• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Mobile Charging at 3KW

tcfila

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER
For the last few days, I’ve been charging at 3KW. The light on the far left of the mobile charger is amber, other is blue.

I put a meter on it and it is getting 240v.

I put on a different charger and outlet and that works fine.

It’s been in the mid 90s outside. Is it possible that it is charging at a reduced rate because of the heat?

Thanks,
Tim
Sponsored

OP
OP

tcfila

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER
Is it odd that it overheats at 95 degrees ambient? That seems fairly low for something that goes in the garage.

Tim

p52Ranch

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XLT Lightning, Badlands 7MT, New Holland 4030
Does the mobile charger feel warm to the touch? Is the charger itself sitting in direct sunlight? If you unplug the mobile charger and cool it down (say in the house) then will it start charging correctly for a time? If you still get errors and it doesn't work properly then perhaps it is defective.

OP
OP

tcfila

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER
It is never in the sun. It was extremely hot to the touch. I brought it in for an hour or so and then replugged in. Operated at 6KW for about 20 min and then it went back down to 3KW.
Tim

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Is it odd that it overheats at 95 degrees ambient? That seems fairly low for something that goes in the garage.

Tim
No, it is not odd, because a lot of people are having this issue at much lower temps. It is not built for everyday use. It's under warranty, take a video of it with the amber light, and ask for a warranty replacement.

Then, check with your utility company for discounted units or rebates.

I have two JuiceBox 48s load sharing a 60amp circuit. I have had zero issues.

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, and more...
Occupation
Semi-retired electrical/computer/software engineer
The Ford mobile charger is crap. Those who bought a '22 Lightning received it as an included accessory with the truck. Those of us who bought a '23 Lightning had to pay extra to learn how bad it its. Best advice is to just get a different mobile charger, or better yet a direct-wire EVSE in your garage. You'll get several recommendations -- Tesla, ChargePoint, WallBox, Grizzl-e, etc.. They're all good. The only mobile connectors I personally have experience with are the Tesla ones.

COrocket

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
It’s just a super crappy charger. I have the Tesla equivalent that I’ve been using daily for 5 years and have never had a problem. If the Ford one was engineered correctly there’s no reason it couldn’t work fine daily in a 95 degree garage for the life of the vehicle. I’d definitely have Ford replace it under warranty so hopefully they will one day get the clue.

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
The ford one works just fine, you can use it daily if need be. The biggest problem is people not plugging the dongle in all the way. Also check your 14-50 receptacle could be sloppy.

If everything is plugged normally then it could be an internal evse problem. Try on 120v see if it happens too.

Sponsored

Peddyr

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning Lariat SR
Used my Ford mobile charger from Nov. when I picked the truck up, to a few weeks ago when mine struggled to go above 3KW. It wasn't until the temps reached the 90's that it began happening. Even on the coldest days during the winter here in NH, it never dipped below 6kw. Based on the advice from several people on this forum who are much smarter than I, I bought an Emporia and it has been a major upgrade. Steady 9kw every day regardless of temp. Highly recommend

OP
OP

tcfila

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER
Stopped by the dealer this morning. Wrote up an order to replace it. Should have it in a few days.

Tim

mb0220

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER
The Ford mobile charger is crap. Those who bought a '22 Lightning received it as an included accessory with the truck. Those of us who bought a '23 Lightning had to pay extra to learn how bad it its. Best advice is to just get a different mobile charger, or better yet a direct-wire EVSE in your garage. You'll get several recommendations -- Tesla, ChargePoint, WallBox, Grizzl-e, etc.. They're all good. The only mobile connectors I personally have experience with are the Tesla ones.
To this I would add that you might want to check with your utility to see if they offer rebates for installing a home EVSE. In my case they had specific models that earned a $500 rebate which fully covered my cost.

Peddyr

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning Lariat SR
Stopped by the dealer this morning. Wrote up an order to replace it. Should have it in a few days.

Tim
So you are replacing a Ford mobile charger with another Ford mobile charger?

OP
OP

tcfila

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER
Yea, but I have a Tesla mobile, an Amazon basics charger and the Ford Wall mount. I keep the Tesla in the truck in case I need it somewhere and have a bunch of different plugs for it. I’ll keep using/replacing the crap ford one.
Sponsored