name
Gerardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Inside the cab? My tow hitch makes that noise on bumps.

Whammy Bar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1971 F100 + 2022⚡Lariat ER
Occupation
Electrician
Think the jack is back there. Maybe check and secure things?

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla Model X, F250 SD diesel 6.0
My guess would have been the seat belts, that's where my noises with other vehicles have come from in the past (and even occasionally inside the retractors themselves) - but you say that you've checked them.

I can't say I've heard any noises from mine, sorry.

Sponsored
OP
OP
kbuicker

kbuicker

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning
OP
OP
kbuicker

kbuicker

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning
Think the jack is back there. Maybe check and secure things?
I've taken the jack out, and thought it was the mounting bracket. Still could be. I thought maybe the metal bracket that has a metal o-ring to hold the strap, so immobilized it thinking that was it. Only the hear the sound again :) . Ugh. I also rested the jack on the floormat, and refastened the strap and drove around, and the sound didn't change. Maybe it's within the jack or the bag. I will investigate further. Maybe putting the jack in front with me, will narrow where the sound is coming from.

AT193

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning - Lariat SR - Antimatter Blue
Is anyone else hearing a metal "clink" noise coming from the wheels when you start moving or come to a stop? Maybe something with the brake pads?

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
Check the wire harness going to the rear window defroster. It was a culprit on the gas truck for making a rattling noise.

Sponsored

Dakovich

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning LER
Is anyone else hearing a metal "clink" noise coming from the wheels when you start moving or come to a stop? Maybe something with the brake pads?
Yes, was wondering what that was all about.

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unfortunately, wasn't it :( . I'm taking it in to see if they can figure it out. I've also noticed, the warning message for the seatbelts shows red after someone leaves that seat. It's showing red like the person doesn't have their seatbelt on. Maybe it's that sensor I'm hearing. Who knows.
This happens for me all the time. When the kids get out of the truck, it'll show red for one or two of the rear seats, even with nothing on them. I suspect that's a software bug. Once I select OK, it doesn't come back.

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Funny story time: my wife's uncle worked in car dealerships for many decades. He tells the story of one buyer who had a rattle in his car. Despite all his efforts to find it, he simply couldn't - he took everything out of the trunk, they held seats, windows, everything in place, and still it rattled. Getting desperate, the tech suggests "how about I ride in the trunk and see if I can hear anything back there", and so they do that... the tech heard the rattle, seemingly coming from the rear quarterpanel. Now, in some cars the body panels were units, assembled at the factory, and had hollow spaces. The decision was made to cut open a hole on the inside of the quarterpanel.

The tech cut open a U-shaped flap and reached in, feeling around where the rattle had come from. Finding an object, he tugged it loose and pulled it through. It was a Coors can, suspended on a wire from a sheet metal screw, and taped to it was a note that said "you finally found that S.O.B."

I don't know if that's true, but he swears it is. And if it were true, the construction of the quarter panel meant someone in the factory decided to play a trick.

A light and playful diversion on a Tuesday for y'all...

KniceHit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Ford F-150 Lariat 5.0L
I do know the sound. Had it in my 2015 and my current lightning. I can't figure it out either but think it is one of two things. Like you said, a relay that clicks for the cooling seats, or a single rock or pebble being tossed up and hitting the bottom of the Aluminum Cab when you take off.

OP
OP
kbuicker

kbuicker

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning
Couldn't be the rock, cause I have it every time, and I mean every time, the truck hits a low spot, or flex in the road.
Sponsored