• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Jarratt

First Name
Jarratt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tundra. Tacoma, Model 3, Lariat Max Tow, lng range
Some really interesting discussion in this video with reference to the architecture behind the charge port. TLDR there is no way they do two charge options side-by-side, future Ford vehicles will be 100% NACS. This surprised me!

Before seeing this video I believed that the reason so many CCS1 chargers perform poorly is because of they way they were implemented by various companies that have adopted them. I thought that the right software and hardware might be able to get equivalent performance that is the standard 99+% of the time with the TSLA NACS plug. After viewing the video, I appreciate how much better the engineering is for the TSLA interface. The cable size and nozzle weight are also big deals. I've had to help folks plug in with CCS1.

Looking out several years, there is no rationale for two competing plugs from a consumer standpoint.

One thing I don't understand is that CCS1 is an open standard available to any enterprise that wants to use it. I believe NACS has never been through the standard-setting slog and is owned by Tesla. Isn't this an impediment to broad option. I would understand why companies that make chargers wouldn't want to be subject to Elon's whims.
Sponsored

Ekiehn

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning
When I heard the announcement I was on road trip... CCS failure and 4 or 5 feet across a walkway 8 Tesla chargers empty waiting and not able to be used... I will love it when I have an option since when CCS works it can work very well (EA plug and charge Charger pumped 183 KW into my F-150 for several minutes).

My dream hack is once we get the adapter and software upgrade is to tie the adapter into the passenger side blank charge port... then I can pull into a tesla charging station and not take up two spots, plug in and charge.... we have 3/4 of a year to figure that one out but that would be the coolest mod.

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
When I heard the announcement I was on road trip... CCS failure and 4 or 5 feet across a walkway 8 Tesla chargers empty waiting and not able to be used... I will love it when I have an option since when CCS works it can work very well (EA plug and charge Charger pumped 183 KW into my F-150 for several minutes).

My dream hack is once we get the adapter and software upgrade is to tie the adapter into the passenger side blank charge port... then I can pull into a tesla charging station and not take up two spots, plug in and charge.... we have 3/4 of a year to figure that one out but that would be the coolest mod.
Engineering wise and cost wise this would be a heavy lift, but it would be the most user/charge network friendly way to do this. For the end user it just makes sense.

Ekiehn

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning
Engineering wise and cost wise this would be a heavy lift, but it would be the most user/charge network friendly way to do this. For the end user it just makes sense.
Yup, from the Ford perspective I can't see them offering this (maybe for those of us who would want the home integration system) but on a personal level I think I might see if I can build it myself after it comes out... 😉
Sponsored