• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Charging times with Ford Mobile Charger

LOV

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 2015 SuperCab FX4, 2.7L Ecoboost
Occupation
Climate Aware Livin Coach
Bottom line: I’m happy with 80 amp charging capability of the FCSP.

BUT, I have to admit I was extremely frustrated that my new Lariat ER did not include the FCSP when I drove home from the dealer. I paid for it, why did I have to wait 2 weeks for Sunrun to ship it from CA to PA?

I used a local licensed electrician to install a 100 amp circuit, for 2 reasons, 1) my electrician is a trusted frIend, 2) my Sunrun “consultant” actually recommended it because he admitted Sunrun would not be able to get my “project” done in a timely manner. In fact they canceled two appointments to assess my property/needs, which I started scheduling with them in November. So I have to say, I am underwhelmed with Sunrun…

Like several in this thread, I suffered from a lack of home charging capabilities when I took delivery in mid-December 2022. During a cold snap of several nights in the single-digits (F), I got several warnings to plug in the Lightning when I parked it at home for the night. I eventually used a 110V outlet in a shed to trickle charge. It took 3 days to come get back up to 80%.

Anyway, it worked out, I finally received the FCSP from Sunrun 12/27, and my electrician completed the install on 12/30. I am getting about 36 miles per charging hour at about 16.6 kW (starting at 22%, at about 50F). A drastic improvement in home charging experience for my Lightning (with 100% renewables) than my little i3 charged on that 110v circuit.

Ford F-150 Lightning Charging times with Ford Mobile Charger 730B1B40-2BF2-4A52-B438-5091FE2FEECC
Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Bottom line: I’m happy with 80 amp charging capability of the FCSP.

BUT, I have to admit I was extremely frustrated that my new Lariat ER did not include the FCSP when I drove home from the dealer. I paid for it, why did I have to wait 2 weeks for Sunrun to ship it from CA to PA?

I used a local licensed electrician to install a 100 amp circuit, for 2 reasons, 1) my electrician is a trusted frIend, 2) my Sunrun “consultant” actually recommended it because he admitted Sunrun would not be able to get my “project” done in a timely manner. In fact they canceled two appointments to assess my property/needs, which I started scheduling with them in November. So I have to say, I am underwhelmed with Sunrun…

Like several in this thread, I suffered from a lack of home charging capabilities when I took delivery in mid-December 2022. During a cold snap of several nights in the single-digits (F), I got several warnings to plug in the Lightning when I parked it at home for the night. I eventually used a 110V outlet in a shed to trickle charge. It took 3 days to come get back up to 80%.

Anyway, it worked out, I finally received the FCSP from Sunrun 12/27, and my electrician completed the install on 12/30. I am getting about 36 miles per charging hour at about 16.6 kW (starting at 22%, at about 50F). A drastic improvement in home charging experience for my Lightning (with 100% renewables) than my little i3 charged on that 110v circuit.
One note on your write-up. Chargers don't supply miles, they supply kW which add kWh to the vehicle. How many miles that adds depends on many factors, including your driving style, local vs. highway, weather, etc.

People don't say they went to the gas station and added 300 miles, they say they put in 30 gallons of gas. The more we start talking about kWh, the more people will understand that a kilowatt of electricity can deliver vastly different range.

OP
OP

tcfila

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER
But, there is a reason people need to know how many miles are added in an hour.

If you need a top off before a long trip, you need to know roughly how long it will take.

Reactions: LOV

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
But, there is a reason people need to know how many miles are added in an hour.

If you need a top off before a long trip, you need to know roughly how long it will take.
If we could trust the factoring the app, DCFC dispenser or truck onboard displays might or do show in planning leg charges, I'll continue using my current drive MPK and SOC to know where my next charge is needed and how much time will be needed.

YankeeCP

First Name
CP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat SR Lightning
One note on your write-up. Chargers don't supply miles, they supply kW which add kWh to the vehicle. How many miles that adds depends on many factors, including your driving style, local vs. highway, weather, etc.

People don't say they went to the gas station and added 300 miles, they say they put in 30 gallons of gas. The more we start talking about kWh, the more people will understand that a kilowatt of electricity can deliver vastly different range.

Might make sense but even Ford uses Miles added on some of their documents

240V NEMA 14-50 outlet (an average of 14 miles of
range per charging hour for standard-range model and 120V an average of 13 miles of range per charging hour for CONNECTOR extended-range model)* which we recommend installed
by a licensed electrician

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Might make sense but even Ford uses Miles added on some of their documents

240V NEMA 14-50 outlet (an average of 14 miles of
range per charging hour for standard-range model and 120V an average of 13 miles of range per charging hour for CONNECTOR extended-range model)* which we recommend installed
by a licensed electrician

Right. Because the majority of people are too stupid to understand anything else. Let's work to educate people. (y)

That avoids the posts in the winter: "I charged my truck to add 100 miles, but only was able to drive 70. Has anyone else experienced this?"

YankeeCP

First Name
CP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat SR Lightning
Right. Because the majority of people are too stupid to understand anything else. Let's work to educate people. (y)

That avoids the posts in the winter: "I charged my truck to add 100 miles, but only was able to drive 70. Has anyone else experienced this?"
Right on! Can’t wait for those post to end

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
Right on! Can’t wait for those post to end
You're gonna wait a very long time :) Over on MME forum these are still sprouting like kudzu. Two full years since the first deliveries. My favorite variant is "I paid for ER Battery, but Ford installed SR Battery".
Sponsored