• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
Oh, so you can fix something by saying it’s not true? It must be nice to have that kind of power.
I already clarified that I believe *Tesla* has fixed it (seemingly lower frequency of this issue in the last few years), and that it seems that seems the issue is rare enough in general that it hasn't effected the high satisfaction with Tesla charging.

You're now just deliberately misrepresenting my position which I've thoroughly explained.
Sponsored

Texas Dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'04 Envoy XL 4WD, '15 Fusion Energi, '19 Niro EV
Occupation
Engineer
…people are far, far happier with Tesla charging using NACS…
I think that’s a very subjective statement. I’m a “people” and I’m not far, far happier with Tesla charging using NACS. The only reason I want to use the Superchargers at all is because there are some located where there are no CCS chargers but there are NACS chargers.

On the other hand there are many more locations where there are CCS chargers but no NACS chargers. I think that very, very few people have enough experience with both NACS and CCS charging to choose NACS over CCS. Personally I have had very good experience with CCS and I dislike Tesla enough that I would prefer never to use NACS if I didn’t have to.

Last edited:

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
On another note; with supercharger cables being liquid cooled, does that make adding a 5 foot extension to the adapter more complicated? Or just a thicker cable will do it?
My somewhat educated guess is that any type of extension like that is going to limit charging speeds to reduce heating. If you make the cable thick enough to handle full current without cooling, it would be far to unweildy and costly.

Still an extension that lets you charge at 30kW or 40kW is much better than sitting on an L1 or L2 for emergency charging if no CCS fast chargers are around.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chado

First Name
chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy, BMW, Tesla
Lots of BMW i3 owners report having to lift up the CCS charger to get it to charge due to the weight, EA has actually recommended this to many i3 users when they called in to ask for help with charging.

Tesla charger is smaller than CCS but I'm sure I could break both if I wanted to.

I don't understand the Tesla hate in America, Europe doesn't seem to have as much hate for Tesla.
Tesla is the most American made car, nothing more red white and blue than a Fremont made Tesla.
America is a very hateful place.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER

Sponsored

mastapsi356

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future F150b Lightning
Based on my understanding, while NACS can do V2X, it would not be compatible with the current HIS.
The exact line in the specification is "The North American Charging Standard is compatible with Vehicle to X (i.e. Vehicle to load, Vehicle to home, vehicle to grid) power transfer. Future versions of this technical specification will specify the functional requirements and specifications required to achieve vehicle to X power transfer."

There is absolutely no reason that the current HIS couldn't be implemented under NACS as it currently stands. It would probably require some hardware wiring changes on the HIS side, but it's not like they are doing to sell the same system once they switch. Really the only bit that will need to charge is the EVSE, which will need relays to swap the power pins from AC inlet to DC outlet.

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
It's not subjective, "people" is definitively more than one. You are a person, singular, not people, plural.

https://electrek.co/2022/08/22/tesl...experience-satisfaction-problem-going-public/
1685563268268.png
Yeah, it's not even really debatable that, overall, that EV drivers are happier with Tesla's network. Poll after poll agrees. Virtually everyone who has used both extensively agrees. And anecdotally, the amount of complaints about CCS dwarfs Tesla despite being far, far fewer CCS cars road-tripping.

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
Lots of BMW i3 owners report having to lift up the CCS charger to get it to charge due to the weight, EA has actually recommended this to many i3 users when they called in to ask for help with charging.

Tesla charger is smaller than CCS but I'm sure I could break both if I wanted to.

I don't understand the Tesla hate in America, Europe doesn't seem to have as much hate for Tesla.
Tesla is the most American made car, nothing more red white and blue than a Fremont made Tesla.
America is a very hateful place.
Yep, i3 is the case where I had to lift up on the charger to keep it seated or it would fail to connect and not say why. With the Lightning there have been lots of other failures (none catastrophic), though none directly attributable to the CCS port/plug. Then again, I never had a Tesla port/plug related failure, either.

Yeah, it's getting crazy how everyone has to take an extreme position on every subject. It happens with ICE vs EV a lot: People who have no experience with EVs, clearly don't understand them, and are obviously "informed" by Facebook meme-level info, but hate EVs because someone they don't like likes EVs, basically.

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
I think that’s a very subjective statement.
Not really.

Satisfaction polls show Tesla is far higher (see Zprime's post), charging difficulties WAY lower (per PlugInAmerica), people who have used both extensively generally agree Tesla is superior (see Out of Spec Motoring, for instance, who does TONS of road trips and testing), etc.

and I dislike Tesla enough that I would prefer never to use NACS if I didn’t have to.
That's irrelevant to the plug design and network satisfaction, but your position on Tesla was obvious from the beginning, because objectively, it's obvious the Tesla charging network is superior, and that NACS must not be as fragile as implied or that wouldn't be the case.

Texas Dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'04 Envoy XL 4WD, '15 Fusion Energi, '19 Niro EV
Occupation
Engineer
Yeah, it's not even really debatable that, overall, that EV drivers are happier with Tesla's network. Poll after poll agrees. Virtually everyone who has used both extensively agrees. And anecdotally, the amount of complaints about CCS dwarfs Tesla despite being far, far fewer CCS cars road-tripping.
Way to spin! A 26% dissatisfaction rate for NACS charging does not qualify as making people far, far happier than the 33% dissatisfaction rate for all DCFC charging. Supercharging currently only has to work with one brand of EVs, that satisfaction rate is probably going to plummet when EVs from a half dozen EV models from different manufacturers start trying to Supercharge.

A 26% dissatisfaction rate also indicates that 1 out of 4 people were dissatisfied with their NACS charging experience, that’s hardly a statistic to be proud of.

Last edited:

Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
The exact line in the specification is "The North American Charging Standard is compatible with Vehicle to X (i.e. Vehicle to load, Vehicle to home, vehicle to grid) power transfer. Future versions of this technical specification will specify the functional requirements and specifications required to achieve vehicle to X power transfer."

There is absolutely no reason that the current HIS couldn't be implemented under NACS as it currently stands. It would probably require some hardware wiring changes on the HIS side, but it's not like they are doing to sell the same system once they switch. Really the only bit that will need to charge is the EVSE, which will need relays to swap the power pins from AC inlet to DC outlet.
Yes, this makes sense, I just meant that it wouldn't work with the existing system as is, or with just the CCS to NACS adapter.

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
Way to spin! A 26% dissatisfaction rate for NACS charging does not qualify as making people far, far happier than the 33% dissatisfaction rate for all DCFC charging.
Speaking of spin, nice try using the "average" when the only network that's above average is Tesla. You should compare Tesla to the average of CCS, not the overall average which Tesla brings way up because it's so much better.

The average of the 3 CCS networks on there is only 610, meaning 39% dissatisfaction, which is 50% higher than Tesla's 26%.

But anyway, you've now stooped to semantics of what constitutes "far" or "way" happier to pretend like Tesla's network isn't much better, which is nearly unanimous in polls and opinions from people who have used both.

A 26% dissatisfaction rate also indicates that 1 out of 4 people were dissatisfied with their NACS charging experience, that’s hardly a statistic to be proud of.
Silly strawman. I never said I was "proud of" any of this. There's room for improvement with all networks. I just disagree with your implication that NACS is unreliable because it's weaker than CCS, when tons of polling and data shows otherwise.

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
Still an extension that lets you charge at 30kW or 40kW is much better than sitting on an L1 or L2 for emergency charging if no CCS fast chargers are around.
Yeah, I'm hoping there's a small extension that derates the 250kW somewhat. Even 150kW max, 100kW continuous wouldn't be far off what my truck does anyway. Maybe it's possible. We'll see!

djwildstar

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER, 2023 Mach-E GTPE
Occupation
Information Security
How about this - make the extra port an option for future models. It involves extra hardware on the vehicle, so I have no issues paying for it.
That's essentially what's happening for current Ford EVs through the 2024 model year. The messaging from Ford clearly suggests that the NACS adapter will have some cost associated with it, essentially making it an option (that I, for one, will be happy to buy).

I'm thinking that in the short term (the 2025-2026 model years) the adapter will be built-in, and vehicles will ship with both ports -- otherwise, why not just continue selling the adapter as an add-on? A full dual-plug solution would likely add several hundred dollars to the parts cost for a vehicle, mostly for a contractor that can switch DCFC voltages and currents.

Over the long term, I'm sure Ford (and Tesla) will look at how the market is playing out and will back the eventual winner. It'll take a while to update charging infrastructure, so regardless of what the winner is, there will probably be a transition period where vehicles ship with a single port plus adapters, until eventually there is little or no demand for the adapter.

djwildstar

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER, 2023 Mach-E GTPE
Occupation
Information Security
It should be do-able, with a new EVSE and support from the vehicle.

The current Ford Charge Station Pro has separate terminals for 240V AC (Level 2 charging power into the vehicle) and 400V DC (V2H power from the vehicle battery). This makes V2X easier, since the is never a situation where 240V AC and 400V DC appear on the same pins. So a NACS H2X EVSE would need to have a contractor that can switch the NACS high-voltage pins between a 240V AC terminals (for charging power) and 400V DC terminals (for V2X power from the vehicle battery). This should be do-able, but would raise the parts cost for the EVSE.

The NACS vehicle would have to support a communication protocol that tells the vehicle to output power to the home or grid, and would have to have switching gear that would output the battery voltage on the NACS high-voltage pins. The current Ford Charge Station Pro (FCSP) uses a BlueTooth connection to the truck to tell it when to output power, and the truck connects the batteries to the high-voltage DC pins. The official J1772 V2X standard uses Ethernet over powerline communication for this. A NACS V2X solution could use either of these methods, or could enhance the current EVSE-to-vehicle signaling with V2X modes.

With these two pieces (on-vehicle support and a V2X EVSE), the existing HIS could be used as-is. The HIS uses hardwired twisted-pair signaling between the HIS and the FCSP for control, and has a separate 400V DC circuit between the EVSE and the HIS inverter. Assuming that the new EVSE supports the same signaling and 400V DC circuit, it would be a drop-in replacement.
Sponsored