• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Mobile Charging at 3KW

djwildstar

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER, 2023 Mach-E GTPE
Occupation
Information Security
For daily charging, you should ideally have something better than the Ford Mobile Connector. As a daily charger, it has a number of drawbacks:
  • It seems intended to keep on your truck, for occasional use on the road, and I have heard several people report that it eventually fails when used as a daily charging solution.
  • It has multiple possible weaknesses, including the outlet and the connections at either end of the adapter cord; these connections can overheat causing the charger to reduce power or fail to charge.
  • The mobile charger delivers a maximum of 30A at 240V (7.2kW) even when plugged into a NEMA 14-50 outlet on a 50A circuit (which can safely deliver up to 40A, 9.6kW).
Your best option is to get a hard-wired EVSE installed. I've also heard multiple reports of builder-grade NEMA 14-50 outlets failing under EV-charging use, particularly with frequent plugging and un-plugging of the charger. Since you already have a suitable circuit to the plug, it should be a relatively inexpensive job for an electrician to install an EV charger. There are a number of good chargers (ChargePoint, Wallbox, Tesla, Clipper Creek) that would be suitable, and you can often get one at a discount or rebate from your power company.

I'm not terribly fond of the Ford Mobile Connector as a mobile charger. I personally use a J+ Booster2 for my mobile charger, because it offers adjustable charging current up to 40A and multiple socket adapters. Other folks have reported good success with the Tesla Mobile Connector, it's plug adapter kit, and a TeslaTap charging adapter -- I decided not to go that route because there's no way to adjust the charging current: Tesla cars allow you to do this from the car's screens, while Ford doesn't.
Sponsored

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
The Ford mobile charger is crap. Those who bought a '22 Lightning received it as an included accessory with the truck. Those of us who bought a '23 Lightning had to pay extra to learn how bad it its. Best advice is to just get a different mobile charger, or better yet a direct-wire EVSE in your garage. You'll get several recommendations -- Tesla, ChargePoint, WallBox, Grizzl-e, etc.. They're all good. The only mobile connectors I personally have experience with are the Tesla ones.
Agreed - I left mine still sealed in the frunk for emergency use only.

I read about all the failures, thermal throttling, and red ring of death lights on the Mach E forums.

Best to get a real EVSE.

My Emporia has been going strong even in 120 degree temps year around.