• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Mobile charger rate setting?

JustaProGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
Are you able to change either the truck or the mobile charger settings when plugged into 220 or is it just going to grab 32 amps when plugged in?
Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
The ford mobile charger doesn't have the ability to derate, so it will operate at 30A / 220V if plugged into a 220V outlet.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
The ford mobile charger doesn't have the ability to derate, so it will operate at 30A / 220V if plugged into a 220V outlet.
If you cobble up an adapter that lets you plug in to 240V using the NEMA 5-15 dongle, it will operate at 12A on 240V.

Note: This is not a recommended mode of operation!

ScubaSteve_TheReal

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Platinum - Carbonized Gray Metallic
Occupation
Derivatives
If you cobble up an adapter that lets you plug in to 240V using the NEMA 5-15 dongle, it will operate at 12A on 240V.

Note: This is not a recommended mode of operation!
I’m having problems locating one of these or cobbling one up. I need one of these for certain situations. Not having much luck with goog locating one yet. Any more information from you on this would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I’m having problems locating one of these or cobbling one up. I need one of these for certain situations. Not having much luck with goog locating one yet. Any more information from you on this would be greatly appreciated.
You need a 10-30 (or whatever fits the 240V receptacle you plan to use) plug, a 5-15 female cord end and a short length of 12 gauge (minimum) portable cord. If you don’t understand how to wire it, you shouldn’t be doing it.

ScubaSteve_TheReal

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Derivatives
You need a 10-30 (or whatever fits the 240V receptacle you plan to use) plug, a 5-15 female cord end and a short length of 12 gauge (minimum) portable cord. If you don’t understand how to wire it, you shouldn’t be doing it.
Thanks I think I get it. I just was unaware if I’m reading your post correctly that the Ford mobile charger was able to operate at 240v 16from the 5-15 male end if configured in the manner above and be able to provide 240
Thanks I think I pretty much get it. I just was unaware if I’m reading your post correctly that the Ford mobile charger was able to operate automatically to 240v 12amp from the 5-15 end adapter if configured in the manner above. I’d probably be coming from a 14-50 to a 5-15. If we only had the ability in the charge settings to drop amps from 32 down to 24/16/12 etc all would be easier on weaker circuits.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks I think I get it. I just was unaware if I’m reading your post correctly that the Ford mobile charger was able to operate at 240v 16from the 5-15 male end if configured in the manner above and be able to provide 240

Thanks I think I pretty much get it. I just was unaware if I’m reading your post correctly that the Ford mobile charger was able to operate automatically to 240v 12amp from the 5-15 end adapter if configured in the manner above. I’d probably be coming from a 14-50 to a 5-15. If we only had the ability in the charge settings to drop amps from 32 down to 24/16/12 etc all would be easier on weaker circuits.
You just have to make sure nothing else gets plugged in to that cord or the magic smoke gets let out.

Disclaimer: A user on the Mach-E forum came up with this hack - I haven’t done it myself, only passing it on.

cwstnsko

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
There are a number of inexpensive portable EVSEs that are adjustable. If your situation would benefit from being able to choose to charge at a lower rate, one of these EVSEs is a relatively small investment. If you were to turn around and sell your Ford Mobile unit, you might even be able sell if for more than the adjustable units cost.

ScubaSteve_TheReal

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Derivatives
I appreciate the feedback and ideas. I am just entertaining all options. I actually ended up with a couple extra new Ford mobile chargers at significantly under retail so I have them. I’ve considered selling and getting other more flexible alternatives however. If FORD would just engineer an update in our truck settings via an update for reducing charging amps it would solve lots of people’s situations. Basically I’ve been hoping FORD reads these forums and is listening to feedback for improvements, maybe I’m just dreaming lol.
Thanks for all the ideas.

Sponsored

stickyfingers

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
I appreciate the feedback and ideas. I am just entertaining all options. I actually ended up with a couple extra new Ford mobile chargers at significantly under retail so I have them. I’ve considered selling and getting other more flexible alternatives however. If FORD would just engineer an update in our truck settings via an update for reducing charging amps it would solve lots of people’s situations. Basically I’ve been hoping FORD reads these forums and is listening to feedback for improvements, maybe I’m just dreaming lol.
I have been waiting 4 months for my FORD Mobile charger which I am supposed to get Free but they are backordered. I've heard that these chargers are not great as you can't throttle them down. I ended up buying Amproad from amazon and its great - can adjust amperage. However, at $500 CAD I'd take the free option is FORD can ship it out.

ScubaSteve_TheReal

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Derivatives
I have been waiting 4 months for my FORD Mobile charger which I am supposed to get Free but they are backordered. I've heard that these chargers are not great as you can't throttle them down. I ended up buying Amproad from amazon and its great - can adjust amperage. However, at $500 CAD I'd take the free option is FORD can ship it out.
Well on my 2023 it was $500 usd charge on window sticker vs included with truck on 2022 ones. I picked up extra ones on eBay new in box for lake cabin and work usage though.

cwstnsko

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Adjustability within the truck would be a nice feature, if it is technically feasible. Since we don’t know exactly how Ford spec’d the on-board charger(s), we have no way to know if they are software addressable/configurable, or if they are standalone components that just provide and respond to standard J1772 signaling as defined in J1772. There are a few EV brands that provide some degree of adjustability within the vehicle, but most brands do not. The assumption is that the owner wants the vehicle to charge as fast as possible for a given input and the J1772 standard is that the EVSE communicates the max available current through the pilot signal.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Adjustability within the truck would be a nice feature, if it is technically feasible. Since we don’t know exactly how Ford spec’d the on-board charger(s), we have no way to know if they are software addressable/configurable, or if they are standalone components that just provide and respond to standard J1772 signaling as defined in J1772. There are a few EV brands that provide some degree of adjustability within the vehicle, but most brands do not. The assumption is that the owner wants the vehicle to charge as fast as possible for a given input and the J1772 standard is that the EVSE communicates the max available current through the pilot signal.
The onboard charger(s) has to be software-controllable. Notice how the charge rate slows as full charge is approached. The truck will also slow the charge rate if the J1772 port overheats.

cwstnsko

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
The onboard charger(s) has to be software-controllable. Notice how the charge rate slows as full charge is approached. The truck will also slow the charge rate if the J1772 port overheats.
There has to be logic that controls the behavior of the on-board charger(s), but that doesn’t mean that the truck automatically has the ability to address the OBC in real-time and adjust the behavior. The logic could be in firmware.
I hope the OBC is addressable in real-time and a simple software feature can be added, but the fact that this feature is only supported by a few models of EVs, makes me wonder if addressable OBCs are not as common as we assume they would be.
Sponsored